Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my moms boyfriend has a five month old GSD, its not potty trained, and they don't have time for it, he is always at work, and his two daughters are always at school/moms house.
I don't know if there is something wrong with the dog or if its just from being ingored, but it chases its tail, alot! like you look at it, it chases it tail, another dog walks by, it chases its tail, instead of sniff or look interested in another dog, it chases its tail. now when it catches its tail, it chews it, i mean like its a chew toy, but it doesn't whine or yelp, maybe it can't feel it? it cane move its tail ( wag, ect).
they don't have moeny for the vets right now, and neither do i otherwise i would take it.
they live in washington and i live in Oregon, I have offered to keep it for a few months and work with it, on the potty training, and see if i can get him to stop chasing its tail.

but what is your opinion, does it chase it because of neglect, or is something mentaly wrong with it?

·
Registered
511 Posts
So my moms boyfriend has a five month old GSD, its not potty trained, and they don't have time for it, he is always at work, and his two daughters are always at school/moms house.
I don't know if there is something wrong with the dog or if its just from being ingored, but it chases its tail, alot! like you look at it, it chases it tail, another dog walks by, it chases its tail, instead of sniff or look interested in another dog, it chases its tail. now when it catches its tail, it chews it, i mean like its a chew toy, but it doesn't whine or yelp, maybe it can't feel it? it cane move its tail ( wag, ect).
they don't have moeny for the vets right now, and neither do i otherwise i would take it.
they live in washington and i live in Oregon, I have offered to keep it for a few months and work with it, on the potty training, and see if i can get him to stop chasing its tail.

but what is your opinion, does it chase it because of neglect, or is something mentaly wrong with it?
I would say your dog is very bored from being understimulated and underchallenged, IOW neglected. With all due respect, if your Mom & boyfriend don't have time to train, stimulate and bond with the dog and don't have money for a vet, please surrender the dog immediately to a no-kill rescue. There are many people like myself who are able and willing to give a dog the environment it deserves. If this environment continues, the dog will probably become agressive and neurotic. You may as well chain him to a tree in the backyard. Sorry for being so blunt, but some people have no business owning a dog.

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
I would say he is bored and has such little socialization skills that he doesn't know how to act or what to do, so chases his tail. I agree, he needs mental as well as physical stimulation. GSD's are working dogs and highly intelligent. He needs to work off energy and be given a purpose. If you are not able to properly keep him, you might contact your local GSD Rescue or check with your Police k9 units. They may be interested in him. My Aunt just retired from the Police Force, she was a k9 Officer and some of her dog-partners came from families who had donated their pup to the force. Just a thought.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
It definitely sounds like a nervous response, but whether he's doing it because he's not wired right, or if he's acting this way simply because he's nervous and/or frustrated and doesn't know HOW to react is nearly impossible to say (IMO) without actually seeing the dog.

A 5-month-old GSD showing this level of frustration and weak nerves is not good. He's growing up to be a very unpredictable dog.

Do they want to find him another home, or are they planning to keep him even though they don't have time for him?

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
I agree with what's been said, have them give it up or find it a better home ASAP. Knowing people though, I don't see that happening. So what you can do to help. Send them a box full of doggy toys , ropes and pulls and balls, and just anything else you find really cute. Big lots sells quality toys at bargain prices. Buy some books about potty training/training and meeting your dogs needs and through them in the box. And yes, even if it annoys your mom, if there is no progress at home, vigilantly tell your mom that she really needs to find a new home for this dog with people who can enjoy her and they can enjoy her back. If the dog is peeing and pooping in the house for several months I don't see how your mom and her boyfriend can really be enjoying this dog. Paint your mom to be the hero of this situation, Gee, mom, I know it's so hard for you to do the right thing for this dog because you love her so much. But to be able to let her go for her best interests - you are such a wonderful person!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for your responces. First, the dog belongs to my mothers boyfriend, my mom does not live with her boyfriend. they have only been dating for two months now, so at this point she doesn't have anything to say about the dog. i have suggested maybe finding a new home, and he siad hes thought about it, but he spent 2,500 on it. ( i looked up the breeder's website and he did spend that much on him.
I am not saying since he spent money on the dog that he should keep it. infact i think the oposite, if he doesn't have time for a dog, he shouldn't spend the money to buy one.
I'm going to have my mom talk to him, and see if i can take the dog for a few months and work with him, i think if he is potty trained he will get more time inside, around people, so if i can potty train him and he goes back to my mom's boyfriend hopefully the situation will get better.
any other suggestions would be great.
thanks!

