Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting so tired of folks coming here with the sole intent of harming someone elses reputation. Maybe I am the only one... but this is the second time in a week that I have read a post that seems intent on damaging someones reputation, under the cover of here is a warning to you all... but then when you read into it you realize it is just sour grapes on someones part.

Maybe its just me but this is starting to make me really cranky. It could be any one of us on the receiving end of that... I know it could be me... shoot I had a puppy who tore a cruciate... the woman who has the pup was livid and blamed my breeding program. The fact that the puppy was chasing horses and jumping fences at 8 mos old never entered her mind and I am sure that if she posted on a forum such as this,to complain about how horrible I am, that would never be mentioned.

There are two sides to every story and honestly this is starting to really get on my nerves.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
I know what you mean. In general, if people want to vent or educate and are open about their goal, I don't mind so much because I can read it and ignore it as I choose. But I've felt lately that there are people coming on to post with hidden agendas, to do some damage to someone's or some company's reputation, but aren't upfront about it and that really grates on me. I'm sorry to see it, because I don't want to be mistrustful of the information and posters here.... :(

·
Premium Member
17,923 Posts
I'm sorry it bothers you so much. I can understand, my first thought on the latest one was there were so many things that could contribute to that story.

I just wanted to ask though, and I'm honestly curious not trying to start an argument, but if someone has a real experience, and it's negative, do you think they should keep it to themselves? What if sharing their experience could save someone else heartache or suffering for them or their dogs?

·
Golden Lover
939 Posts
It all goes back to, take a grain of salt with everything you read, regardless if it is on this site, or a newspaper, or the internet.

And some ppl just complain to complain.
I for one, don't buy into everything I read. :no:

·
Kate
20,582 Posts
I just wanted to ask though, and I'm honestly curious not trying to start an argument, but if someone has a real experience, and it's negative, do you think they should keep it to themselves? What if sharing their experience could save someone else heartache or suffering for them or their dogs?
I semi agree with this, even though I do think I've seen plenty of comments or threads where I thought balance was needed. We all have our own opinions or personal experiences which color our perception of events or stories.

I didn't seen the thread referred to here, but there have been others.

·
Premium Member
17,923 Posts
I semi agree with this, even though I do think I've seen plenty of comments or threads where I thought balance was needed. We all have our own opinions or personal experiences which color our perception of events or stories.

I didn't seen the thread referred to here, but there have been others.
Just clarify, you agree with what specifically?

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I'm more suspicious when it's someone who joins the forum and it is their first post. I tend to place more faith and trust in members who've been around more and posted enough so I can form a general opinion of their credibility and motives.

Is it me, or do more controversial posts seem to happen around the full moon?

·
Kate
20,582 Posts
Just clarify, you agree with what specifically?
I agree that if somebody has had a negative experience with somebody or something, they should speak up.

The only difference is I do recognize that sometimes there are things said or threads started or discussions where somebody (old or new members) has an axe to grind or... well, people are not seeing the whole picture.

·
Premium Member
17,923 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. I agree there is always two sides, or actually three, yours, theirs, and the truth or actual facts.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For me it is honestly that first time person ... the one wiht no other posts or few other posts who comes here and their first post is their gripe... with names with their one side of the story ... nobody knows them... they came here with the sole purpose of harming someone... are they right or wrong who knows... we dont know them but they sought us out just to continue slamming the person they are slamming with no balance... and that is damaging..

if its a person who is a member already or we know then fine I get that... but when its your first post it just rubs me the wrong way and stinks of malice to me

·
Premium Member
17,923 Posts
But there are a large number of people who find this board because they are looking for help, and their first post is about a problem due to that.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
but these posts I am talking about aren't looking for help...they aren't coming saying this is the situation what would you do ... or what should I do... or are there any experiences... I have no issue with those ...

these are the posts that come solely to tell us their side of a story and give us a "warning" or profess to wanting to spread the word... thats not looking for help... that is simply trying to harm someones reputation ... and maybe they deserve it... who knows... but it is troublesome...shoot they aren't even answering someones question... if someone said hey have you ever dealt with so and so and they had a bad experience no problem... they are answering the question...

for me it is the first time poster who is just intent on smearing someone... very specific

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
but these posts I am talking about aren't looking for help...they aren't coming saying this is the situation what would you do ... or what should I do... or are there any experiences... I have no issue with those ...

these are the posts that come solely to tell us their side of a story and give us a "warning" or profess to wanting to spread the word... thats not looking for help... that is simply trying to harm someones reputation ... and maybe they deserve it... who knows... but it is troublesome...shoot they aren't even answering someones question... if someone said hey have you ever dealt with so and so and they had a bad experience no problem... they are answering the question...

for me it is the first time poster who is just intent on smearing someone... very specific
I thought perhaps one of the forum rules might cover this situation, but none of them really fit it. There is a rule against character assassination, but it isn't clear if it applies to only other members or the public in general, such as a random breeder or a veterinarian who may not be a forum member. Maybe you could suggest to the Mods that they clarify this rule to include naming specific names of businesses or breeders, forum members or not, in the character assassination rule. Of course, that will most likely result in the immediate closure of a good number of choosing a breeder threads.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I agree with you, when I read a negative post, I tend to see it as one person's point of view. I don't know the other side. However, I am extremely grateful to some posters who have warned me, and once I investigated further, I knew the information to be accurate.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
I'm all in favor of warnings based on someone's personal experience. We all experience the world differently and I'm able to take that into consideration. What frosts me is when people present info as factual when it's opinion. Like Joe Friday said, "Just the facts, ma'am." a few times Ive pointedly asked for the basis for claims, etc., and only once did I get a response. I do take everything I read with a grain of salt (I'm not cynical, but I do work to see as many points of view before making up my mind). And I do have more faith in the regular posters who seem to be here to learn, share and inquire. As a p.r. Professional who believes strongly in the PRSA code of ethics, I find it appalling when people hide their agendas and secretly promote or denigrate other people or their products. It's just wrong. I'll get off my soap box now. ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Regarding the breeder posts:
We picked out and paid for our dog before I found this website. Once I did find it, I looked around a bit and found that our breeder was one which several people warned against. I felt a little guilty for buying a dog without knowing what to look for.
When I was reading the posts, I had no problem with the ones that said X is not someone to buy from because she doesn't do proper clearances. I *do* have a problem with the posts that attack her personally and made comments about her having/not having money and being better off for not having to deal with her. I felt those comments were just personal digs rather than helpful and informative.

I personally believe that while ignorance isn't an excuse, you can only DO better when you KNOW better.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
But how do you know,for sure they are coming here, for a agenda? If your new here, and have something bad that has happened, why should you have to go through all this ,doubting their story, some are very tough on here, can't we just decide ourselfs,if we buy into their story?
I think we are all somewhat jaded by past experiences here with the way certain threads seem to always go, but perhaps we could just restrain ourselves from immediately going for the OP's jugular, until the full story out. A lot of times these posters are really hurting because of the loss or serious injury of their dog. Let's face it, it is easier to blame others for your loss, than yourself. Of course these threads will be one sided. We need to be sympathetic, but at the same time ask thoughtful questions. We have some incredibly knowledgeable people here, we can certainly weed out the needy from the greedy with a well groomed series questions. I just hate us being seen as uncaring, when we are certainly anything but that.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts