Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Since I'm going to be bringing a new puppy on Otc 6th, and it's not a golden puppy I'm posting here.

The breeder feeds his puppies a brand of food I do not want my new puppy on. The puppy will be 10 weeks old when I take him home, and I don't want to change the food until the puppy is a bit older.

What age can I change his food to something I rather use? 4 months or can it be sooner. I have changed it sooner with my other dogs in the past, but I have been reading they need to age a little first etc

Any info will be very helpful and thanks for your time

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what breed of puppy is it?

It's generally a good rule of thumb to wait three or four weeks after you get the puppy before switching from the breeder food just so that so much isn't changing for him/her all at one time. It isn't about them aging a little first. It's entirely about the comfort level of the puppy and keeping him/her feeling secure. Going from his/her mom and littermates to a new family is a huge, monumental move. He/she will need time to adjust and the last thing that should change right away is his/her food. Based on your original post, you know this already. So good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Just out of curiosity, what breed of puppy is it?

It's generally a good rule of thumb to wait three or four weeks after you get the puppy before switching from the breeder food just so that so much isn't changing for him/her all at one time. It isn't about them aging a little first. It's entirely about the comfort level of the puppy and keeping him/her feeling secure. Going from his/her mom and littermates to a new family is a huge, monumental move. He/she will need time to adjust and the last thing that should change right away is his/her food. Based on your original post, you know this already. So good luck!
Yes I don't want to stress out little Panda (his name) anymore than he already will be. He is a pomeranian puppy, and looks like a panda bear. Once I have pictures I'll post them here to share.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, and I hope he will do well once we change his food in 2 months

·
Registered
85 Posts
Two months is fine. Whatever is most effective for you and for your puppy. If he starts to get picky about the breeder food or shows a lot of interest in Rusty's food, you could decide to accelerate the food transition. Always up to you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts