Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our local news did a story on flea and tick protection in Michigan. The vets in the story all recommended flea and tick preventative every month, year round.

Really?

·
Kate
21,679 Posts
They do that. :)

My vet gives me the lecture while pushing me to buy pills in bulk and switch to a flea and tick preventative.

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and assuming they give that lecture because people do board their dogs or leave their dogs outside, or live in swampier areas than I do. And in which case, I do agree that some dogs need to be covered year round.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Yep. Heartworm preventive usually do more than just heartworm. Intestinal parasites can be an issue in the months when heartworm isn't. And if your dog is ever around other dogs-the groomer, the boarder, the vet-there is a definite risk of fleas. Everyone has to decide what they are willing to risk.

Reactions: Titan1 and rhondas

·
Registered
926 Posts
I give Interceptor year round for the reasons IowaGold states. I also use Frontline Plus year round for the reason stated plus the fact that we track (and there were still ticks this week) and do field work.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, I see now...good points. I figured, in my usual cynical way, that is was just a ploy for them to sell more stuff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts