Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4 month old puppy is quite entertaining. She's lost a lot of teeth and at times spits bumpers out because her mouth is obviously sore. Her retrieving is very nice and she will do short sight blinds to a pile. Good fun puppy stuff. I haven't quite got her figured out on 2 sides, but I think she'll do fine once I show her what I want. She's a wonderful pup and has been super easy to train. She loves the snow and the cold and it quite fearless of new things.

But, isn't there always a but?, she is a whiner and barker. She carries on like a crazy dog at times. I'll be out in the field running Riot and I can hear that puppy carry on in her crate in the car from 50 yards away, with the windows up. If I go outside to load the car while she's inside in her x-pen, she howls and whines and cries, very loudly. I haven't had a pup carry on like this before to this extent. My first instinct is to ignore it figuring she will get over it, but it got worse. I then moved on to yelling, but that didn't work either, and I didn't like doing that either. I know a lot of it can be fixed with a bark collar, but she's a bit young for one now. Does anyone have a suggestion? I can't be training Riot while he's distracted by her howling at the top of her lungs. This pup really loves to hear herself sing!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I think I'd try to avoid giving her the excuse to bark and whine. She's excited about training, which is great and I wouldn't want to dampen that enthusiasm. Maybe do a bunch of training with her first so she is tired then stake her out close by and let her watch while you work with another dog, then repeat. Usually they catch on quickly to when it's their turn.
When loading the vehicle to train, put her in first so she doesn't have to worry about being left out. Eventually she will have to learn it isn't always about her but at 4 months it's all about building confidence and enthusiasm IMO.

·
the party's crashing us
4,190 Posts
Train her first
Cover the crate or window so she can't see
Grin and bear it and when she hits six months, bark collar it is

·
Super Moderator
3,672 Posts
Stacey

My experience: Patience, labor intensive, reward for quiet, and constant maintenance. AND just like you don't send a noisy dog for a retrieve, a noisy dog should not be rewarded with work.
I did successfully train Thor to be quiet while crated while I trained Buffy on obedience in the house. He was absolutely terrible.The method I used was very non-aversive but I first got the quiet with the bark collar. If the dog is already barking you can't train with my method. BTW, very operant. I rewarded the good calm behavior. I continued this in the field. I must say that it requires maintenance.
The worst thing I had seen was a man provoking his dog to bark. He brought him up to another truck that had dogs in it to make him bark. He whipped the daylights out of the dog with a healing stick. It was cruel. I reported him to the president of the club. His response was "He's been working on that a long time, got to solve that early". Actually this was grounds for being thrown out of the club but it didn't happen. Anyway, that is what you don't do IMHO.
My method includes crated dog, visible reward (treats), and a no reward marker. I do not shout at the barking dog, he only thinks that you are barking back and that may encourage more barking. The dog gets the treat if he maintains calm for varying periods of time. The treat disappears from view if he barks.
OK, you may not like it but I can say it worked for me.

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stacey

My experience: Patience, labor intensive, reward for quiet, and constant maintenance. AND just like you don't send a noisy dog for a retrieve, a noisy dog should not be rewarded with work.
I did successfully train Thor to be quiet while crated while I trained Buffy on obedience in the house. He was absolutely terrible.The method I used was very non-aversive but I first got the quiet with the bark collar.
How old was Thor when you put the bark collar on him? Ruby is 4 months. I think that's still too young. I think 6 months would be better. In the meantime she's a howler. I was taking a shower and could hear her in her x-pen howling, barking and whining this morning. Nobody else was home. It was really annoying.

·
Super Moderator
3,672 Posts
I really don't remember but I am sure he was not that young.
If you do a Google search you can find more info on training "quiet". I found at least one article that did say you need to get the quiet first by using the bark collar.
Here is a rule that I follow: If the dog is too excited (substitute reactive, hyper, etc) that he won't take a treat, you can't do any training. That is why getting some calm first is important.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Waiting may result in the undesirable behavior becoming so ingrained that it will never be remedied.
Frankly, however, it may never be remedied no matter what you do. I have a barker; at 3 1/2 months he began wearing a "baby bark collar" yet he still barks at 2 3/4 y.o. (I may have turned it on too quickly, thereby allowing him to become bark-collar-wise.) However, early bark collar application certainly did NOT affect his desire, spirit, drive, etc., etc., etc. Further, it did not affect his subsequent collar conditioning, which happened around 6-7 months.
Point of interest, the barker's sibling doesn't bark, never has, despite always being even more enthusiastic about retrieving, training (fyi ... you may remember seeing me train that crazy female that ended up with the prefix titles ... this one is possibly more enthusiastic than that one!!!).
There's no sure-thing when fixing this particular problem.
Good Luck!
FTGoldens

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your thoughts. My first golden was a horrible barker. We tried everything including a bark collar. But that was over 20 years ago and products weren’t as good as they are now. I remember her finally barking less when she was about 12 years old. FT, I think you’re right. If I put a bark collar on, she is very smart and would become collar wise too.

·
Registered
259 Posts
My new 17 week old Golden, must be related to your pup! Now I have had a lot of Golden's over the years, but this little guy is the noisiest pup I have ever had! He also is absolutely fearless...his pedigree with full of field dogs with varied tittles, so his energy level is also over the top. But, let's talk barking!

One command I always teach my dogs if 'quite'! That means no noise period! The technique I use is simple. When the dog wines or barks I say 'quite', they I put my hand around his muzzle and gently hold it shut, commanding 'quite' again. Then I remove my hand. I continue this until he stops the noise. First few times it takes a while, but soon they understand. Then just the command will stop the sound, of course you will be tested off and on, but then we go back to teaching again.

If he is still testing me at times, when he turns 6 month, then a bark collar will be used to encourage success...

·
Super Moderator
3,672 Posts
Stacey

Don't give up! Buffy was very noisy as a pup. Thor was noisy, behavior modification fixed it, it returned when I let up on maintenance. However I have fixed it again. You will need lots of patience. BTW he was crated for this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts