Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all,

i was hoping for some advise if anyone would like to share ... i'd be grateful to hear everything !

my 9 month old puppy (well ... giant puppy) has gained lots of confidence over the past few months and when he was younger (and smaller) he was a good boy and wouldn't run off at the beach ... it's an off leash beach that the dogs LOVE it !!! he would say hello to other dogs, stiff butts and come back to us ...

on the weekend i took them down and took his leash off and he just BOLTED down the beach !!!! of course he didn't listen to a word i yelled and had the biggest run of his life, sniffing a stick along the way, sniffing some other smell then i finally got to him after hoofing it and used a deep growl type voice going 'grrrr' and then dragged him back up the beach ... he didn't really seem fussed about my anger ... am thinking maybe i wasn't very angry ??

the following day he was good, hanging out, fetching sticks, stealing the fetched sticks off the big dog and then he saw another dog running along and ran off after it .... i ran after him and finally got him ... he was sitting in front of a fisherman hoping he would give him some food ... sitting patiently like the worlds most well mannered dog !!!! ha !

so ... i have some work to do ... and not too sure how to go about it ... i was thinking maybe taking a long lunge line and walking him with that and call him and if he doesn't come when called , yank him with it and as he is coming back praise him like mad ??? and at least this way he won't have the option to keep running off ...

we go to dog training but i haven't been for a month now as i've had other commitments on ... he is pretty good and trainiable ... so far ... he stays, sits, drops, stands, recalls etc. etc. .. but the beach is just SOOO much fun for him !!! i'm thinking his attention span isnt so great ...

after the second escape act i made sure after i did some sit/stays with him ... not walking very far and called him back to me .. only a short distance then praising him ...

i want to tackle this now because a now passed golden i had, Jack was SO naughty and you basically couldn't let him out of ANYWHERE without a lead as he would just run and run and run ... ironically at the beach he was actually really good and obedient but at the farm and anywhere else he was shocking ... and i knów i'm part to blame ...

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
9 months is just a baby and he has a ways to go before you can rely on a recall.

Keep practicing on a long line and use high value rewards, multiple rewards. Kirby has a great recall, but I would never let her off lead in an area that isn't contained. If she sees a squirrel - game over!

Darby would knock me over doing in class recalls (94 lbs has some impact too). Now he does a gorgeous front sit on a recall, in class and when he feels like it. He will run the minute he is loose so he is never off lead accept in a fenced area, he even swims on lead.

If I ever get a reliable recall I will let you know what I did. Good-luck and don't rush it, keep him safe is what matters.

·
Kate
21,663 Posts
^ Seconds above.

But mainly, keep your dog on leash (long line if you want to give him the option to drag the leash vs you holding on all time) until you know beyond the slightest doubt that if you take that leash off he will be responsive to your commands.

Each time he gets away and has some fun - even if it means punishment afterwards when you catch him - reinforces that running away behavior.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
You could also try training him to a dog whistle - start off in the home/garden where things are not so distracting for him and then in conjunction with a long line, lots of yummy treats - something that he really loves but may not always get - and plenty of excited praise will hopefully put him in the right direction

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Someone once told me 10 highly rewarded recalls each and every day for the first 2 years...and 9 a day for the next 2... :)

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Carry a pocket full of really yummy treats and practice recall frequently when you're outdoors with him. I have some special recall-only treats I use.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Someone once told me 10 highly rewarded recalls each and every day for the first 2 years...and 9 a day for the next 2... :)
i like this one ! if only i had the dicipline and time to do that each and every day !! i might add it onto my new years resolutions list ...

thanks all for those words of advice - i keep telling myself that he is still a youngen ...

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
another bit of advice is to reward for a good 20 seconds...I catch myself singing the alphabet to the dogs while petting/praising/playing tug etc...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts