Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My agency provides Christmas gifts for children. This afternoon, after work, I was to meet a lady in a parking lot to transfer the bag of gifts from my car to hers. Brooks was in the back seat and the huge bag of gifts in a brightly colored Christmas bag was on the floor of the front passenger seat (but the bag was like 3 ft high).
The lady was supposed to come without her kids, but ended up coming with them. So since the kids weren't supposed to see the bag of toys, she suggested I go stand by the back window and talk to her kids while she moved the toy bag to the trunk of her car.
So I'm standing there talking to her kids and then I see Brooks running around the parking lot. HUH????
I look over and see the BACK door of my car is wide open!!! What?
Luckily Brooks runs to me (instead of into the street which we are standing right next to) and I grab him and put him back in the car.
I say to her, "How did he get out?"
She says, "Oh, I thought the presents were in the back seat"
Ummm, you can't look through the car window and see that is a DOG not a bag of toys? And why did you then leave the door wide open?
Really, I just don't get it.

·
Loving Flyball
1,626 Posts
I have found that you can't give people the benefit of the doubt when your dogs are concerned. People are idiots.
LOL!! Sounds like something I think about everyday!!

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I can't tell you how many times my dogs had escaped from my old house because people opened my back door instead of knocking and just stood there with the door open while my dogs ran down the street.

·
Premium Member
18,415 Posts
I'm glad it ended with Brooks safe. Lesson learned I guess, don't trust anyone with your things, car or dogs.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
How scary! I have to admit, I wouldn't let anyone open the door to my car with my dogs in it. I just don't trust anyone.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Yep people are morons. Like the people who would come into the side gate of my yard, comment on the fact that I had a dog, then leave...without closing the gate behind them. I had a pizza delivery guy do that once and Ranger took off down the street away from going full tilt. I'd only had him for a week so his recall was non-existent...he barely knew his name! Pizza guy, instead of helping, jumps in his car and drives off. Thanks dbag!! I ended up chasing after Ranger, barefoot in the rain, and I missed when Ranger took a left hand turn and started running towards an insanely busy street...I ran PAST the street he'd turned onto but luckily he saw me running PAST him, thought maybe he should find out where I was running to so fast, so he did a 180 and chased me down. I tackled him before he could take off and went home. Then I called the pizza place and reamed into them.

Sadly, even a note on the gate that said "CLOSE GATE!" did nothing. I hate people sometimes. Glad Brooks wasn't hurt! What a moron that lady was!!

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh the people who leave my house doors open just fry me too. And, this is after I say that I have pets so to please shut the door (they leave it open anyway, or almost but not quite close it)
I just wonder, so do they leave their own house doors open all the time?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Oh my Brooks!

:mad: I am usually very calm by nature, BUT if a gate/front door/back door/kennel/crate is left open accidentally, WATCH OUT! For example, DH went to the dump last week while I was in town and left the kennel gate and the double gates to the street open. When I returned from town, I couldn't find my Papillon, Piper. I yelled through the house twice then out to the street. Within 5 minutes, I had my dogsitter, who called the vet's office, on the lookout. Come to find out that Piper had been accidentally locked in the upstairs bedroom and had not made a peep when I called out.

I WAS FRANTIC and soooo relieved to find her. DH was chastised and a new self-locking butterfly (?) lock will be installed on the kennel gate this weekend. I am told that I am OCD over gates, because I lock them, then pull on the lock and say "Locked". I have worked for a handler and leaving a gate open is unforgiveable.

I am SO GLAD that Brooks returned to you safely.....dumb woman :doh:!

Attachments

·
Registered
13,077 Posts
:no:

Seriously. What is with some people?

·
Registered
200 Posts
It's so dissappointing that you cannot rely on people to utilize their brains. Thank god this situation didn't end up in heart break. I hope you praised brooks for come straight to you!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts