Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
You said you clipped and shaved the area. How do you do that with the skin so inflamed? I would be so afraid I'd hurt him.
The inflamed parts already had no hair on them. I just did everything around it.

·
Premium Member
17,931 Posts
You need to keep it dry, spraying or patting with Listerine is good because it cleans and then dries quickly. I would not put any salve ointment or baby oil on it because that will keep it moist, which is how it spreads. And you really have to keep her from scratching it.

If you have antibiotics I would give them to her, hot spots that big are infections and need the antibiotic.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
our 10.5 y/o lab got her very lst hot spot after 4 weeks on TOTW...don't know if it was just a coincidence, but kinda scared me from the brand. shaved, cortizone shot, cone

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
You originally asked if you should go to the vet and IMO you should go to the vet for assessment and treatment before the hot spot gets out of control. While there, you can talk to the vet about thyroid testing. My Toby's only hot spots came right before he was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. It may not be the food but just changing hormone levels with the thyroid gland.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I'm late to this thread and hope your doggie is feeling better. My Maggie (RIP) got hot spots frequently. Sometimes if I caught them right away I could deal with it myself but usually an antibiotic shot plus a shot for itching was needed. Looks like the spot has scabbed over (in the bottom pic) so you've probably stopped the spread.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
It's definitely scabbing over. And she didn't bother it again last night. I did notice my other dog licking it, so they're separated today while I'm at work. I used the Listerine full strength without baby oil in a spray bottle. Seemed to help it. Now it just looks scabby and gross.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I use diluted (50/50) brown Listerine with water as a day to day grooming spray. The Listerine acts as a disinfectant while making the dog smell nice!

If I see any indication of a skin issue erupting, I mix gold bond powder & Listerine into a thick paste & apply to the infected area. If the situation continues to get worse, I'd definitely see a vet and that's why I have pet insurance!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
UPDATE: The spots are healing really well, all scabbed over, and the surrounding skin is no longer red, but just regular skin colored, and she has not bothered or even touched it since I started with the Listerine. I have had to keep her separated from my lab because Sage insists on licking it, so when I'm not home, they're apart. So not worried about that. Benedryl and Listerine has been the treatment and it has worked like a charm and I never even started her on the antibiotics. BUT, she is now breaking out on her belly, the underside, where theres no hair, down in the crotch area. Not anything like the original picture, just a very fine redness all over. This has started since I switched her to the Proplan Sensitive. Washed it and sprayed with listerine this morning. Ugh, if it's not one thing, it's another. At this point I really am leaning towards it was something they used at the groomer. But I'm hesitant to give her a bath in case it just starts all the itching all over again. I've gone over everything in my head, and I haven't bought new laundry detergent, put anything on the carpets, nothing. The only factors are new food, and going to the groomer, but she's been on new food before, and she's been groomed her entire life. I'm going to call the groomer now and see what they used.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
How are things?

We had a horrible season for fleas...Tailer had a red belly when he had fleas biting him...finally got those under control with a liquid product made of vinegar and garlic...suppose to mix it in their water...Tailer would wait to go outside to drink from his pool! So, I put it on his food with olive oil and also went to 3 weeks per dose of Advantix...finally got them this time...

What food are you using now?

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
It has been a bad year for fleas. Personally, I would not only use antibiotics, but prednisone as well.. you need to break the cycle....

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Food allergies are extremely uncommon and typically take 2-3 months to determine after dogs have been fed an exclusive hypoallergenic diet....

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Just checking in, hope things are clearing up.
Lance had a hot spot on his cheek this summer and we tried it all, listerine, gold bond, finally I broke out the NU STOCK and put that on, he left it alone and was getting smaller, but you know, I was torn about taking him to the dog swim with that spot, and after he had gone, I re-coated with NU STOCK once,and the spot cleared up completely in about a day.
I would say we battled it about a month.
Hope your baby is better.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Yup, she's doing fine, all healed up, just waiting for her hair to grow back. I did end up taking her to the vet, who gave me, steroid spray, antibiotics, medicated shampoo, and I already had prednisone so she told me to continue with that. I have not touched the shampoo or the spray. I'm pretty sure that the prednisone and the antibiotics did just fine. She also told me not to use the Listerine, but that honestly worked better than anything, so I will continue to keep it around.

·
Registered
16,394 Posts
Gen One spray and oral Temeril P is the way I go with hotspots, and right away. If they are bad or if it is a show dog who cannot be shaved, add Simplecif antibiotic. My dogs have only had a few in about 25 years, but I still dread that look and smell.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts