Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Our pup is now 6 months old and is a great addition to our family. He’s inquisitive, generally obedient, calm and overall a great pet. He’s no show dog and probably not from great parentage. He appears to be in fine health with a nice sheen to his coat.

Just one thing about this dog has me worried about his future health. His rear haunches appear slightly taller than his shoulders. I’ve been looking at other dogs while we’ve been out walking. Most others have a pronounced bend at the knee similar to that of a German shepherd however my dogs is relatively straight. When he runs he can look a bit goofy as his rear kicks higher than his front.
There’s nothing I can do now but is this likely to cause him issues in the years to come?

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Growing puppies go through some really disproportionate stages. I remember Rukie looking like his back legs were longer than his front. I don't know about the bend in the knee but you should ask your vet next time. A lot of puppies look very funny and loose jointed when they run and some are just being goofy. Rukie does a horse prance thing he thinks is very cool.

Reactions: Jdquinn

·
Super Moderator
1,723 Posts
do you have a photo of him, that could help. That being said they really do go through all sorts of awkward stages. at one point my boy seemed to lose his rear angulation and his knee bend all but disappeared. I spoke to my breeder about it and she reassured me it would come back, and it did!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all

monty ( my pup) definitely does the horse thing as well. I’ll monitor him for a while but from these two replies it’s prob nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Puppies go high in the rear- nothing to worry about unless he's still high in the rear in 2-3 months.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I want to say my boy was high in the rear around 6ish months and then all of a sudden caught up in front and looked nicely put together by 9 months and basically just continued to fill out and mature from there. I wouldn’t worry either.

·
Super Moderator
900 Posts
I remember thinking my girlwas built like a racecar for a while. Her but being higher in the air. Suddenly one day she wasn't..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts