Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Jay S.
71 Posts
I teach the "quiet" command. I used it quite a bit when I ran labs but so far only needed on one golden and it is very effective for her. When your dog barks(or whines), open up the dog box door put your strong hand around the muzzle and squeeze the top and bottom together(until they vocalize) while calmly saying(in your inside voice) "no-quiet". Close the door. Repeat as necessary. Yes, you will need to hang outside the dog box door for a bit and not do anything else. It requires a lot of patience but it works. Think of it as a bit of a drill in and of its own - be consistent. After some of the manual work is done you can collar condition this effectively - squeeze muzzle, "quiet", collar nick. For me, I must have an absolute silent dog while hunting migratory birds and sitting for long periods in a dog blind. That is the reason I say do this "calmly and in your inside voice" above.

·
Premium Member
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I teach the "quiet" command. I used it quite a bit when I ran labs but so far only needed on one golden and it is very effective for her. When your dog barks(or whines), open up the dog box door put your strong hand around the muzzle and squeeze the top and bottom together(until they vocalize) while calmly saying(in your inside voice) "no-quiet". Close the door. Repeat as necessary. Yes, you will need to hang outside the dog box door for a bit and not do anything else. It requires a lot of patience but it works. Think of it as a bit of a drill in and of its own - be consistent. After some of the manual work is done you can collar condition this effectively - squeeze muzzle, "quiet", collar nick. For me, I must have an absolute silent dog while hunting migratory birds and sitting for long periods in a dog blind. That is the reason I say do this "calmly and in your inside voice" above.
Thanks!
I had to use that exact method last weekend. My older dog Riot, was not impressed that Ruby was learning how to retrieve on water. I honestly don’t think he knew he was whining. I held his muzzle each time he whined and said quiet, and I was nice and calm. It took a while along with a few “no birds” before he finally quit. I didn’t elevate it to a collar condition. It was good that I was able to be right there to make the connection with him, that he was whining, so I guess it was more of an attrition. Then he was pretty good after that. Sometimes dogs just get jacked up and of course all the birds are theirs...

·
Registered
6 Posts
You shouldn't yelling, yelling will only increase the amount of whining. Honestly, yelling at your dog is never the solution. Yelling is giving your dog what they want: your attention. And ignore them is one thing you should do. At first, you leaving will only make the whining get louder. In other words, it’s going to be torture for you, but if you want this behavior stopped, you need to power through. Or you can let your dog sit still if they obediently enjoy their food. I read some tips on website and see it work.
Maybe take a look at these 2 sites to see what you think..

21 - 26 of 26 Posts