Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
7,702 Posts
Do you have the pedigree information on the sire and dam. If you can provide that some of the more experienced members on this board can help you understand k9data and how to decipher their clearances, etc.

· Registered
2,952 Posts
The AKC marketplace ad gives the registered names/registration #s for both litters--no health clearances on any of the dogs being bred, which giving the benefit of doubt, at minimum you would see elbows listed on offa.org. That being said, this breeder is failing to the do the absolute bare minimum health testing as recommended by the Golden Retriever Club of America. They are charging the same amount I paid for my pup who comes from a solid pedigree w/ complete health testing & titles throughout--can't imagine paying $1800 for this type of breeding.

· Registered
3,769 Posts
I would run from this breeder, yikes!

For $1800 you should expect parents that are health tested. Not a single parent dog has any health certifications at all.

Based on what I am seeing these should be 400-800 puppies.

They are outrageously priced compared to the value they are offering. Kind of like paying new Lexus price for a used Toyota.

Please take a look at these attachments. Reiner AKC registered just means pure bred but does not tell you anything about health or quality. The AKC market place is full of less than ideal breeders and puppies with higher health risks.

Attachments

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would run from this breeder, yikes!

For $1800 you should expect parents that are health tested. Not a single parent dog has any health certifications at all.

Based on what I am seeing these should be 400-800 puppies.

They are outrageously priced compared to the value they are offering. Kind of like paying new Lexus price for a used Toyota.

Please take a look at these attachments. Reiner AKC registered just means pure bred but does not tell you anything about health or quality. The AKC market place is full of less than ideal breeders and puppies with higher health risks.

Yikes, I was not aware of this, thank you so much for letting me know! Most of the breeders I have seen were all priced $1500+ so I figured the price was normal.

Is there a good breeder you can guide me to? I am in New York City but willing to make a 4-5 hour drive. Thanks for all the info!

· Super Moderator
3,836 Posts
Adirondac, Painting, and Chestnut Golden Retrievers are all breeders in NY state. I have no personal experience with any of them and have never looked into their breeding programs, but I've heard really good things about all of them.

· Registered
66 Posts
Adirondac, Painting, and Chestnut Golden Retrievers are all breeders in NY state. I have no personal experience with any of them and have never looked into their breeding programs, but I've heard really good things about all of them.
I got Duke from Chestnut Goldens. He is absolutely amazing. I had a wonderful time working with Mary Beth. Both dam and grand dam were there and very lovely. Duke's parents have all 4 clearances and Mary Beth even got the dam tested for ICT since the sire is a carrier.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got Duke from Chestnut Goldens. He is absolutely amazing. I had a wonderful time working with Mary Beth. Both dam and grand dam were there and very lovely. Duke's parents have all 4 clearances and Mary Beth even got the dam tested for ICT since the sire is a carrier.
Awesome, thanks for letting me know. I have sent them an email, and I'm eagerly waiting their response!

· Registered
3,769 Posts
Looks like a puppy broker site. Think online pet store. Likely buying and reselling comnercially breed puppies what you might call a mill or a listing service for commercial breeders where the site gets a fee or commission. You are likely going to pay a lot more than you should for poor quality and no health certifications on parents.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like a puppy broker site. Think online pet store. Likely buying and reselling comnercially breed puppies what you might call a mill or a listing service for commercial breeders where the site gets a fee or commission. You are likely going to pay a lot more than you should for poor quality and no health certifications on parents.

Exactly what I thought, but I wanted the input from somebody with more experience. Thanks

· Registered
3,769 Posts
You would probably have a better chance of finding parents with full health certifications if you contacted the local Golden Retriever clubs. Here are some links.
Golden Retriever Club of Central New York, Golden Retrievers, Syracuse, New York
Hudson Valley Golden Retriever Club: Contact
Northeastern New York Golden Retriever club
The Golden Retriever Club of Western NY

The sites you seem to be finding are the 'puppies right now' type sites. Is time an issue for you? Well bred puppies are in high demand which means they are usually spoken for before they are born.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You would probably have a better chance of finding parents with full health certifications if you contacted the local Golden Retriever clubs. Here are some links.
Golden Retriever Club of Central New York, Golden Retrievers, Syracuse, New York
Hudson Valley Golden Retriever Club: Contact
Northeastern New York Golden Retriever club
The Golden Retriever Club of Western NY

The sites you seem to be finding are the 'puppies right now' type sites. Is time an issue for you? Well bred puppies are in high demand which means they are usually spoken for before they are born.
I have contacted the clubs you mentioned, thanks for the useful links. Although time isn't an "issue", I would like to get a puppy sooner rather than later.:smile2:

· Registered
1 Posts
I have thought long and hard about posting this, but I do not recommend this breeder.
Last fall I reached out and inquired if he had any senior dogs that were available. He told me that was about to retire a breeder
The farm and the dog pen is beautiful- that is not to be disputed – and Aryah is nice in person, but our vet told us that this mama dog was not well taken care of before we bought her.
She was very timid to be touched during exams, way overweight, had a raging UTI that made her bleed, AND she has Lymes disease.
I knew that spaying her was our responsibility, but after discovering that she has Lymes and a UTI I repeatedly asked Aryah for her full vet records in November and got a ring-around. He offered to take her back, but that was not the point… we love her… I just needed her records.
Since we have owned her we have spayed her, have done multiple rounds of medications for her health and she has shown more personality.
Shame on me for not getting a background check, a contract or for requesting more vet records in advance of the transaction. But, shame on this guy for not taking better care of the mother dog in the first place.

· Registered
10,848 Posts
Goldschein's AKC ad says they are member club members... I'm going to try to verify that- because really,they have no business doing crappy breedings and using the local club to get a higher ranking on AKC.
Since I don't think the GSDCA should count for a high ranking I will also get Linda Bell on it to get their ad removed from the national club member section. They certainly are not adhering to the Code of Ethics- even a tiny bit.

Reactions: BlazenGR

· Registered
1 Posts
Goldschein's Goldens is near my hometown and I had heard about them from someone I know in the area. They operate a dairy farm, and view their dogs as livestock too.
Actually I live in this area too, have visited several times and am getting to know them. They do not operate a dairy farm only renting a spot off a dairy farm owned and operated by mr. Franklin.

· Registered
2,952 Posts
Goldschein's AKC ad says they are member club members... I'm going to try to verify that- because really,they have no business doing crappy breedings and using the local club to get a higher ranking on AKC.
Since I don't think the GSDCA should count for a high ranking I will also get Linda Bell on it to get their ad removed from the national club member section. They certainly are not adhering to the Code of Ethics- even a tiny bit.
I thought I saw their name pop up on one of the GRCA notifications for potential members...I still don't understand how/why GRCA hides who its members are from its own members...

· Registered
10,848 Posts
You can find out easily enough if you know anyone who has reason to have a roster. I get it- the unpublished roster- people want privacy. I don't think I'd like people to have a roster and be able to spam mail me or whatever- even just drop in- but I WOULD like it if after they publish names for consideration, they'd let us know who they didn't let in. I know I write plenty but never know (because I can't remember who I have posed concerns about) whether it kept them out or not. I do get a roster several times a year, I have to check membership for regionals and national shows CCA entries and to create the Total Golden article.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts