Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello golden retriever lovers,

My one and half year old Charlie has his third ear infection. I can tell, same symptoms, that brown thick wax that comes back no matter how much I clean...

The vet will not prescribe the usual greasy medication without examining him first, and unfortunately I do not have the money right now (full time student, money is tight).

I have read wonders about this product called Zymox with hydrocortisone to help cure ear infections and also as a maintenant product. I figure I had nothing to lose trying it before ultimately going to the vet as a last resort.

My question is for those of you who have tried it, were you satisfied? Also, I see there is a product with 0.5% hydrocortisone and ne with 1% hydrocortisone, and I am unsure which one I should buy?

Thank you very much for your help!

·
Kristy
10,200 Posts
Zymox is great. If the ear is very bad, it may be too late for it to work without meds from the vet. Go ahead and buy it and you'll have it because it sounds like you need to be using it as a preventative on a weekly basis going forward. I would buy the 1% formula for the infected ear. You could probably use the lower dosage in the future as preventative. Mark the time of year on your calendar so you remember to be observant in the future to head off these issues if they're related to seasonal allergies. I know my girl is more likely to have issues in spring and fall. Also keep an eye on his feet to make sure they aren't turning red since they also get itchy with allergies.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't use an otic product other than ear cleaner (especially not one w hydrocortisone) without doing a full ear exam- reason being (and I am one who does feel competent to use some prescription meds before going in to the vet's so this is an ear/eye thing for me) that steroids are not inert things- they have long reaching effects on animals. Ears kept clean once healthy are going to stay healthy-but get them healthy first. I clean my dogs' ears every week when they have a bath. No one gets ear infections. But none of them are starting from a place of disease. Back years ago my dog Jake got lots of ear infections, and Zymox was one of the drug combos we used- it got worse before it got better! Ears are not just canals that have no functional parts before the drum - they have cilia and specialized cells and personally, I would keep these ears clean until I could get to the vet's for a full exam and culture of the bugs growing in there. It could be that a steroid would be completely counter-indicated depending on what's growing in them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts