Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am feeding our one year old golden Farmina Ancestral Grains formulas. Very happy with Farmina shipping and customer service.

·
Registered
19 Posts
About Farmina, grain-inclusive or not.

Here's what expert nutritionists say: Ingredients are vehicles for delivering the nutrients your dog requires. So, yes, corn can help do this, not inherently bad. But did you know that lamb is more difficult to work with than chicken (a familiar protein)? And that the ingredients combo you choose must 'work & play well' together once inside the dog?? NO way you & I can judge that.

A snap for me to read the published studies, but basically we are both amateurs. Rather important to do proper in-house feeding trials before any of its food is put on the shelves & sold. Considered the Gold Standard. Otherwise, my dogs & yours become Farmina's guinea pigs!

There are other, safer bets, established companies, known for their research & published studies.
Purina, with its 13.2 billion marketshare, has ZERO dx'd DCM cases. The other big three co.s are in the same league.

I'm a reformed food snob and a scientist - not a question of who's feeding what. I'm into facts. Your choice what to feed. Your choice what to believe about the usefulness of science. Whether to listen to expert opinion or not.

DCM is all too often a silent disease, sometimes treatable (but very expensive to do that) and kills 20% of its victims.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on TLC all stages life food. I’ve been following this thread and trying to figure out what to feed Aidan when he transitions to adult food. Right now he’s on PPP large breed. I was thinking I’d go with what Eric is feeding...the Natures instinct be natural line. Earlier today, a friend of mine came across this food and was wondering my thoughts. It looks like it has some really good ingredients, but I’m still learning all this so I thought I’d ask here. The ingredients look good, except I’m not sure about the green pea and taurine amounts. It seems you can’t get it in stores and is $64 for 30lbs.

https://www.tlcpetfood.com/dogfood/#whytlc

·
Debbie624
359 Posts
Im still wondering too about Farmina. I've kept Coco (7 months) on PPP Focus large breed puppy. I started to slowly add in Farmina Ancestral grain N & D medium puppy spelt oats chicken pomegranate about 3 weeks ago. I give her 3/4 of her food is PPP and right now 1/4 is the Farmina. Not sure if I will completely switch to Farmina at this point. I just wanted to start to add in what in my opinion is higher quality food with better ingredients without dismissing PPP completely due to my anxiety about DCM. I have noticed that Coco has had gas a couple of times which is new for her. I wonder if it is the Farmina bc of the fructooligosaccharides. Has anyone else noticed this with the Farmina??

·
Registered
808 Posts
Im still wondering too about Farmina. I've kept Coco (7 months) on PPP Focus large breed puppy. I started to slowly add in Farmina Ancestral grain N & D medium puppy spelt oats chicken pomegranate about 3 weeks ago. I give her 3/4 of her food is PPP and right now 1/4 is the Farmina. Not sure if I will completely switch to Farmina at this point. I just wanted to start to add in what in my opinion is higher quality food with better ingredients without dismissing PPP completely due to my anxiety about DCM. I have noticed that Coco has had gas a couple of times which is new for her. I wonder if it is the Farmina bc of the fructooligosaccharides. Has anyone else noticed this with the Farmina??
I tried the Farmina Ancestral Grains a year or 18 months ago for my older Golden. He was having allergy problems and I thought it may be a good alternative to the PPP line. He developed soft stools and the worst gas I have ever endured after I had fully transitioned. The stools seemed to get worse the longer he was on it. I ended up going back to the PPP line. He had never had stomach issues, and hasn't had them again. He is very allergic to chicken, hives and swelling. He was perfect on the PPP Sport Chicken & Rice until he turned 7 and started having issues. He's now on PPP SSS Lamb & Oat and doing well, but does have other health issues. I think the allergy was the start of an immune system problem beginning.

·
Debbie624
359 Posts
I tried the Farmina Ancestral Grains a year or 18 months ago for my older Golden. He was having allergy problems and I thought it may be a good alternative to the PPP line. He developed soft stools and the worst gas I have ever endured after I had fully transitioned. The stools seemed to get worse the longer he was on it. I ended up going back to the PPP line. He had never had stomach issues, and hasn't had them again. He is very allergic to chicken, hives and swelling. He was perfect on the PPP Sport Chicken & Rice until he turned 7 and started having issues. He's now on PPP SSS Lamb & Oat and doing well, but does have other health issues. I think the allergy was the start of an immune system problem beginning.
Thanks for your feedback. I have read others who have good things to say about this food. I like what the company says about the way they produce their food and the ingredients except for the addition of the fructooligosaccharide which can cause gas. I will keep a close eye and see how she does. Thanks. Hope your pup is doing better.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I'm thrilled with Farmina Ancestral Grains Chicken. My guy has been on it for about a year, after critically low taurine, from Orijen. He is a well exercised 7 1/2 year old and has plenty of energy. His coat is now magnificent , soft and shiny, with Orijen it was wiry and coarse. I find the ingredients better than the big companies wasva pushes. To me the proof is in the pudding.

·
Registered
250 Posts
^^ as above mentioned ? .... TLC is where I’m headed (still tossing around Nature’s Variety Instincts Be Natural)..... *and what I’ve read online and suggested in here is go get your pup bloodwork done a few months (read 6) down the road after switching to have plasma drawn for taurine levels. Definitely proactive.

Great advice on these threads ?

·
Debbie624
359 Posts
^^ as above mentioned ? .... TLC is where I’m headed (still tossing around Nature’s Variety Instincts Be Natural)..... *and what I’ve read online and suggested in here is go get your pup bloodwork done a few months (read 6) down the road after switching to have plasma drawn for taurine levels. Definitely proactive.

Great advice on these threads ?
Im sorry, forgive me if I am being silly but I can't quite decipher your post here what you are trying to say. What is TLC?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thanks Eric, Ive never heard of it.
Sorry I didn’t see your post. Thanks Eric! I use my iPhone and I have a feeling that I miss much lol.

I just ordered it so I am going to give it a real go. I also plan as suggested to have Tucker’s Taurine levels checked around 6 months just to really give it a thorough evaluation. No guessing. But Eric also had a peek at the food which honestly gave me some comfort. But where I got wind of it was through a breeder (not mine) and exchanged emails and then some online digging in addition to their website that Eric provided above. Finally actually speaking with them and returned emails. Pretty impressed with it so far but now to put it to test. I am pleased that it’s made fresh. I am super pleased with the ingredients so far. I am satisfied it’s free shipping and I’ll have it in four days (they say). So we will see. It’s all stages so I am going to transition also with the thumbs up from my vet.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thanks Eric, Ive never heard of it.
Me either until someone PM'd me a couple days ago. I had to look into it.
Re: TLC. Here it is. I am doing a very slow transition (use up prior food and obvious caution for adjustments - and yes I even created a spreadsheet LOL). As it stands with a 3.5 cups per day base point currently, Tuck will end up at 3.25 cups per day and 80 kcals more. Begs to call to light how he does with less volume but it is better than what I am feeding him. We started transition last night and it’ll last about 16 days to convert.

My vet is in the loop and I’m going to have his Tuarine level checked this week and again in 6 months. I’ll provide details for anyone interested, here.

Super impressed so far with the customer service and the quick arrival to my door. It’s basically right off the line fresh and taste test (lol) super positive.

Here we go. ??

Edit: comes in a case. Two 15 lb bags. Price tag is high at 63.95 for both. *free delivery

Also note that there are several websites when you google reviews that promote this (breeders and avid dogs lovers etc) and it’s not hard to find a link for a 5 dollar coupon for a first order which is what I did.

Attachments

·
Debbie624
359 Posts
Re: TLC. Here it is. I am doing a very slow transition (use up prior food and obvious caution for adjustments - and yes I even created a spreadsheet LOL). As it stands with a 3.5 cups per day base point currently, Tuck will end up at 3.25 cups per day and 80 kcals more. Begs to call to light how he does with less volume but it is better than what I am feeding him. We started transition last night and it’ll last about 16 days to convert.

My vet is in the loop and I’m going to have his Tuarine level checked this week and again in 6 months. I’ll provide details for anyone interested, here.

Super impressed so far with the customer service and the quick arrival to my door. It’s basically right off the line fresh and taste test (lol) super positive.

Here we go. ??

Edit: comes in a case. Two 15 lb bags. Price tag is high at 63.95 for both. *free delivery

Also note that there are several websites when you google reviews that promote this (breeders and avid dogs lovers etc) and it’s not hard to find a link for a 5 dollar coupon for a first order which is what I did.
Thanks for the info. Yes, I would love if you could post the taurine levels. I am curious as to why you are testing this week as he just started on the food. Is this a well known food bc I have never heard of it. I will check into it as well. Do we know if they have a board certified canine nutritionist on staff and if they are doing food trials? I prefer not to feed the big 5 too and am looking for a quality alternative. Coco is only 7 months old and I haven't really decided at which point I should have her taurine tested. I was going to look for a cardiologist too and see how much it would be to do echocardiograms yearly since taurine tests can show normal taurine and not catch DCM is my understanding. Curious what others are doing here who are concerned about DCM.

·
Registered
63 Posts
FYI all: Peas are legumes. If you are in doubt, you can google the question : Are peas legumes ?, on your computer. You should also be able to find out which vegetables are considered legumes.

Here is a question for you: Who would you trust the most for advice on dog food - a clerk in a pet food store, a certified animal nutritionist, or a good vet.

I would personally go for the science rather than how nice and responsive a company is and how great their delivery is. I also prefer a feed company that actually tests its products. But then, what do I know? I only have a degree in animal science with an emphasis in nutrition.

·
Registered
14 Posts
These are totally fair concerns. As a point of interest, I specifically asked our puppy's vet about the protein / fat balance in the Farmina puppy kibble. She opined that the marginal difference between the balance that you find in Farmina and the balance that you find in most other premium foods with grain would unlikely "move the needle" either way in terms of creating marginal health problems or health benefits. For whatever it's worth, after eating Farmina puppy kibble for several months, our puppy's bloodwork all came back great. The vet did recommend that we keep an eye on the puppy's weight, as the higher protein content could lead to an unhealthy weight over time, which could lead to other problems. But, our puppy's weight has always been fine, and has been consistent with the weights of the other females in the same litter who are eating kibble with more standard protein / fat balances in their formulas.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,901 Posts
These are totally fair concerns. As a point of interest, I specifically asked our puppy's vet about the protein / fat balance in the Farmina puppy kibble. She opined that the marginal difference between the balance that you find in Farmina and the balance that you find in most other premium foods with grain would unlikely "move the needle" either way in terms of creating marginal health problems or health benefits. For whatever it's worth, after eating Farmina puppy kibble for several months, our puppy's bloodwork all came back great. The vet did recommend that we keep an eye on the puppy's weight, as the higher protein content could lead to an unhealthy weight over time, which could lead to other problems. But, our puppy's weight has always been fine, and has been consistent with the weights of the other females in the same litter who are eating kibble with more standard protein / fat balances in their formulas.

With that answer from your vet, I wouldn't say your vet is the right person to ask about nutrition. It's not about blood work, that should overall be fine on a quality puppy food. That is because it's not really the protein and fat in the food you have to worry about most... it's the calcium and phosphorous ratio in the puppy food. A large breed puppy should have a Cal:phos ratio of 1.1:1 up to 1.4:1 at the max as too much Cal to Phos (a lot of reg puppy food can be up to 2:1) a food with too much Cal:phos can cause your dog to grow to fast for their joints, potentially leading to issues like Pano and hips dysplasia.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I’ve had Charlie and Rocky on Farmina AG for a couple of months now. We’re still having some issues with loose stools and bad gas. Not going to switch anything until after Charlie’s next echo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just switched my 2 year old to farmina in Jan and she’s been having loose stools and gas too. It’s been almost two months do you think I should switch?

61 - 80 of 105 Posts