Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I have been looking into alternatives for the traditional neutering procedure and came across a new way to neuter male dogs called "Zeuterin". So my first instinct was to come to this forum to read some reviews and get some feedback.
Zeuterin is a virtually painless, non-surgical procedure which requires only sedation. It sterilizes the dogs but allows some amount of testestorone production in the system. The injection "Zinc Gluconate+ Arginine" kills all sperm cells but allows the testestorone producing cells to continue the testestorone production (although low).
However I was surprised to not find anything regarding this procedure on the forum. Please read this and give me your feedback/comments/thoughts

https://www.zeuterin.com

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
The only thing I would question is what is the rate of prostate issues in males sterilized that way, versus traditional sterilization? It's pretty common for intact males to develop BHP as they age.

Reactions: mca2517

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Zeuterin

Good Question. I am not an expert but I would say that porstatic hyperplasia is caused by age-related hormonal changes in the ratio of androgens, such as testosterone, and estrogens. This procedure causes a significant decrease in these hormones (almost reduces to 50%),so I guess the risk is comparatively low.

The greatest benefit from this procedure according to me is : Letting the atrophied/shrinked testes to continue some amount of testestorone production which is beneficial for their groth and metabolism. Risk of Diseases such as Hip Dysplasia will be low.

·
Lisa
675 Posts
I believe the NY Times did an article on this about a year ago. The article was about chemical castration, though I'm not sure if it involved this particular drug. They focused on working dogs that needed to stay intact to keep from slowing down (their words, not mine), and countries around the world that prized the look of intact males. They didn't focus on health benefits, other than the zero recovery time.

I bet you could find it if you Googled it. It seems much more common outside the U.S. I considered it for my dog, but none of the vets in my area are trained to administer it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Zeuterin

Thanks a lot all. I got my Max Zeutered today. I have a list of Vets that do this procedure. It is not cheap but Considering the benefits of this over traditional neutering, I am glad we chose it for Max.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts