Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
& Murphy's Mom too!
Joined
·
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we just got back from picking up dinner and DH notices that Libby got something while we were gone. Well he left half of his Orbit pack on the counter and she ate the entire thing. He started to get upset with her but now he realizes that it was his fault. I have been telling him for more than a year to keep his gum out of her reach. . . So we called the ER vet provided by Homeagain and they reccomended either feeding her every two hours or to induce vomiting and hope that it comes up. We decided to try feeding her every two hours and keeping an eye on her. They also said that we will need to bring her in to the vet to get checked out tomorrow. Which is more money we DON'T have right now :(

Anyone else have any experience or advice for this?? I am so upset with DH right now but its obvious that he is really upset about all this too. I'm just really worried ecspecially since the nearest ER vet is 30 minutes away.
 

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
Joined
·
8,164 Posts
I get information each day from this site...I got this the other day...thought you would like to read it. I hope Libby is doing ok...... Amy

Is chewing gum toxic to dogs? The answer is yes - some of it is! It is actually the sweetener in some chewing gum products that can be toxic. The toxic ingredient is called xylitol. Many pet owners have no idea about this, so I wanted to make sure all my Petplace subscribers knew about this.

I first found out about this several years ago when a dog got into the owners purse and ate some different vitamins and medications. There were several different pills with complex combinations of minerals, herbs and as well as some heart medications. We were not sure if this particular mix of ingredients was toxic.

The owner thought the dog was acting a little funny so she was on her way to the clinic. In the mean time, we called poison control that handles tons of toxic calls about dogs and I asked about that drug combination and their best recommendation for treating the dog. Luckily, it ended up the medications were under the toxic level but in the mean time, the toxicologist asked if was there any chewing gum in the purse....

I put them on hold - and called the owner - and they said yes - there was. She had sugar-free gum in her purse. Some sugar free gum contains an ingredient that can be toxic to dogs - an ingredient called Xylitol.

When the owner arrived - the dog was indeed acting a little lethargic. We checked his blood sugar and it was low. This is a common side effect from the xylitol. I had never heard of this before that phone call. Apparently - they had seen only 1 or 2 cases at the time when I happened to call and were on the lookout. We were fortunate to know and be able to help the dog. That was several years ago.

The dog did fine. However, since that time, they have documented several cases and also found that xylitol cannot only cause a temporary low blood sugar but it can cause liver problems.

"Xylitol" is commonly found in sugar-free gum, candies and some baked goods. It seems some pets are more sensitive to it than others. The exact amount that needs to be ingested to cause problems is still being determined. Signs can develop quickly. So yes, something as simple as your dog eating a piece of your gum can create and emergencies that can cost hundreds of dollars in vet bills.

Many of you have told me that you have the perception that pet insurance may be too expensive for you. Please do not make assumptions, but get the facts. I encourage you to take a minute to educate yourself about pet insurance, understand the costs and learn how it can save you money and give you peace of mind, that you can afford to provide the best medical care for your dog in case of emergency ( dogs are way too curious and are always getting into things).

So take a few minutes to get the facts about pet insurance and to get a personalized price quote Go to: petinsurance.com

Finally, it is best not to feed your dog anything but dog food. If you must feed a human treat - try to avoid all treats with artificial sweeteners. If you want to give your dog a treat - stick with dog treats!

Until next time,

Dr. Jon
 

·
& Murphy's Mom too!
Joined
·
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. We just called the ER vet just to be safe and they want us to bring her in. Looks like its time to take a trip.
 

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
Joined
·
8,164 Posts
Please let us know how things go...good thoughts coming your way!
 

·
In the Moment
Joined
·
20,515 Posts
I'm so glad you're taking her in. Just recently there have been some articles about the seriousness of zylitol ingestion in dogs. Much better to be safe than sorry. Hope she'll be fine.... please keep us posted. And keep that gum up and away. I've made my DH keep his in his car.
 

·
& Murphy's Mom too!
Joined
·
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We took Libby in and she is doing fine but she is spending the night. They would really like to keep her 24 hours but we just can't do it financially so tomorrow we will be picking her up before 8 and then we will take her to our vet for her morning bloodwork. And hopefully if things are ok tonight and then in the morning we should be ok--- My Dad is a lifesaver right now. This week was the first week we actually had extra money (ie $50) and it felt good to be ahead, even if it was a little bit. And had this upcoming week not been a rent week we would have been a little more comfortable with the funds but we just couldn't do it :( My Dad is usually in the group of "it's just an animal." But he loves Libby like a grandchild and he gave me the "just an animal" speech but then called back and said he called around on his credit cards and found one to help us out. Otherwise we were going to have to take her home and feed her every two hours and then bring her to our vet in the morning for bloodwork. But my dad insisted she stay overnight since we live 30 minutes from the vet. THey were really nice though and tried their hardest to cut the costs for us. They managed to cut about 50 off which helped.

We are now waiting on the results of tonights bloodwork but when we went to go drop some food off for her, they said she was laying down and being a good girl and that we could call at any time we wanted to check on her.

I will keep you all posted. Please keep your fingers crossed that everything goes ok tonight and tomorrow. My DH is just so broken up about all this. All I have to say is this was one expensive pack of gum :( And a few months ago, DH left his ATM/Debit card in an ATM machine at a large hospital-- and now he'll never make that mistake again. I can assure you that this will be the same way-- Thanks for the good thoughts. They are really appreciated!
 

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
Joined
·
8,164 Posts
Oh.. my prayers are with you and Libby....Please let us know how everything is going. Poor baby.....
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top