Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a english retiever who is a year and a half. The bones in his paws stick out and the vet xrayed saying he will eventually suffer from arthritis.However, when she moved them he showed no signs of pain. He does not lick or whimper, but he lags behind on walks and after the shortest walk will sleep all day. He never liked walking, but he use to at least keep pace with my other two. He is very mischievous and tries to get into everything so he definitely has energy for that and food. I'm wondering if this is a common breed thing or if I should take him again for arthritis. He is from that recherche academy place, and I'm not sure how great their breeding practices are. thanks for any insight!

·
Puddles
3,824 Posts
Have you had blood work done? Thyroid checked? Heart examined by a cardiologist? Did the parents, grandparents and relatives have all the clearances? Might get the hips/elbows & shoulders x-rays to see if the pup is just really uncomfortable. Goldens are famous for tolerating pain. Arthritis is not common in the breed at this age but improper structure can cause lots of discomfort.
These are the things I would check for 1st. I hope everything works out physically.

Edit #1 just checked their website... 22 dogs, what an operation! I don't know who your dogs sire/dam are but did look at the 1st dog they had listed. The site claims OFA clearances on heart (insufficient / done by a pet vet) and eyes (out of date) but no dogs listed on OFA with the AKC # they provided. If the dog was bred here why send hips/elbows to a registry (BVA) that's not in this country... unless they have something to hide. There is no way to validate that any information posted is accurate. So I'm withdrawing my question about clearances. Just do a work up on your pop and really hope all is well and it's simply a behavioral decision to not enjoy your walks.

Edit #2 I stand corrected... still think they should have OFA on hips & elbows so you know they were done after 24 months. But did find the eyes and inadequate heart under the irish registration number. Way too many dogs to check them all but not as bad as some EC breeders. I hope it's nothing serious.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
How old is he?

·
Super Moderator
947 Posts
We have a english retiever who is a year and a half. The bones in his paws stick out and the vet xrayed saying he will eventually suffer from arthritis.However, when she moved them he showed no signs of pain. He does not lick or whimper, but he lags behind on walks and after the shortest walk will sleep all day. He never liked walking, but he use to at least keep pace with my other two. He is very mischievous and tries to get into everything so he definitely has energy for that and food. I'm wondering if this is a common breed thing or if I should take him again for arthritis. He is from that recherche academy place, and I'm not sure how great their breeding practices are. thanks for any insight!
Who are his parents? I have friends with a Recherche golden...the same age as yours who has also had a slew of issues including very low stamina, missing teeth, GI problems, wide feet, structural issues and a few other things. Feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
have the vet do a 4 panel blood test for hypothyroidism. I just went through this with a field golden. At about the same age he started to run slower, retrieve slower, no energy, exercise intolerance. He was always sleeping. He was active the first 18 months. He then blew his undercoat and started to lose fur on his muzzle. I took him to the vet and she did the 4 panel blood test. He came back positive for Hypothyroidism. He is on thyroid medicine twice a day. On day 5 he started to get just a little perky. He's on day 14 and running around, not sleeping, playing. He'll be on these meds for life but its cheap. Hypothyroidism can cause a lot of problems including seizures, bacterial infections, etc. Try Nutro Essential Lamb and Rice. It has 3.5% linolineic acid in it for a beautiful coat. I have had 7 goldens over 40 years.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Who are his parents? I have friends with a Recherche golden...the same age as yours who has also had a slew of issues including very low stamina, missing teeth, GI problems, wide feet, structural issues and a few other things. Feel free to PM me.
My 2 year old English Creme which I posted a year ago was missing 4-5 adult molars and has 2 pulled for lack of root growth..Breeder falsified akc clearances..stay away from Mothers Farm School in Santa Fe...breeds at puppy mill rates. Completely blew me off when confronted..I worry about other congenital issues popping up...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts