Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
GoldenRetrieverNeedsHome
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Facts About Zoelie:

1.) D.O.B. - September 9, 2008 (approx. 18 months old)
2.) Born in Münstermaifeld, Germany
3.) An alpha female
4.) Has a lot of heart
5.) Doesn't give up easily
6.) Went into heat in October 2009
7.) Not fixed and never bred
8.) Raised in a very social environment
9.) Very intelligent
10.) Understands the following commands:
"Sit" "Stay" "Bleib" "Down" "All the way down (head between paws on floor)" "komm her/Come Here" "Get it" "Get your leash" "get your toy" "bring it here" "turn" "speak" "shake (will shake with either paw depending which you point at)" "go potty" "nein/no"
11.) Is current on shots and extremely healthy (not overweight)
12.) She has only been fed Organic food. *We are looking for someone who can AFFORD to continue feeding her in this manner.*
13.) Favorite treats: Raw, whole Organic Carrots - Organic Bananas - Organic Celery with lots of Peanut Butter - Organic Apples - Organic Lettuce (A head of lettuce is wonderful for both her and anyone watching.) - Newman's Own Organic Treats - Cooked Organic Potatoes - both raw and hard-boiled Organic eggs (with the shell) - Organic Nuts - Organic Peanut Butter
14.) Loves salt-water swimming pools or just simple wading pools

We raised her in Germany from November 2008 until April 2009. We moved to the U.S. and brought her with us. We operated a tobacco shop with 10-15 employees working in the building with us. She was not only loved by all of them, but the customers also grew very attached to her. We had to close our shop last month and we now work from home. She needs a family with children to play with. She needs to expel her energy running and playing in a big yard (which we unfortunately don't have.) She needs to be walked a couple of times a day. Unfortunately, in our current situation, we can not care for her properly. She is a very happy girl and we want her to stay that way. In order for her to have what she deserves, we have to give her up. We have spent quite a bit of money and time on Zoelie and we would like to know that she will be taken care of in the same manner that we have.

Please let us know if you are interested, have any questions or just some helpful advice.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
I have a feeling that this post will be moved to the rescue forum on GRF. I think perhaps your expectations are a bit high here. I would so suggest that you look into local Golden Retriever Rescues. Reality check with that though - what your dog will positively get: A highly screened wonderful home with a family that adores her and takes care of her in the best manner possible. What your dog probably won't get: her super expensive feeding regimen - unless you are willing to pay for it!! I think you need to use a mental balance come to the right conclusion for you dog. You can THINK you know a family just by what they tell you and your impression of them for an hour but that's just not true. Your dog has the best chance at a happy, wonderful home by going through a rescue. To get a dog from a rescue you have to: fill out a lengthy application. If they think you are a possible match to their high standards (and each dog has different needs) then you get an interview in person. If you pass that, then you get to meet the dog. If you pass that, then they do a home visit. If you pass that - then you sign a contract stating all the things you promise to provide for the dog and if for any reason, you can't keep the dog, the dog goes back to the rescue. Then, likely, there will be further home check visits to make sure that you are truly keeping up your end of the bargain. Honestly, being super strict about the food part of placing your golden might be detrimental as you might not want to give that such a high importance.

Okay, second part. Your golden doesn't need kids. Your golden needs you. To say that your golden needs imaginary kids that don't exist to her is way off. Your golden loves her family ultimately just the way that they are. I know my Max would still really want me to be his pack even without my son. They love their humans so much that even if they have no kids, they are oblivious to the lack of them.
There are people who have goldens and full time jobs and make it work for them. There are people who live in apartments without fenced yards with goldens and make it work for them. It's not impossible. Actually it's highly possible as long as you put in the extra walks and fetching sessions, etc. You seem super attached and very loving towards your dog. If that's true, with a bit of sacrifice and extra time put into exercising her- as long as you can afford her and you are not dealing with a no dogs policy where you live - I don't see anything about your situation that equals getting rid of your dog. Your dog is happy and will be happy as long as she is with you. You are not doing her a favor, IMO, by abandoning her.

Now, I don't know your situation so maybe there are other forces at work here - what I am saying is don't get rid of a dog you love so much because you feel she needs a child to play with. Goldens love grownups just as much. I think it would be sad, seeing how much you love your dog, to send her away because for some misguided belief, you are feeling you are not enough for her.

If you do rehome your dog, please do so through a rescue. It's the best possible outcome for her.

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
Contact Homewardbound Golden Retriever Rescue. If they cannot take her they can probably refer you to another Reputable Rescue. Sharlin on this forum is a good person to contact. Claire's Friend is another. I know you cannot PM as of yet, but I hope you can make contact. You CAN call HBGRR or email them directly.

http://www.homewardboundgoldens.org/

Adoptions and Surrenders and Sanctuary Development
Jody and Mike Jones
7495 Natomas Road
Elverta, CA 95626
Phone: 916-655-1410
Fax: 916-655-3410
[email protected]

·
GoldenRetrieverNeedsHome
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Does anyone in this forum, feed their dogs organic dog food?

:no:We realize, that we would have been better off finding a home for her in Germany before we left. I called more than 15 people (both breeders and rescuers) in the last couple of days and wasn't happy with any of them. Four of them said they feed their dogs Kirkland brand dog food from Costco. No wonder there are so many overweight dogs in America... How about those with cancer, skin and joint problems? How can Americans justify feeding both their animals and themselves so poorly? We got off the plane in the U.S., and all we saw were overweight people everywhere. Everyone is so attached to their t.v. sets and microwave dinners here. It's a shame. I'm sorry "momtoMax", but Zoelie loves children and has way more energy than any adult that I've ever known....especially here in the U.S. Everyone tries to park as close as they can to stores - so they don't have to walk. How often do you walk your dog?

When I asked three people I spoke with today how they planned to exercise Zoelie, they told me that they don't walk their dogs. They just let the dogs play with each other in the back yard. They said they would pair Zoelie up with one of their Golden Retrievers. Are you kidding me? These people want an awful lot of money for their puppies. That is how they run the show? Crap food and no exercise?

"She has only been fed Organic food. *We are looking for someone who can AFFORD to continue feeding her in this manner.*"

Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
I'm glad you will not let her go to someone who will "pair" her up with their Golden. I hope you have time to make the right decision for all of you, especially Zoelie.

As for the food, it's a hot debate. I do feed my two super premium foods, but I have to be honest and say that my childhood dog (passed when she was 16) and the dog I adored for 17 years, ate dog food of much less quality. At least in the eyes of those who feed high premium foods. I have one GR that had a weight issue and one with allergies, so they get the food they need because I can afford it. Only let her go, if you need to let her go, when you are comfortable.

I'm getting a little silly about the parking at grocery stores. I get sooo stiff after riding, but DH parks so far from the store entrances. I limp out of the car, but my the time I make it to the front door, I can dance!

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Whoa. Thanks for the insults!! Since we Americans are all so lazy and unhealthy and have such low standards, I'm thinking you won't find anyone here who fits any of your midline standards.

Gee, I know I'm being rude, but how can you write things like that insulting my friends, my countrymen and then expect a smile and a thumbs up?

I hope your dog finds a good home despite your negative attitude for the people and the country you are now living in. As for you, I'm thinking ignore option. Lord knows, if this theme continues in more of your posts, I'm only going to get more loud and more rude.

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
I don't take these comments as an insult as much as an observation. Yes, too many Americans are overweight and spend much too much time being inactive. When I visited Germany a few years back, one thing I never saw was an overweight person, so I'm sure you had a bit of culture shock when you stepped off the plane.

There are members here who feed their dogs a raw diet and swear by it. Others feed various brands of premium kibble and others swear by the cheaper brands...I think it's depends the owner and their dog. We fondly call it Food Politics here. :)

You're lucky that you're in California...I think you have a better chance of finding a family that meets your criteria there.

Oh...& don't think that pairing two Goldens together won't give your girl the proper exercise she needs. Nothing can wear out my Ike better than a rousing play session with the Golden across the street or my son's rescue Pup...seen in my signature pic below.

:no:We realize, that we would have been better off finding a home for her in Germany before we left. I called more than 15 people (both breeders and rescuers) in the last couple of days and wasn't happy with any of them. Four of them said they feed their dogs Kirkland brand dog food from Costco. No wonder there are so many overweight dogs in America... How about those with cancer, skin and joint problems? How can Americans justify feeding both their animals and themselves so poorly? We got off the plane in the U.S., and all we saw were overweight people everywhere. Everyone is so attached to their t.v. sets and microwave dinners here. It's a shame. I'm sorry "momtoMax", but Zoelie loves children and has way more energy than any adult that I've ever known....especially here in the U.S. Everyone tries to park as close as they can to stores - so they don't have to walk. How often do you walk your dog?

When I asked three people I spoke with today how they planned to exercise Zoelie, they told me that they don't walk their dogs. They just let the dogs play with each other in the back yard. They said they would pair Zoelie up with one of their Golden Retrievers. Are you kidding me? These people want an awful lot of money for their puppies. That is how they run the show? Crap food and no exercise?

"She has only been fed Organic food. *We are looking for someone who can AFFORD to continue feeding her in this manner.*"

Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
So sorry that your situation forces you to rehome your beloved girl. I do think a rescue will be your best bet. You obviously want what is best for her, and I applaud you for that, you could have just dumped her at a shelter. You have every right to want her to go to a family that can afford to keep her and give her the exercise she needs. I think some here have been too harsh on you for your requirements, especially during a very difficult time for you.

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
Tabacco, is not healthy.
That was my first thought too, but didn't say anything. I didn't know that Tobacco Shops still existed. The only one I knew of near me closed down years ago. My FIL smoked a pipe and I loved the smell of his cherry blend wafting through the house. My husband would buy it and leave the bag open just to get the smell...he never lit a pipe.

It's kinda funny, we shun tobacco like it's the plague and fill up on chips, dip, and soda. :)

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I'm sorry you have to rehome your golden and you can't make it work.

But, I'm sorry, but you might have to budge on the food issue. You might be passing up wonderful homes for your girl because they can't afford to feed her organic apples and carrots. There are a lot of good foods out there. What does her primary diet consist of now? Kibble?

And actually, you'd be surprised. Kirkland brand is not a HORRIBLE dog food. There are much worse out there, and truly, it depends on what your dog does well on.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
I know that obesity is an issue here - And as a teacher, I see that as the next generation grows up - it will be much less of an issue. There are not very many overweight children in the school districts I work in.

I took offense to the "oh how lazy you all are. and fat. and unhealthy. and eat such horrible food. how often do YOU walk your dog?" post. As it was directed to me, how could I not take it personally? You can say I'm being harsh and I admit, oh yes I am, but those comments and the "oh yuck disgusting" attitude I percieved was harsh too.

I'm just going to say one more thing on this thread and then go away. My Max is almost 12 months old. He can/and a lot of the time is an absolute nut. This dog has energy to burn!! I live with my son and work fulltime AWAY from home. You can say, gee, my dog has so much energy it's amazing! Well, that I understand because I'm right along with you. The big difference here is I am not getting rid of my dog because of it. I walk him, play fetch constantly, roll around with him and tire him out. When the going gets tough, I get tougher. My dog also loves kids - most goldens do - but I don't plan on rehoming him when my son is more grown up than kid. Oh, and I feed him what I can afford to feed him. He is VERY loved and spoiled and happy to be with us as we are with him.
I admit, I don't understand your situation, only what you post - and from those posts I still don't see any reason to send your dog away. My perception is very limited - you do what you think is right. I hope it all works out the best for your dog.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I know that obesity is an issue here - And as a teacher, I see that as the next generation grows up - it will be much less of an issue. There are not very many overweight children in the school districts I work in.
Your district needs to be giving seminars on what they are doing then. I can assure you it is not like that everywhere.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Your district needs to be giving seminars on what they are doing then. I can assure you it is not like that everywhere.
So true- I see SO MUCH of it here. Oh, and I live in a VERY active community...one of the most bike friendly communities in the world. I mean- adults and children bike EVERYWHERE.

Sorry, not to hijack the thread...

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Sorry to hear you have to rehome your dog.

You should consider having her spayed before placing her. You can never be 100% sure of a person's intentions no matter how well you screen them. I'm not sure what you mean by 'organic' are you supplementing with Honest Kitchen or fresh veggies to a raw diet? Personally, I would suggest looking for a family that understands the need for quality food regardless of it is raw, organic, or a good kibble. In the end, you want a happy, healthy home for your dog. While food plays a part, love plays a bigger one. That's what you should be looking for- a family that will accept your dog with open arms and commit to her for her life, something that you aren't capable of doing at this point.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
They lost their business. Seems to me this and other reasons may be the reason for the rehoming. Yes the OP has high standards, let them come to the conclusion if and when they are too high. Show them the compassion you would expect if you had to rehome your pup. They do not need you criticizing their standards right now.

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Why are we so **** judgemental? The OP had to close their shop and now are working from home, and cannot give their girl the care they think is required for her. They came here seeking help, and get grilled for their high standards? Unbelievable. I am sure every one of us would set very high standards for our pups if we had to rehome them. Now I begin to see why people leave the forum.
Because in the OPs second post she tells us Americans how poor, fat and lazy we are! Ya, that's going to get some hackles up, it did mine.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Because in the OPs second post she tells us Americans how poor, fat and lazy we are! Ya, that's going to get some hackles up, it did mine.
Guess what. We are fat and lazy when it comes to living healthy. I know I can stand to lose 20 pounds and don't get enough exercise. I think there is somewhat of a cultural difference we are seeing in the OP's post, as I do believe Europeans tend to have more active lifestyles than Americans, but I have no factual basis for this. I re-read the posts and modified my response above. The other mirror thread to this does show the compassion I expect from this forum. Personally I don't think the OP meant to offend anyone with their 2nd post.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
You're kidding, right?? YOU RUN A TOBACCO SHOP and you come on this forum and berate people here in the US about their health, exercise and food choices. Give me a break. I lived in Germany for 8 years, there are plenty overweight people, TVs and microwaves there.

How often do I walk my dog? Not often, we live on acreage, we have a fenced yard and we play ball and he runs off leash in the fields. Do I feed him Organic? No, but I do feed a premium kibble (Innova). Would I be scratched off the list?

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
To the OP, I live somewhat near you in north San Diego and may be able to help in the event you find a new home and need help with transporting Zoelie. Although I agree with an above post that you're more likely to find a family that meets your criteria in southern california, so that may not be necessary. I will send an email to families who I know who may be interested in an older golden who I think would meet your criteria and re-post if I receive any interest. I wish we could take her but we have our almost 5 month old and he's our focus right now.

Regarding your criteria, I understand wanting Zoelie to continue to be taken care of in the same manner that you are keeping her. If I were in your situation, I would also interview potential new owners. I do think you have the right to turn people down for almost any reason you want, but you need to also realize that re-homing Zoelie means giving her up. I apologize if this is reading too much into things, but it sounds to me like you aren't sure about this decision...maybe you should re-think it and see if there's any way you can keep her?

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.