Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Zaniri's Together We Climb - Summit

15K views 194 replies 18 participants last post by  Rundlemtn 
#1 ·
Six years ago, our first golden retriever, Rundle was born (Rundle <3). Rundle is a fantastic companion and therapy dog. It is because of her that we have completely fallen in love with the golden breed.

Back in January 2020, we “began the search” to add another member to our family. I put this in quotations because there wasn’t much searching to be done at all. Zaniri had been on my radar for years by this point. She has bred some of the most amazingly talented dogs! As an avid hiker, and wannabe dog sport competitor, I knew that we would be in very good hands with Zaniri. So, I reached out to her about her Fall 2020 pairings. I knew I wanted a puppy later in the year for a couple reasons: 1) It would give us more time to grieve the loss of our 16-year-old cat who had just passed in December, and 2) by the time the puppy starts hitting its high-energy stage it will be summer-time – it is a lot easier to get outside to expend energy in 25 Celcius/77 Fahrenheit, versus -25 Celcius/-13 Fahrenheit.

Thankfully, Zaniri thought we would be an excellent home for one of her competition puppies! So, we began the wait. She had two litters planned for the fall. But, based on what we were looking for, she thought the Lucy x Red litter: Pedigree: Lucy x Red would produce the best results for us. Thankfully, the pairing took and produced ELEVEN beautiful puppies: five girls and six boys, born November 8, 2020.

At 7 weeks, they tested the litter and picked Kasie for us, the grey-collared girl. She is described as a moderate energy and temperament, people-oriented and structurally sound. She is everything that we were looking for in a puppy!

We picked her up the morning of the 29th and drove 13.5 hours to bring her home. She was an absolute dream on the car ride home; only whining when she had to go to the bathroom. Since arriving at home, she’s been such an easy, cuddly puppy. Woke up 2x last night to go potty, but quickly settled afterwards. She is getting on so well with our dog Rundle. It is SO great to see them happily playing together, already.

She will be CKC registered as Zaniri’s Together We Climb. Her call name is Summit. I will be starting agility with her in Feb, but I’m also am interested in Obedience, Field and Scent Work. I am so excited to see what we can accomplish together!

Wood Dog breed Hardwood Dog Flooring
Human Skin Dog breed Comfort Mammal
Dog breed Brown Skin Dog Carnivore

See less See more
#48 ·
I've been finding that if I take Rundle and Summit for a little stroll in the field behind my house that tires them out enough that I can get some work time in. I took some photos yesterday, and I love this first one. It just looks as though Summit is in her element, doing exactly what she is supposed to do! I can't wait to be able to take her on her first real hikes in the spring. But, lots of exploration to be done around home in the meantime. We have been really lucky to have pretty temperate weather in Alberta, since bringing Summit home. I know the snow and real cold will come yet. But, it's nice that she will be a little bit older before she does.
This is the last week that Summit gets fed 4x a day, and then we drop it to 3x starting Sunday. I'm hoping that by nixing the late meal, she might not have to get up through the night to potty anymore. She's still rather consistently getting up once per night to go to the bathroom. And maybe that will just be how it is for awhile. Overall, she's doing super well with her sleeping. Going to bed around 10:30PM and up at 6:30AM. That's basically the same sleep pattern I follow. But, with the getting up once per night, and how busy she is through the day, I do find myself feeling quite tired with trying to balance regular life and puppy raising. Rundle also seems a little extra tired these days. When the puppy naps, she naps - and she's sometimes she's so zonked that she can't even be bothered to move closer to us to cuddle! Even with how tired I'm feeling I'm trying to enjoy each day now, because puppyhood is so fleeting. Every morning I wake up, I swear she is bigger than the day before!
Right now she's cuddled up with me on the couch taking a snooze. I'm really glad she's a cuddly golden too. I know they say that females are more independent than males, but, both my females so far have been super cuddly. And I love a good doggy snuggle! Unlikely that we will ever have males, so I hope we keep lucking out with all the snuggly females <3
Winter Dog breed Brown Dog Snow
Dog breed Dog Winter Snow Carnivore
Winter Vertebrate Dog Carnivore Snow
Brown Dog breed Winter Dog Carnivore
Dog breed Brown Winter Dog Carnivore

#51 ·
That is a fantastic update! For one, you have wonderful pictures of that beautiful pup! Secondly, so much of what you posted mirrors our experience.

How big is she now?

Cody is 14wks and about 22lbs. That makes him a little below average from what I can tell. He looks and feels lean. I’m feeding him four times a day still, because he is hungry all the time.

#52 ·
Thanks so much! I haven't weighted Summit, as of yet. She will be 10wks old on Sunday, and has her appointment for her second vaccines the following day. I will find out her weight then. From my experience with Rundle, I'm not going to concern myself with weight that much. Rundle was the smallest of her litter, and was below average for a long time while she was growing. Now she weighs on average around 75lbs, which is large for a female! As long as Summit continues to grow, eat and look healthy (not over or underweight) that's really all I'm worried about.

#58 ·
Summit went to the vet today for her second set of vaccines. It's terrible with the current restrictions having to sent our dogs/puppies in without going in with them. I think she did well though, but, her appointment was a bit overshadowed by Rundle who also was seeing the vet today. Rundle has a lump on her leg. After a consult with the vet we decided that she will undergo a minor surgery tomorrow to remove it, and send it off to the pathologist. Thankfully all of the dogs are sleepy from their appointment, because it's no water or food for Rundle until after her surgery tomorrow morning. She might be a little extra grumpy with the pup in the morning, but, thankfully it's only a couple of hours until she is off to the vet for her procedure. The vet says we have to keep them separate while Rundle recovers from her anesthesia, but, they should be fine to be reunited by the evening. Thank goodness! Because Summit is so attached to her big sister. I think she'd be pretty upset to have to be separated very long.

We do know that Summit is in good health, and weighs a nice 16.4lbs. A great weight for a 10wk old female. And I'm so excited to be able to take her to more places, and to introduce her to neighborhood friends. The fun has just begun!

Dog breed Dog Carnivore Vertebrate Mammal
'

10 weeks

5.5 weeks, 7.5 weeks, 8 weeks and 10 weeks
Dog breed Brown Vertebrate Dog Skin

Causing trouble
Brown Dog breed Dog Vertebrate Carnivore

Waiting for big sister to come downstairs
Floor Carnivore Dog breed Flooring Fixture

#62 ·
Yes, they have been having a fun off-leash walk with me every morning, to help get their sillies out before I start work. And thank you! I have the awful job of withholding food and water since 8PM last night. It's terrible not being able to feed a hungry golden!

#63 ·
Sorry to hear about the lump on Rundle! Hope everything goes well with the surgery and biopsy.

Amazing photos again. Love the one of Summit waiting at the bottom of the stairs for her :)

#64 ·
Sorry to hear about the lump on Rundle! Hope everything goes well with the surgery and biopsy.
Amazing photos again. Love the one of Summit waiting at the bottom of the stairs for her :)
Thank you! So far we know her blood panel was normal (no elevated white blood cell count), so that is great start!
I also love that one of Summit waiting. I can't quite put my finger on it, but, there is something special in that moment... the lighting...the look... :love:

#65 ·
So, it's been a week since my last post! I just found it hard to muster up the energy to post when I was worried about Rundle. But, we got good news! Rundle's lump was diagnosed as a fibroplasia that had some spindle cells, so it is possible that it was a soft tissue sarcoma, developing. But, we caught it early, and they are confident that they got clean margins. So, they are not expecting it to come back, and she doesn’t need further treatment!! We are so relieved!!

In the meantime, the surgery has not slowed Rundle down for a minute. She and Summit have been playing all week! With Summit now having 2 sets of vaccines, her world has opened up, and we are busy introducing her to all kinds of things. We've had leash walks around the neighbourhood, meet ups people, dogs, children, and her first bath at the groomers. Next week if the COVID restrictions are lifted, she will have her first agility class! I cannot wait to get Summit into classes. She is so smart, and every day I see things starting to click in her head a little more. It will be nice to get more one-on-one time to work with her. I can see the dog she will become emerging, and it's so exciting!

Summit is 11wks!
Dog Couch Comfort Carnivore Dog breed

She's had her first leashed walks around the neighborhood
Dog Collar Dog breed Carnivore Pet supply

She's met kids.
Dog Vertebrate Snow Dog breed Dog supply

She's met dogs
Fence Felidae Mesh Carnivore Fawn

More dogs.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Fawn Companion dog

She went to the groomers!
Dog Liver Collar Carnivore Whiskers

Played with big sister
Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Mammal Carnivore

Dog Snow Carnivore Whiskers Companion dog

And is just generally such a cute and sweet puppy!
Dog Dog supply Carnivore Flooring Floor
Dog Snow Carnivore Dog breed Liver

#66 ·
That is good news about Rundle. I was thinking, oh no, as I first started to read, but a relief that they think they got it early and got it all. Hope that's the last you see it.

Great photos as always. I love this puppy time when you get to introduce them to a bunch of new things.

#67 ·
That is good news about Rundle. I was thinking, oh no, as I first started to read, but a relief that they think they got it early and got it all. Hope that's the last you see it.

Great photos as always. I love this puppy time when you get to introduce them to a bunch of new things.
I'm hoping so too!
It's definitely exciting being able to introduce her to so many new things now. Of course it's always a little bit stressful too because you want all of those new experiences to go well. But, so far so good I think 🤞

#73 ·
Glad to hear the great news about Rundle.
You and the girls have been busy, so many great pictures and adventures.
We are just beyond relieved over the news about Rundle! Now I can't wait to get her sutures out and move on from this scare. I'm definitely trying to expose Summit to as much as I can. It will be nice when she moves a little further/faster on leash, so I can take her even further out to explore. There are a lot of cool trails around my neighborhood!

#74 ·
So, I was slow to update for Summit's 12wks because I have been busy, busy, busy! I had a big work deadline. And my tattoo appointment finally came around, so I was in a tattoo chair for 2 days back-to-back! At 12wks, Summit is a spunky little thing, and loves to play with her sister all day. She’s the best little traveller. Sleeps the minute the car starts to move. I wish she would teach her older sister that one. Leading up to my tattoo appointments we had been constantly introducing her to knew people and friendly dogs. She’s quick to warm up to all. Definitely the confident little puppy we hoped for. Of course we have also learned with confidence come the willingness to push boundaries- way moreso than her submissive sister did as a pup. So, lots of consistency and repetition. She’s got legs for days, but, despite how the pictures look at around 12wks she was only about up to mid rib on Rundle. Not sure if she will achieve Rundle height. But with those legs I think she’ll be fast! She's already grown some since these photos, so, I will make a point to take more this weekend. My camera can hardly keep up with her!

Summit at 12wks
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Fawn

Loving hugs from her sister, Rundle.
Snow Dog Carnivore Fawn Companion dog

Summit giving her best lion impression!
Snow Dog Dog breed Carnivore Fawn

Moving so fast these days it's getting harder to get clear action shots!
Snow Dog Dog breed Carnivore Fawn

Met Milo, an almost 1yr old, 80-85lb silver lab! Rundle helped socialize him back when he was just a little thing!
Dog Carnivore Collar Dog breed Snow

Rundle loves to have Summit chase her around the yard. Then she hides behind the stairs, while Summit barks at her to get out and run again!
Snow Dog Vertebrate Carnivore Dog breed

This is the tattoo I got. I will post an updated pic of the actual tattoo once the artist has a chance to add her logo to the photo. She did an outstanding job! I plan to get a Summit tattoo one day as well. But, I want to wait until she is full grown, so it truly resembles her, as I will know her. Puppyhood is so fleeting!
Black Sleeve Working animal Dog Style

13wk update coming soon!

#77 ·
Yup, still adorable.

I can't imagine two days in a tattoo chair. Holy. Is it as big as the photo of it?
LOL! Thanks! Yes, it's huge! It goes down the entire right side of my thigh. I'd say the last 3hrs were quite tough. But, totally worth it. It turned out amazing! My husband is in the chair today and tomorrow getting a half sleeve done of our cat who passed away last year and Rundle. I saw the design and it is similar, yet different. Also beautiful!

#79 ·
Time is flying! I can't believe how fast these puppy days are going by. Summit is 14wks old now! A week from today she will be fully vaccinated! The weather the past two weeks has been extremely challenging. We were in what's called a polar vortex. I kid you not, on Thursday I think it was we saw -50 degree Celcius, equivalent to -58 degree Fahrenheit weather. It was way too cold to get out for any kind of walks for the past 2 weeks! So socializing consisted of trips to the pet store, and borrowing my neighbours 7-month old puppy, Zoey. I posted some pictures of them playing below.

Covid still continues to interfere with our ability to attend training classes. This is beyond frustrating, as I have such big plans in mind for competing with Summit. I'm hoping that starting later then I was hoping will not interfere with that. She is super smart, and her obedience training at home is going very well. Her biting has majorly dissipated the past couple of weeks, and is now being replaced with kisses. When she isn't playing she is super snuggly. She's a really sweet pup!

Her daytime naps are getting longer and more predictable, which has been making it much easier to get work done through the day - for that I could not be more thankful! And she's doing really with being left alone too. Yesterday evening, Adam and I drove an hour away to have take-out nachos and pizza in our truck in the mountains. She was by herself for about 3.5hrs - her longest time alone yet. We came home to no accidents or destruction :) I'm so happy that she is not showing any signs of separation anxiety, because eventually we will get back to work full-time. By March, I'd be really happy if she could do 4hrs, reliably. It takes me about 25min to get to work, so, for days when I go in - at least I would have 2hrs to get some solid work done before I would need to head back and let her out. She will be 4 months-old on March 8th. If you go by the equation that they can hold their pee for an hour for each month that they are born, then I think that will be a very reasonable expectation for her.

Our cold snap is finally ending today! It will still be cold, but, it will not be insanely cold. So, hopefully this coming week I can start getting some more interesting pictures of her that are not just in our home and backyard. And I am really looking forward to when it warms up enough that I can start taking her on hikes! She is going to love it! She's such an athlete - Summit was born to climb!

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Liver Fence
Snow Dog Carnivore Fence Collar
Dog Vertebrate Snow Dog breed Carnivore
Dog Dog breed Dog supply Snow Carnivore
Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Carnivore Chair
Head Dog Dog breed Carnivore Whiskers

#82 ·
Love watching her grow. You're right. Minus-60 C is just ridiculous. Our share of the vortex has only plunged us to minus-20. Can't even imagine what minus-60 feels like.

I wouldn't worry about missing classes right now. What you are doing with her is giving her that strong foundation. She is learning from you every day, all day. She'll probably be top of the class once they resume!

#83 ·
I wouldn't worry about missing classes right now. What you are doing with her is giving her that strong foundation. She is learning from you every day, all day. She'll probably be top of the class once they resume!
Thank you so much! The reassurance is much appreciated! I really want her to love classes and working together. And it will be so nice to have the one-on-one time to train with her. Hopefully soon!!

#85 ·
Lovely girl. I am sure you are laying a great foundation for training at home. Your nachos and pizza truck date sounds so cute!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you re the training! And thank you re the truck date! It was much needed. We haven't taken time to just be a couple in awhile. It was really nice to connect outside of the home again.

#89 ·
So Summit is now 15 weeks! She's had all of her puppy vaccines, and the vet says she weights 27.4lbs. Crazy to think she is 3lbs more than Rundle was when she was the same age. Rundle was the smallest female in her litter, but, boy did she catch up! And now Rundle is quite large by golden standards - the same size as most golden males. I'm curious to see how big Summit gets relative to Rundle. She ran into another golden in my neighbourhood who is a conformation champion. I was surprised to see that Summit was almost as tall as her already! She's all legs, legs and more legs. LOL!

As promised, the warmer weather has brought on bigger adventures! Summit is really starting to be able to see and enjoy all of the wonderful things my neighbourhood has to offer. And with more outdoor stimulation [also more maturity] Summit is become much better behaved in the house. She's no longer darting into the laundry basket to steal laundry, or the shoe closet to steal shoes, and she's no longer going after things she shouldn't be, like dangling laptop cords. She's still doing super well when left alone to go places. She just settles in and takes a nap until we return.

I had an interesting reflection waking up this morning and realized how non-submissive Summit is compared to Rundle. I wonder if it is in part due to the fact that Summit has an older, bigger sister to grow up with? Or if it's truly just a difference in temperament. But, Rundle spent a lot of her puppyhood on her back. Every person, every dog, she was constantly laying down and showing her belly. When my husband would come home from work she would submissive pee. I think I have yet to see Summit do any of these behaviours! It is quite the shocking contrast between the two when I think of it!

Probably in biggest news! Some classes are officially open again! Not agility or competition obedience unfortunately... I guess they figure too much moving around is required for those classes. So, in the meantime, I have enrolled Summit in a tricks class starting March 2nd! I figure we can start working on her tricks titles while we are waiting for more classes and competitions to open again. I am so excited to FINALLY bring her to a class, and get the one-on-one training time with her. Looking at the requirements for the novice title, Summit can already do more than half of the items on the list. So, we will have that title in the bag in no time at all.

The last update I have is that Summit has officially graduated from her crate and is sleeping in bed with us now. And just like Rundle, after moving out of the crate, she is no longer waking me up in the night to go potty. She seems to love being up on the bed with us - mostly laying down by our feet right now. In the morning we come downstairs and have some snuggles before breakfast. It seems every week things are getting a little bit easier. It's funny when I look back to Rundle's thread and see all of the struggles we had the first time around. It is so much easier the second time. But, I may have to eat my words as we see what the teething and teenage stages have in mind for us!

Morning snuggles and shenanigans
Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Carnivore Mammal

Summit 14.5wks
Dog Snow Carnivore Liver Dog breed

Strike a pose!
Dog Dog breed Snow Carnivore Sky

Rundle is showing me the ropes!
Sky Dog Snow Carnivore Dog breed

That's my town down there! Can we go see all the people mom?
Dog Snow Carnivore Collar Dog breed

We found a secret hide-out!
Dog Snow Carnivore Mammal Tree

Tag! Your it!
Snow Dog Plant Carnivore Dog breed

And now that your big, Mom will take us out here for walks all the time!
Snow Dog Vertebrate Carnivore Dog breed

Don't worry kid! Your quintessential golden smile will come!
Dog Dog breed Tree Carnivore Collar

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.