Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 417 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, My 3 year old Golden is pregnant due to an accidental mating.

She is currently 51 days pregnant and on Day 48 we took her into the vet's office for her checkup/Xray. We were assuming the worst, that we would have a big litter due to the small stature of my neighbors Scottie who is the accidental father.

However, to our surprise, he said he only saw one maybe two puppies. This wasn't our normal vet we saw since we went in on Saturday and I was a little wary to trust him. He was standoffish and did not seem to like me asking questions. So I thought I would reach out here to more experienced owners to see if you guys would have some insight on a couple of things until we go back to see our regular vet.

1.) He only took one xray from the side and not a top down one. I asked him if he would take a top down view and he said it would cost extra so I turned it down. Is it possible that there might be a couple of puppies hiding behind the two he showed me? Could he have been wrong?

2.) One of the puppies was really bright and easy to see. The other was dim and harder to make out. Does this mean anything?

Ii'm 100% sure of the mating day, unfortunately I found them together (tied) on the day he tunneled into my yard.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Can you post the X-ray photo? 48 days is a little early for a puppy count X-ray. The puppies don't show up until their bones have calcified. Also, you only have an estimated due date. You don't know what day she ovulated unless you ran progesterone testing so don't panic if she's not as far along as you think.

·
Registered
9,495 Posts
They usually take them on the side or lying on their back.
It'd be hard to splay out a girl to take a top down one!

She probably isn't due quite yet- you probably got an early radiograph. If you post it, it should be obvious whether they are early or not. As Archers Mom said, typically puppy count rads aren't taken until at least 56-58 days from ovulation.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I only know what day she tied, not ovulation of course. This was a big accident. But he did say the one puppy was "good sized" and right for how far along we though she was ( 6weeks, 5 days). But at one point, I tried to ask a question and he shushed me. I was kind of upset and put off when he did that so unfortunately I forget to snap a photo of the xray.

All I can do is describe it. It was a side xray with one very bright, clearly defined puppy skeleton and what he said appeared to be another just above it but the second skeleton was much fainter. I just did not get to ask him what that meant. Is it normal for them to be differing levels of calcified at that point?

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bet lol.

I think it was too early as well, we brought her in when they told us too but I went home and researched myself after and I very much wished we would have waited another week. I'm trying to learn everything I can but I have never done anything like this before.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,602 Posts
You're lucky that even one of them would show up on the Xray this early. I would suspect she's carrying more.

·
Project Redhead
762 Posts
I know nothing of this, but Id love to see what happens when you mix a Scottie and a Golden. Google didn?t bring up much.

·
Registered
9,495 Posts
I think it is day 43 that they start to calcify but certainly you couldn't get a good count that early.
I don't know but doubt they calcify differently fetus to fetus. I wait till the week before whelp to do one if I do one (which I only do if I suspect there is only one or two- bitches sometimes won't go in labor in that case and if they do, puppies are so much larger than norm that they might have a problem delivering). The issue of '1 or 2' is one you need to know if you are dealing with- are there any repro vets where you live? I'm thinking to re-take the rads when you believe she is closer to whelp, someone who can tell you if the puppies are going to be able to whelp easily, and how many there are as well as send you home w a little oxytocin to give her when she's done. And take a pic! I love to count babies...

·
Registered
9,495 Posts
BTW- don't be tempted to up her calcium intake. It would be problematic come whelp time. Once she starts whelping, then give her ice cream or tums or some high ca+ thing between puppies.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That makes me feel better. I do not want a huge litter seeing as I only have 4 families for adoption lined up so far (all screened, yay!) but I have heard too many stories about problems that come with labor and having only one or two.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No it does not, I have looked extensively lol.

I have asked her many times why she could not have chosen a lovely husky or lab instead of that little bugger but she does not understand my distress. Ha!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will look. Thank you. I think I need a new vet anyway, I liked the vet we usually see okay but did not like the new guy AT ALL.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I won't, thank you!

I have vanilla ice cream in the fridge for labor if needed and I bought some calcium chewables for after delivery. Is that right?

Delivery tips are welcome too!

·
Registered
9,495 Posts
Good for you- but really, my big concern would be if she truly only has one puppy- she might not go in labor.
I really would go get a re-count.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am keeping a close eye on her 24/7. If I see any signs that she needs assistance, I planned to take her immediately. I check her over good twice a day to make sure there is no discharge.

I had not yet considered taking her back for another xray. I was not sure if it was safe to do it again.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Googling the pairing I find a scolden terrier is what they are called. The one pic i saw was a beautiful dog.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I saw those. I wish I could find more but I think it will be an interesting surprise to see what they look like. I hope to have at least one that isn't black but I have heard black coats are dominant.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Does the father at least have good genes LOL. You also are scaring me, I'm letting my girl go into one heat cycle for growth reasons and I will be watching her like a hawk. She will be either in a leash or in the crate. Sounds mean but I do not want any puppies or any messes.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't know honestly. By the time we confirmed the pregnancy, I went over (they were behind us, not next to us) to talk to them at least, and they had moved.

We have a chain link fence and then a wooden fence inside it as well that goes around our entire backyard. Em is almost three and we have managed to keep them away from her so far. But one night, I let her out before bed (doggy door) and when she did not come in at her usual 10-15 minute mark I went out and found them tied together. I cried pretty hard, I am ashamed to say. I just felt so dang bad. I was incredibly unprepared and I should have been.

Once they separated, I picked him up to see if he was "intact". He was of course. Then I let him lead me back to his tunnel he had built through our hedges and under both fences. My husband filled it with dirt and rocks the next day and he did not get back in after that.

My best advice? If she is intact, it requires CONSTANT vigilance, stay with her at all times if she is in heat and out of the house. It can happen in a blink of an eye.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My husband and I went round and round a bit about doing an emergency spay but we chose not to in the end for several reasons.

1 - 20 of 417 Posts