Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The hook was full of bate and when I arrive next to her was to late to prevent her from eating.
I took her right to the vet and she had stomach surgery.
My question is I can't stop taking her to the beach has i live in an apartment and that is the place for her to run and interact with other dogs.
The vet says i should put her a muzzle to stop her from eating whatever she finds. I've read that muzzles create self-esteem issues and that her wonderful character can change due to that, she is a great dog with an amazing personality everyone loves her, in the vet she lets them do everything to her without complaining. I don't want her to change, i just want her to be safe.
What options do I have? Anyone has the same problem? What did you do?

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
We start on a short leash & go over the area we're going to play. Stupid people leave all kinds of trash on the beach & you've got to watch out for dead birds too(their bones can really cause issues & they stink!) Once we have checked the area we go to to 30 ft leashes & if there's nobody around we'll let them run free but recall is hard on the beach about 85% for me there(less for the wife) 95% about everywhere else. Good luck don't give up!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much, usually we walk from one side to the other of the beach which makes it hard, but I will use your method ;)

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
There also techniques to teach dogs not to eat anything without their humans permission. It is challenging but it can be done. It's more than "leave it," which is also really important. It trains the dog to tell the human when it finds something interesting (something like a fish head) in order to get a reward. There's a training method called "Nothing in Life is Free," which might work for you. Also called NILF. You can find information on GRF and on the internet.

Good luck! It's a balancing act between letting our dogs have fun and be dogs, and keeping them safe!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts