Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Phoebe's Dad
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always thought Goldens are the most beautiful dogs around but my tale of why I love Goldens so much is a sad one.

I remember it all so vividly....

I was 8 or 9 and my parents brought home a beautiful Golden that we named "Arnie" for my birthday present.

I remember how close Arnie and I were and how we always had fun times together.

During this time we lived in an apartment building and since I was young, I couldnt take Arnie out for morning walks as I was not strong enough.

Then came the day that my parents sat me down and told me that Arnie was too big for our apartment and that they were going to be giving him to a co worker of my dad's who lives in a house with a lot of property. I cant remember the exact age of Arnie when he was given away but I would guess no older that a year and a half.

I remember crying for days but my parents kept saying he was too big for the apartment.

Ever since that day I knew I would own a Golden and would give it the best life.

I now live in an apartment with my wife and had one dog (Bichon Frise) and it took me a year to convince her to let us get a Golden.

Like many, she didnt think Goldens could live in apartments. I told her that I wanted to prove everyone wrong and show people that with the right ammount of exercise, Goldens can adapt well to apartments.

6 months ago my wife and I brought a new Golden addition home. We named her Phoebe. She has been nothing short of amazing. She goes to a dog park at least once a day and not to mention all the trips to the in laws farm on weekends ;)

My proudest moments come from when we have company over in our apartment and they cant stop complimenting Phoebe on how calm and relaxed she is.

I finally proved to the doubters I know that Goldens can live in apartments :)

Thank you for all taking the time to read this :) I would love to hear your stories as well :)

Attachments

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Homeward Bound.... LOL.

Sometimes I think if my dog could talk, he'd talk like Shadow.

I almost got a Boxer for my first dog but ended up with a Golden instead. I'm glad I did!

I will always have a Golden in my life, now.

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Mine is a different one. I was TERRIFIED of all dogs growing up. I had an incident I dont remember when I was really little but it stuck with me all my life. My mom said I had a dog radar cuz I would hear it coming from a ways away and I would hide any way I could because I was that scared.

I started dating my now husband when we were 13/14 years old. His family always had golden retrievers and at that time they had their second one, Autumn. She was probably about 4 or 5 at this time. I didn't know he had a dog and one night my friend and I showed up at his house. My parents had already left from dropping us off so I had no where to go. He opend the door...and there was Autumn, a typical golden just waiting to greet us. To me, that was frightening.

Brian said at the time you can only come in with the dog out, cuz I had asked if she could be put in another room. He wouldn't let me in unless I was in there with his dog. So I did it..and that changed everything for me. She was obviously the sweetest dog ever, just wanted love and pets..which in time I was compeltely comfortable with. Now I LOVE dogs..complete 180. My entire family can't believe I now own a dog. I would sit up on my uncles shoulders at holiday parties if there was a dog around. So thanks to the wonderful love of a golden I now appreciate dogs like I never did.

·
Registered
277 Posts
i was also different. my whole childhood i could not stand dogs, i'd been attacked a couple times, so it was probably more fear than hate. this spring, i started my second season on a small, 6 vehicle ferry that crosses the peace river. the previous season, i learned it can get quite lonely and one of my co-workers would bring his dog down with him and i'd grown fond of her, so much i wanted a dog of my own. a golden wasn't my top choice, but after my first visit to the breeder's, i was in love. she was the last of the litter and looked so sad in the pen all alone. we brought her home and i have never been happier.. she is truly the greatest dog i have ever met. no matter how good or bad my day is, i know she is always there to brighten my day with so much unconditional love. =)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Great stories everyone, I enjoyed reading them all!

It started for me the second I met Trooper...I know that sounds cliche...but it's the truth. To be honest, there are so many Golden Retrievers and Labs around the area I live, and the last thing I want is to be like everyone else...I go out of my way to be different.

I was 17, in a new relationship with my now (and I think forever) boyfriend, we were still in highschool, skipping class looking through the classifieds, and found a BYB who had a litter of Retrievers, and a litter of Huskies, ready to go. My boyfriend and I up and left, simply because we had the car that day, and the money in our bank accounts, and we had no idea what we were doing, just wanted a puppy all of a sudden.

Well we had a choice between the huskies and the Goldens....and Trooper was the only puppy sitting calmly, and he was full of mud. We said "I want him"....and I'll never look back. Considering I was young, foolish, and didn't take ANYTHING into consideration when making the decision, all worked out well. I loved every second of having a puppy, and handled the responsibility well (now looking back...I'm kinda proud of myself). I believe if we had chose the huskies, things could have gone very differently. I believe I was blessed with Trooper, honestly, someone was watching over me that day...and blessed me with Trooper :)...oooh tear.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
One evening I was in a hair salon getting a cut when a woman came in to show-off her Golden puppy. It was the cutest thing Id ever seen, looked like a teddy bear. At the time we had a newborn and were being transferred overseas. But I promised myself my next puppy would be a Golden. It took about 9 years but I finally got my Golden puppy! Maggie is now at Rainbow Bridge and I have my second Golden, Hank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts