Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we got cute little Max he was such a cute little puppy and when he licked you and rubbed his head all over you for love, it was so cute. Now, it's just plain gross at times!

Now I've already discovered through another thread that makes makes a mess drinking because his jowls are big. I had asked if he would at some point grow into his head - as he has a double chin, lots of groves in his forehead and when he shakes his head, his skin shakes too!!

The worst part of Monster Max is that when he eats and when he runs a lot and when he gets excited he gets this mucusy thing going - I swear it's snot as even when it's foamy snot, it dries like like boogers on clothes. Oh the horror of it all!! I'm thinking at this point of putting towels all over the house so we can wipe him down.

Is this a common golden trait? Is this a golden trait at all?? Do any of you deal with snot on a daily basis? I mean, drool would be 10 times better than this sticky gooey substance for sure!! I was thinking this would be a saint bernard problem, not a golden!! If your dog was snotty as a puppy - he didn't start this way, he grew into it - or is snotty as a grown up - please let me know! I am hoping that at least this part he will outgrow someday!!!

·
Registered
508 Posts
My boyfriend grew up with Saint Bernards and we had a golden for almost 14 years. Kevin would always say the Mitchell's Drool was worse than any of the Saint Bernards. It was exactly like you describe, foamy! I called it toxic drool because it doesn't really wash out very well! When we brought him places we would carry paper towels to wipe his face as needed but at home we would just use whatever we had handy. We loved him anyway..... Drool and all!!!!

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
If he has mucus/snot, then I would guess he has picked up kennel cough. Usually this is no big deal. If it's just drool, that's one thing, but if it is honest to god snot coming out of his nose, it's not normal. I wouldn't panic, though.

If it is frothy stuff it's just from being excited, and the blocky headed ones do it more in my experience! Holiday does it. And it does leave weird stuff on my clothes that looks like dried Elmer's Glue! HAHA and yes, that's normal! And no, he won't stop. LOL

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It never comes out of his nose, it all eminates from his mouth!! It won't stop? Are my hopes dashed? He has his daddy's head and his daddy did not have this issue! It's such a pain because when he plays with other dogs he slimes them! He can't play with his best pal Darby too much anymore because a playdate with Max equals a date with the tub for Darby! Oh the humanity!

·
Premium Member
18,641 Posts
Hand towels are your friend! If it's slime from his mouth, it's nasty but harmless.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Brady foams and drools, more so now that we live in the country. I think it is just from all the wonderful smells he is now smelling. Rarely does he do it in the house.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts