Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Goldschein's Goldens?

24926 Views 31 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  Stan
I am planning on hopefully getting a golden retriever puppy from them, and I was wondering if anyone is familiar with them, or if anyone has gotten their dog from them.

Goldschein's Goldens - Dog Breeders - Swan Lake, NY

Many thanks in advance!
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

· Registered
2,952 Posts
You can find out easily enough if you know anyone who has reason to have a roster. I get it- the unpublished roster- people want privacy. I don't think I'd like people to have a roster and be able to spam mail me or whatever- even just drop in- but I WOULD like it if after they publish names for consideration, they'd let us know who they didn't let in. I know I write plenty but never know (because I can't remember who I have posed concerns about) whether it kept them out or not. I do get a roster several times a year, I have to check membership for regionals and national shows CCA entries and to create the Total Golden article.
It would be easy enough to put a directory in the member's only section & have member's on their renewal's/application check a box for what information they want released in the directory...but at minimum we'd know who was in the club

· Registered
10,841 Posts
I thought I saw their name pop up on one of the GRCA notifications for potential members...I still don't understand how/why GRCA hides who its members are from its own members...
Oh- and on that AKC ad- it has been taken off that they are parent club members now.
It turns out that they were not members of the GSD club either...AKC should do a better job of heading off people who would lie to get a higher placement in the ads.

· Super Moderator
1,642 Posts
Actually I live in this area too, have visited several times and am getting to know them. They do not operate a dairy farm only renting a spot off a dairy farm owned and operated by mr. Franklin.
I emailed them over a year ago after someone recommended I check them out, and this was very very early on in my search. I emailed them this, after an introduction as to how I heard of them and what I was interested in:

"I had a couple of additional questions regarding your breeding practices and your dogs. Are the parents up to date with the core 4 health clearances? Would you be able to provide copies of the clearances? Are the pedigrees of your dogs available for future puppy parents to look at, I am interested to see about the health and longevity of your lines myself..."

This was the response:

We live on a dairy farm and raise Golden Retrievers as well.
We raise the Puppies until they are 8 weeks old. During that time the puppies will receive their first 2 vaccine shots, will be placed on a dewormer, come with a 1 year health guarantee, vet checked, and micro-chipped.

All of our Golden's are AKC registered and we give everyone the pedigree going 3 generations back. We have a few litters throughout the year.

We post videos and pictures of our Golden's and puppies almost daily on our Facebook Group. We also have all our past customers post updates of how their Golden's are doing and any questions they might have. It kind of like a community!

If you would like to learn more information about us and the process of bringing home a puppy, then feel free to let us know.

I would be happy to explain the process over the phone. My number is ___________ Is there a good time for you?

Regards,
Aryeh

So, I stopped corresponding with them after they disregarded all of my questions about health clearances, but I did check out their Facebook page and Instagram and what I noticed was they ALWAYS have litters on the ground. The dogs are kept in pens with dog houses (like livestock), the females are bred far too frequently, they lack proper structure, coat, etc..and charge way too much for their puppies.

Now, even as a first time puppy buyer I knew I did not feel comfortable with supporting that type of breeder. I was naive for even checking them out...but I sure did learn A LOT by vetting other potential breeders like this one, and I can only hope other people will too.

· Registered
10,841 Posts
My .02 on it whether they are dairy farmers or dog farmers is that they did NOT 'accidentally' check the box for a club they do not belong to. The intention was to raise their ad to the member status. It's deceptive .

Reactions: Emmdenn

· Registered
77 Posts
Never get a puppy from here. I worked at Goldschien’s in the summer and was unimpressed and, at times, appalled by the way Aryeh runs things. He’s moved out of the dairy farm onto his own, 100 acre homestead. In the summer he opens his property to the public where hundreds of people come to play with puppies, cows, baby chicks, goats, cats… anything they can get their hands on. Everything he does is for profit. He doesn’t care about the welfare of any of his animals. He gets his farm animals cheap from auctions so they all come with diseases which they spread. He overbreeds his dogs and keeps them outside in small kennels, no matter how cold, wet, muddy, hot, or snowy it gets, and this is the mountains, weather can be extreme. They don’t get enough exercise, they don’t get the right diets, they don’t get the right veterinary care. It’s aggravating because he does enough for it not to be considered animal abuse but he most definitely does not do enough for his animals. Anyway, just putting the message out there.

· Registered
1 Posts
I am planning on hopefully getting a golden retriever puppy from them, and I was wondering if anyone is familiar with them, or if anyone has gotten their dog from them.

Goldschein's Goldens - Dog Breeders - Swan Lake, NY

Many thanks in advance!
I contacted Aryehfrom Goldschein’s in Jan 2022 thinking they were a solid breeder based off of reviews but he’s charging $3,500 and does not health test any of the parents. Absolutely unethical and absurd. I can’t believe He’s getting away with charging so much with zero health testing.

· Super Moderator
1,642 Posts
I contacted Aryehfrom Goldschein’s in Jan 2022 thinking they were a solid breeder based off of reviews but he’s charging $3,500 and does not health test any of the parents. Absolutely unethical and absurd. I can’t believe He’s getting away with charging so much with zero health testing.
Yeah he’s a puppy farm at best…dogs living outside like livestock, eating horrible quality kibble and doing absolutely 0 health testing. You dodged a bullet!

· Registered
1 Posts
Do not buy a golden from goldscheins homestead. I had worked there this past summer, the livestock has no form of vet care. The adult dogs sit down below without a proper shelter, they have small puppy houses that they don't enjoy laying in, they are outside 24/7. The only time the Mama's get any warmth is when they are getting ready to give birth. The vaccines aren't given properly, a vet does not do them, Aryeh even microchips the puppies himself. The vet only comes once a year to do a brief check up on all the dogs he has but it isn't as through as it would be as if they were personally brought into a vet clinic. The dogs have no form of dental care, they all have some form of gingivitis. Some Mama's have a bad case of anxiety. They are not properly excercised. Another thing the livestock is only fed 4 scoops of grain in the morning and then have to rely on hay for "nutrition" he buys goats from auction and if they have a disease he doesn't properly treat it. The goats have had bad cases of pink eye, even after he buys them from auction he then returns them. He only does this for profit. During the summer he opens up the farm for people to come and play with puppies and all the other animals. I have seen baby kittens picked up by there ears and tails, he doesn't hire enough people to properly run the place, but no employee wants to stick around. In the summer he over works his employees, they work about 13 hour shifts 7am to about 7-8 pm and that's everyday. There's so much to say about this farm, he has even shot a cow on his property while open because the baby calf wouldn't stop seizing. I don't get how this isn't animal abuse. He breeds the Mama's only when they get their periods but that's still not okay. He hides the adult dogs down on the hill where no one can see them. When customers ask where the adult dogs are he asked us not to mention it to the customers because he knew they would become curious onto their where abouts. Please I beg you do NOT buy or support this farm. It's only for his profit. He doesn't care about anything else!!

· Registered
3 Posts
I would run from this breeder, yikes!

For $1800 you should expect parents that are health tested. Not a single parent dog has any health certifications at all.

Based on what I am seeing these should be 400-800 puppies.

They are outrageously priced compared to the value they are offering. Kind of like paying new Lexus price for a used Toyota.

Please take a look at these attachments. Reiner AKC registered just means pure bred but does not tell you anything about health or quality. The AKC market place is full of less than ideal breeders and puppies with higher health risks.

· Registered
56 Posts
This breeder is not far from me and I know a few people who've gotten puppies there. I didn't realize they also effectively have their own petting zoo, for lack of a better description. Very disturbing.

· Registered
1 Posts
We've got a home nearby. As owners of Goldens, we were thinking of getting a pup as our last two left us after 14 and 15 years. The sense I get from them is puppy mill. They're constantly churning out litters. And, I've never seen pups being raised with a family. They seem like they treat them like livestock. When I asked about price ($2900), I also asked about clearances and DNA reports. There are none. I think the local government needs to take a look into this place.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts