Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this is my first time posting here, and I'm quite nervous! My doggie, Shenanigan is about one and a half years old, two in October, we believe. On the Fourth of July, he threw up bile several times. Then, he crept into his cage, and would not show interest in a thing. He wouldn't eat anything, was very lethargic, and wouldn't drink. We took him into the emergency vet that day, and he perked up a little. He got excited at the other dogs there, but he had very watery diarrhea in the parking lot.

We then took him into the vet to be checked out. He lied there abnormally lethargically. (He's usually extremely playful and energetic! In a new place, he's crazy and out of control!) The vet felt around his body, and anus to check for anything stuck in his body-- like a toy or other foreign objects. He said nothing seemed off there. Then, my parents decided to get him the IV thing (I don't remember exactly what it's called, he had like a sac of water on the side of his body). He perked up a lot after that, but still was lethargic and crept into bed. The next day he was very, very energetic, just about his old self for awhile, and it was almost like a relapse at the same time as the day before! I was so upset, and we almost went back to the vet before he sprung up again when my aunt came over.

The vet gave him an anti-nausea medication, and also prescribed him metronidazole for a week, I believe. He's on a bland diet as well, only chicken and rice. His appetite has returned 100% to normal, thankfully! He ravenously devours his dinners, and if you get any food out he gets VERY excited. Sometimes he'll play around, but he gets tired of it more quickly. He still lies around a lot more than usual, and in his cage. It's not lethargy, I don't think, because he'll spring up when someone comes over, and he barks at strangers, and if you call him for a treat (which isn't given, of course, on the diet) he'll hop right up. But, he isn't marching around the house as normal.

He also hasn't pooped since the diarrhea! He has urinated, sometimes just a little bit. I'm very worried about how little he drinks! I tried buying pedialyte, but he doesn't do much but sip at that either! :( Yesterday, he kind of did a wet cough a few times, but I don't know if that has something to do with the pill going down dry after his food. His bark is a little bit scratchy at times, but mostly seems normal.

My parents don't want to bring him back in because they think he'll recover on his own with the medicine, and such. They just got the treatment, and didn't get any diagnostic tests or anything. We're on a tight budget, and my mom insists that we might as well get the treatments, if he gets better, who cares what it is!

He hasn't thrown up or got diarrhea since the Fourth, but he still is not himself, and lays around more than usual, and hasn't pooped! I'm eighteen, and don't have enough money to bring him back to the vet myself, and my parents just think I'm paranoid and being ridiculous. (I am a little paranoid, as when I was fourteen, we lost our golden, Shamrock, at age four very, very suddenly-- after she threw up, and then got VERY lethargic, and anorexic, but she, however, never got up once she went down, which eases me a little. But, I'm petrified of losing my Shenanigan! I love him a lot, and so does my little, nine-year-old sister, he was a Christmas present from "Santa" at our late Nana's request while she was passing away).

I really want to get him checked out, and run tests to see what the problem is to make sure it's not something chronic, and it'll just pass because I'm losing my mind in worry! Like I said, he's up and about, and eats his food normally, and gets excited when people come home, jumps on them, goes out for quick walks, and plays a little. But, he won't drink that much, and we have to mix it in with his food, and his energy isn't near normal, though it isn't completely static! I'm very worried, and the rest of my family just thinks I'm nuts. What do you guys think? It's been since Sunday, so four days. Is it normal for something like this to pass? I feel like it's taking SO LONG, but maybe it's because I'm so worried. I've been googling every little symptom, and jumping to the worst conclusions, crying about how goldens are prone to cancer and such. He's only 1.5! Do you think he'll be okay? :(

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
Did you vet take x-rays to rule out an obstruction or partial obstruction?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No! I would like to, but my parents don't want to spend the money when they don't think it's necessary. Do you think that's what it sounds like?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree, I just don't know how to convince my parents. They all think I've gone crazy and have OCD for worrying so much. They think I read crazy stuff on the internet and don't take me seriously… I don't know how to get him in. :(

·
Chester's mom
516 Posts
You should call your vet and talk to them on the phone. The phone call doesn't cost anything and they will tell you exactly what they think is best.
I have done it in times where I wasn't sure if I should bring Winchester in or not.
Also just take a deep breath, everything will be okay. He is showing some signs of recovering, that's a huge step.
If your vet says to absolutely bring him in then tell your parents just that, tell them that it's either the 80$ or however much a walk in costs or it's your dogs life.
But your vet may think it's normal and he is just recovering.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My parents think it's just a scam to make more money, and that he's fine. I'm really scared if he might've eaten something, and it's stuck in there, and they won't do anything about it. I'm also afraid if the only reason he may've stopped diarrhea and vomiting bile is because of the pills he's taking. The pill is an antibiotic, and it prevents diarrhea.

It's really killing me not knowing what's wrong. My parents refuse to take him back in to find out. I just don't think it's normal that he still lays around… He lays on his side too, most of the time, and not sitting up. It's also abnormal of him to go in his cage during the day to lie down on his side. I'm also worried about how little he drinks, even though he does drink through his food, and I guess he must be a little on his own because his pee seems normal. I watched him urinate, and I'm not sure if it seems a little dark or not.

My siblings have him on a little walk now… I just really wish they'd bring him back in and let them find out what it is. It's really having me anxious. I wish they'd take me seriously and not just dismiss me as being paranoid.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Not to scare you, but I just wanted to empathize. When I was 18 coming home from university, I told my Dad and step-mom that, my step-mom's Schnauzer, Nala, was sick and not herself. They dismissed me, and told me she's like that all the time. Two days later they had to bring her to the vet, and found out she had extensive cancer, and had to put her down. She was pretty old though, so don't panic. I'm just saying I have been in your shoes. Its too bad that some parents cannot accept that their kids might know a thing or two.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Sometimes dogs on a chicken and rice diet poop very little.

My Bear poops two huge piles a day. But on boiled chicken and rice, he only has little rabbit turds once a day because his body is able to absorb or better process it. And if he's been having diarrhea, his digestive track might be empty and it takes a while to get enough material to cause a bowel movement.

He might also be constipated.

I imagine after 5 days if there was an obstruction, secondary signs would show up. Like stomach area being sensitive to touch/palpitation.

·
Fly free, my sweetheart
752 Posts
If you can, have your vet check for pancreatitis. That would require a blood test, but maybe you can work out a payment plan or trade off in helping out at the vet clinic -- just a thought. Pancreatitis is quite painful, but can be treated with meds. It can be a chronic condition, but very treatable with the right diet.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I think a call to the vet asap is a good way to go. They may want to talk to your parents though since they own the dog and pay the bills. In the call mention having brought the dog in 4 days ago, you're giving prescribed medication as directed but the dog hasn't pooped at all in the 4 days since being at the vet and is drinking little (or no?) water. You are concerned. What do they think?

Reactions: jennretz

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Call the vet

Hello, this is my first time posting here, and I'm quite nervous! My doggie, Shenanigan is about one and a half years old, two in October, we believe. On the Fourth of July, he threw up bile several times. Then, he crept into his cage, and would not show interest in a thing. He wouldn't eat anything, was very lethargic, and wouldn't drink. We took him into the emergency vet that day, and he perked up a little. He got excited at the other dogs there, but he had very watery diarrhea in the parking lot.

We then took him into the vet to be checked out. He lied there abnormally lethargically. (He's usually extremely playful and energetic! In a new place, he's crazy and out of control!) The vet felt around his body, and anus to check for anything stuck in his body-- like a toy or other foreign objects. He said nothing seemed off there. Then, my parents decided to get him the IV thing (I don't remember exactly what it's called, he had like a sac of water on the side of his body). He perked up a lot after that, but still was lethargic and crept into bed. The next day he was very, very energetic, just about his old self for awhile, and it was almost like a relapse at the same time as the day before! I was so upset, and we almost went back to the vet before he sprung up again when my aunt came over.

The vet gave him an anti-nausea medication, and also prescribed him metronidazole for a week, I believe. He's on a bland diet as well, only chicken and rice. His appetite has returned 100% to normal, thankfully! He ravenously devours his dinners, and if you get any food out he gets VERY excited. Sometimes he'll play around, but he gets tired of it more quickly. He still lies around a lot more than usual, and in his cage. It's not lethargy, I don't think, because he'll spring up when someone comes over, and he barks at strangers, and if you call him for a treat (which isn't given, of course, on the diet) he'll hop right up. But, he isn't marching around the house as normal.

He also hasn't pooped since the diarrhea! He has urinated, sometimes just a little bit. I'm very worried about how little he drinks! I tried buying pedialyte, but he doesn't do much but sip at that either! :( Yesterday, he kind of did a wet cough a few times, but I don't know if that has something to do with the pill going down dry after his food. His bark is a little bit scratchy at times, but mostly seems normal.

My parents don't want to bring him back in because they think he'll recover on his own with the medicine, and such. They just got the treatment, and didn't get any diagnostic tests or anything. We're on a tight budget, and my mom insists that we might as well get the treatments, if he gets better, who cares what it is!

He hasn't thrown up or got diarrhea since the Fourth, but he still is not himself, and lays around more than usual, and hasn't pooped! I'm eighteen, and don't have enough money to bring him back to the vet myself, and my parents just think I'm paranoid and being ridiculous. (I am a little paranoid, as when I was fourteen, we lost our golden, Shamrock, at age four very, very suddenly-- after she threw up, and then got VERY lethargic, and anorexic, but she, however, never got up once she went down, which eases me a little. But, I'm petrified of losing my Shenanigan! I love him a lot, and so does my little, nine-year-old sister, he was a Christmas present from "Santa" at our late Nana's request while she was passing away).

I really want to get him checked out, and run tests to see what the problem is to make sure it's not something chronic, and it'll just pass because I'm losing my mind in worry! Like I said, he's up and about, and eats his food normally, and gets excited when people come home, jumps on them, goes out for quick walks, and plays a little. But, he won't drink that much, and we have to mix it in with his food, and his energy isn't near normal, though it isn't completely static! I'm very worried, and the rest of my family just thinks I'm nuts. What do you guys think? It's been since Sunday, so four days. Is it normal for something like this to pass? I feel like it's taking SO LONG, but maybe it's because I'm so worried. I've been googling every little symptom, and jumping to the worst conclusions, crying about how goldens are prone to cancer and such. He's only 1.5! Do you think he'll be okay? :(
I agree with the person who said call the vet's office and tell them exactly what you told us and maybe they will speak to your parents. It sounds to me like he might have eaten or swallowed something that is blocking him. He needs an xray to make sure he didn't. Just the fact he isn't pooping for four days and isn't drinking much is cause for concern!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been researching this stuff, so I don't know if that's making me freak out more. It's just all of my Shenanigan's symptoms match everything! So every thing from mild to chronic match and it gives me a heart attack!

I was reading about pancreatitis, and it seemed to match his symptoms. It's not that we're absolutely broke, the emergency vet trip cost my family $300 for the treatment and checkin. It's also that my parents wouldn't let me take him. Even if I offered to pay with my part-time job money. They think I've gone off the wall with worry, and my mom even wants to take me to a shrink for paranoia/OCD.

About the obstruction, I don't think his stomach is sore to the touch, but sometimes it looks like it's "throbbing" a little. Sometimes, I think his breathing isn't perfect, but I've freaked out about this before months ago, and even my vet said that his breathing was okay: so that one, my parents might be right about.

My mom keeps telling me to calm down about him not pooping. She says that when you have diarrhea it takes awhile for your system to get back into the swing of things. He is only on chicken and rice. Today we gave him the kibbles a little because the vet said to ease him back into his regular food.

We were way too lenient spoiling him with people food. After this episode, we decided to knock it off. Only giving him stuff we're 100% sure is dog safe and only once in awhile. Dog treats and dog food are plenty for a dog to be healthy, and he begs like crazy. His appetite is amazing!! He's still being as naughty as ever about begging for food! Which, generally isn't good, but I'm just happy to see his appetite is 100%! :)

I also forgot to mention in my main post that he got sick less than twenty-four hours after taking his preventative heartworm meds. It's one of the generic brands. The symptoms for side effects match what the website and box say. But, he's been taking it for awhile now. It was his first dose from this new box, but the same prescription as always. We're scared to give it to him again, but we know preventing heartworm and all worms is so important! The vet tech seemed to really doubt this caused it as he didn't act like this before when recieving the pills, however, sometimes he would throwup after getting the pill, but not bile, and not nearly act like this! And, that was only once in awhile.

What I'm mostly concerned about is how he lays around on his side so much. He does get up and act totally normal. Today my siblings walked him around our block (which is like a mile), and he took a big drink! He peed a bunch of times to mark his territory as he usually does. (He isn't neutered.) He jumps around for food, will play if you "rile him up" enough. But, afterwards, he'll lay down immediately, usually on his side. I don't like it when he crawls in his cage or lays on his side. It worries me! My parents insist he's just recovering, but I hate not knowing what was wrong because I'm scared if it's a bigger issue, it will only progress, and he isn't getting the preemptive/early treatment he needs! I really hope it just passes… he does seem to be acting better. At the end of the week, if he's still not himself, I'm going to real have to try to insist, and put my foot down on bringing him in…

Thank you all so much for your helpful responses, by the way! Please keep Shenanigan in your prayers, and pray for him to get all the way better, please! Thank you all so much for this advice and for responding! I know you all love your pets as much as I do, and can empathize! :)

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Shenanigan

Praying for Shenaningan and I think you should call the vet and talk to them.
What kind of Heartworm Medication? he could have a reaction to it.
Heartworm Med is essential, but this one might not agree with him.

Reactions: MercyMom

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Usually when a dog lays on its side and it is uncommon for them to do so it means they are in pain in the stomach area.

I don't know how old you are but if you could take it to the vet on your own I would. I feel bad for you. It's better to be safe then sorry.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm eighteen, so technically I guess I could go on my own, but I really don't have that much money. I have like $300 in the bank from my part time job, maybe less. I wish I had more! I'd gladly fork it over to make sure he's okay! I really agree with better safe than sorry, but I just can't pay for it, and my parents are being stubborn! They think I'm insane, nothing's too wrong with him, and he'll get better on his own, and they'll have blown like $500 if he's fine.

He's on Tri-Heart Plus, I believe. I think it's the plus, but I'm not positive. We're scared of it now. He also might've eaten walnuts, he sniffed at them, but spit them out, so I don't know. I don't even know if that would be an issue. They were regular, CVS walnuts. I saw online that these Japanese ones were toxic, but normal ones seemed alright.

I don't know if he looks in pain on his side, but usually she lies more with his head on his arms like, you know? Sometimes he sleeps like that, but not all the time. He just seems really tired, and does it more than usual.

If I call the vet, my parents will just be like "of course the vet wants me in! the vet is a businessperson! S/he wants all the money s/he can get out of me, regardless of the dog's health!!!"

It's so frustrating. :(

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Some dogs just sleep on their side though. My Rundle sleeps like that all the time, and has there is no indication that she is in pain.
Jake and Chloe sleep on their sides also. I meant more if it was uncommon and they started doing it.

My mom tells me I freak out to much also.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Don't want to add to your worries but walnuts are among the human foods that are toxic for dogs. So another thing to mention to the vet if you really think he could have eaten some.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Maureen

Maureen: I'm sorry you are going through this. The decision is up to you.
I've heard of other people having troubles with Trifexis. Is that the med?
Walnuts? A call costs nothing.

I just googled walnuts. They say they can be TOXIC and cause obstruction.
Nuts Dangers to Dogs - Veterinary Pet Insurance

Certain types of nuts can cause toxic poisonings, an upset stomach or an obstruction in your dog's gastrointestinal tract which can lead to life-saving surgery and ..

https://www.petinsurance.com/healthzone/pet-articles/pet-health-toxins/Nut-Dangers-to-Dogs.aspx

Reactions: MercyMom
1 - 20 of 47 Posts