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I also vote that he should surrender the dog to a rescue. Even potty trained a GSD NEEDS something to do. Obviously this isn't happening in that environment.

·
Luke, Maggie, and Tucker
3,045 Posts
Poor baby. :( I would think, from what you described, that it is more out of being bored and poor socialization that this pup is showing these behaviors. They need to act quickly to correct this. Poor pup. :(

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
That definitely sounds like boredom. We also own a GSD who is now 10 years old. They are a working/herding breed and need to be mentally stimulated. GSDs, just like most dogs, are a LOT of work and it sounds like they just don't have time or money for this poor pup, which is not fair to the dog. They can also be a very stubborn breed and need extra tough training and it doesn't sound like he is getting this right now. Out of all the dogs I have ever owned, our GSD was the toughest to housebreak. It really sounds to me like they need to rehome this dog ASAP so he can be with someone who has the time and money to properly raise this dog and provide him a good home.

·
Registered
511 Posts
thanks for your responces. First, the dog belongs to my mothers boyfriend, my mom does not live with her boyfriend. they have only been dating for two months now, so at this point she doesn't have anything to say about the dog. i have suggested maybe finding a new home, and he siad hes thought about it, but he spent 2,500 on it. ( i looked up the breeder's website and he did spend that much on him.
I am not saying since he spent money on the dog that he should keep it. infact i think the oposite, if he doesn't have time for a dog, he shouldn't spend the money to buy one.
I'm going to have my mom talk to him, and see if i can take the dog for a few months and work with him, i think if he is potty trained he will get more time inside, around people, so if i can potty train him and he goes back to my mom's boyfriend hopefully the situation will get better.
any other suggestions would be great.
thanks!
Ok, spends $2500 on dog but can't afford vet care. Sounds fishy to me.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Yea I was thinking the same thing artbuc.
GSD's as the other's have said NEED! stimulation...They need SOMETHING to do.
I will never understand why people pick some of the most active breeds when they either are couch potatoes or just don't plan on doing anything with them in the first place!
The GSD is chasing his tail & showing these behaviors because he doesn't know any other way to act, This pup needs help & Fast to correct his problems! I'm guessing he gets no exercise, & probably no chew toys either. :(
This is one of the reasons why many dogs end up in shelters...The Owners buy the dog & are assuming the puppy will train itself into a wonderful, well mannered dog!
The best thing you guys can do is get this Pup to a no-kill shelter, a GSD Rescue would be even better! They'd work with him & have him where he should be potty trained, well mannered, beginning some training & plenty of socialization & then he would be sent to a Well screened home.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
The tail chasing is probably the dog's herding and hunting instincts finding the only available outlet. Whether or not it's from pure understimulation or combined with a mental problem, it'll turn into a full blown, hard to cure behavioral issue if it goes on long enough. The more he engages in the behavior, the more hard wired it's going to be.

It's such a said situation...people buy dogs without really thinking through all the details. A purebred GSD shouldn't be too hard to adopt out to a good home if the boyfriend is willing to admit he made a mistake in bringing a dog into his life. At this age, rehabilitation will be a lot easier than if he waits.

And I do think it's quite likely that the dog will become dangerous, aggressive, or self-injuring if the situation continues indefinitely.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts