Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that it is a New Year, I'm thinking about Spring planting :). We have our new puppy, Jessie, now and I'll need to try and get some grass growing in the backyard. A few neighbors have this Zoysia grass and it looks pretty sturdy. Does anyone here have any suggestions or ideas? I know I will probably have to keep planting seed to keep up with her, she is so fast and loves to run!!

Thanks everyone, Happy New Year to you.

·
every moment is a gift
3,127 Posts
Now that it is a New Year, I'm thinking about Spring planting :). We have our new puppy, Jessie, now and I'll need to try and get some grass growing in the backyard. A few neighbors have this Zoysia grass and it looks pretty sturdy. Does anyone here have any suggestions or ideas? I know I will probably have to keep planting seed to keep up with her, she is so fast and loves to run!!

Thanks everyone, Happy New Year to you.
I have zoysia in the front yard and it holds up pretty well. I think it would do better if it got a LOT more sunshine than it gets. I live in the Southeast though.

I'd check with your local county extension office for suggestions - ours have always been really helpful to me and have provided tips and suggestions for problem areas. Additionally, they might be able to direct you to a Master Gardeners group in your area. Around here, members have to log a certain number of volunteer hours and I have friends who will go evaluate homes and suggest plants/shrubs/flowers that would best suit the environment and what the person is looking for - they count this towards their volunteer work :)

ETA - Ours is a zoysia hybrid "Meyer's Z-52 Hybrid"

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
Zoysia is a very sturdy grass but it is also VERY invasive. It sprouts off of runners that run underground and are very aggressive. If you have a neighbor that has one of those "picture perfect" lawns it is a great way to tick them off. In a matter of a few short years it will invade his lawn and take over.

Reactions: caseypooh

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much, I will go to the county for help. I sure do have a very "picture perfect" neighbor. Very, very nice people but works very hard at their grass. I'd like to keep them as friends :)

Reactions: hubbub

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
I grew up plugging zoysia grass from one part of our yard into another. It took a few years but our entire yard eventually was zoysia and you couldn't have a nicer feeling/looking lawn (except when it's yellow in the winter, that takes getting used to). It literally feels like carpet under your feet. It was a LOT of work though. I don't think you can buy rolls of zoysia, and I have not heard of zoysia being seeded, I think it's still sold in plug form.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
We put zoysia cavalier in our back and side yards last spring. It took pretty well, but required a lot of watering. Putting out 5 (or 6?) pallets of sod was sure a lot of work too.
Whew!

If your neighbors have a picture perfect lawn, why not ask them what they have and what they recommend?

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
If your neighbors have a picture perfect lawn, why not ask them what they have and what they recommend?

You really do not want to use all the chemicals it takes to have a "picture perfect lawn" if the kids/dogs are going to use that area.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You really do not want to use all the chemicals it takes to have a "picture perfect lawn" if the kids/dogs are going to use that area.
that's exactly right, I won't put any chemicals on it. We put sod down a few years in a row but won't do that again. It had this green mesh in it that wouldn't go away. We pulled all of it up. My husband jokes and says we'll just put pavers down in the whole back yard.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
our front lawn is a hodgepodge of a hotmess...there is one piece that is thick/dense, yellow in winter, but greens up really nice in the summer and feels really nice underfoot...Im thinking that it must be Zoysia...
I grew up plugging zoysia grass from one part of our yard into another. It took a few years but our entire yard eventually was zoysia and you couldn't have a nicer feeling/looking lawn (except when it's yellow in the winter, that takes getting used to). It literally feels like carpet under your feet. It was a LOT of work though. I don't think you can buy rolls of zoysia, and I have not heard of zoysia being seeded, I think it's still sold in plug form.

Good luck with your decision.

·
every moment is a gift
3,127 Posts
that's exactly right, I won't put any chemicals on it. We put sod down a few years in a row but won't do that again. It had this green mesh in it that wouldn't go away. We pulled all of it up. My husband jokes and says we'll just put pavers down in the whole back yard.
A mesh in the sod? That's so weird.

If you put down pavers, I bet you'll never have to trim Jessie's nails again!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A mesh in the sod? That's so weird.

If you put down pavers, I bet you'll never have to trim Jessie's nails again!
It was really weird, we layed it about 2 years ago and just this past fall when Jessie found it :) we pulled it all up.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
our front lawn is a hodgepodge of a hotmess...there is one piece that is thick/dense, yellow in winter, but greens up really nice in the summer and feels really nice underfoot...Im thinking that it must be Zoysia...
I think that is it! When we walk Jessie, she loves to roll in this one yard, it is yellowish right now but really thick.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have zoysia in the front yard and it holds up pretty well. I think it would do better if it got a LOT more sunshine than it gets. I live in the Southeast though.

I'd check with your local county extension office for suggestions - ours have always been really helpful to me and have provided tips and suggestions for problem areas. Additionally, they might be able to direct you to a Master Gardeners group in your area. Around here, members have to log a certain number of volunteer hours and I have friends who will go evaluate homes and suggest plants/shrubs/flowers that would best suit the environment and what the person is looking for - they count this towards their volunteer work :)

ETA - Ours is a zoysia hybrid "Meyer's Z-52 Hybrid"

Would you mind telling me where you ordered your plugs from? I read some on the z-52 and would like to try it. I talked with my neighbors and they are all fine with it in our backyard. I know Jessie would love it and that's the most important thing. My husband and I laugh, it's really Jessie and Samantha's house, they just let us live here :)! Sam's our kitty.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
We have a combination of St Augustine and Bermuda. Parts of our yard are too shady for Bermuda.

Of course it doesn't matter, it will all be dead this summer, along with our trees and shrubs. We are on stage 4 water restrictions now (in the Winter!) and are expected to go to no outside watering at all in the next two months.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We have a combination of St Augustine and Bermuda. Parts of our yard are too shady for Bermuda.

Of course it doesn't matter, it will all be dead this summer, along with our trees and shrubs. We are on stage 4 water restrictions now (in the Winter!) and are expected to go to no outside watering at all in the next two months.
Oh my gosh, I wish we could have sent you some of our rain from the fall. Normally, what is your weather like in the winter?

·
every moment is a gift
3,127 Posts
Would you mind telling me where you ordered your plugs from? I read some on the z-52 and would like to try it. I talked with my neighbors and they are all fine with it in our backyard. I know Jessie would love it and that's the most important thing. My husband and I laugh, it's really Jessie and Samantha's house, they just let us live here :)! Sam's our kitty.
I actually put out sod not plugs. Most of the home stores and garden centers carry the z-52 here, so I've never had a problem finding pieces when I've needed to fill in here and there.

I would start there, but also call sod farms in your area. My neighbors laid sod in most of their yard last year and they had pallets shipped in from 1 hour away. The sod farm charged $200 to delivery "out of area" but that offset the difference in price to buy it locally.

Yep! It's all about the dog and cat around here too. :) Hannah loves a good roll in the grass (our back is a mixture of zoysia and st augustine) and she'll take either one!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts