Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am new to this forum, but have looked around now and again for tips in the past. My boyfriend and I have a 2 year old Golden Retriever, we got him when he was 11 months old. When we adopted him he had no training whatsoever, and I am pleased to say that he is very well behaved now!

Right now we live in an apartment with a large fenced in yard, and he has 3 other dogs to play with next door. We will be moving shortly, and the apartment that we will (probably) be moving into has a very large yard, but it is not fenced in. We are planning on taking him on long walks/jogs in the morning before work, and in the evening after work. There are also quite a few dog parks around that we can take him to, but I would like to know how effective zip lines are and if there are any dangers in using them. I would like to note that he would never be completely unsupervised if we use one of these, we would always be nearby, checking in on him frequently. He has never been on anything similar to this, so if anyone has any tips/experience with zip lines, or if this has been discussed here before, I would appreciate the advice.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance! :)

Dawn

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Due to the configuration of my lot I'm not able to have a fenced yard either. My guys get tied out of a 40' coated wire rope. As long as you don't have items which they can get tangled on or a high deck that they could potentially hang themselves from you should be OK as long as they are not left out for long periods unsupervised.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Not that it was ideal but my first golden went outside on a chain for 14 years. You can make it work. Like stated before, look around CAREFULLY for potential hazzards, and don't say "that can never happen" because for sure then it will.

·
Steelers and Pens Fanatic
744 Posts
We have used a "runner" for 15 years and it has worked well for us. It goes 100 feet but hubby rigged a "stop" with a drilled out golf ball so she can't get to the tree that the other end is attached to. As others said as long as there is nothing to get hooked or tangled on it should work fine.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
We used to use a run for our GSD before we bought our house and it worked really, really well. We used it for about 7 years and never had a problem. She had plenty of room to run on it. You just need to make sure there is nothing that it get can tangled up with and you should be fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of your advice! We didn't end up getting the apartment I was talking about, but the one that we did get isn't completely fenced in either. So I may need to use a zip line for a little while until we can fence in the yard.

Thanks again!
Dawn

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.