Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
101 - 120 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
Brady Aedan Finch and Wren
13,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Very hot again today, so we had brief intro to wobble board work using the square rocker board inside on the DR (ceramic) tile. She was not so sure of either the motion or the sound of the board hitting the tile but she did it :) She has not connected that she controls the rocking or bang but I have no doubt she will.

I then worked Aedan on the same board with food toss resets and the bang a few feet away from where she was crated so she could watch the game of tippy bangs.

Wren did lose that damaged canine tooth so hopefully the adult one will grow in nice & strong.

Mama Finch got her stitches removed yesterday so Wren is once again allowed playtime with mama in addition to Brady & Aedan.

·
Registered
13,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Class on Wed was interesting - Wren is rapidly changing at this point -- her parts don't seem to communicate in a smooth manner so she really disliked a few of the obstacles she found enjoyable a few weeks ago.

Yesterday we had a rental where she primarily learned to tug and personal play with me after very brief training sessions - this will continue through much of her training. She also learned to let me 'sneak mud monster style' away from her while leaving her on a stay and carrying a toy -- she is doing great with this.

This morning I pulled out a book and reviewed some videos to put together a training plan to teach tuck up sits -- copied from my FB

So in order to logically step through teaching Wren a tuck up sit I need to
teach the sit with front feet not moving
which needs teaching a forward weight shift
which requires Zen hand
and nose target hand
and a platform with an edge
Why you ask? I simply don't like pulling up on her collar while man handling her butt end.
And since she is growing and at the step ladder stage (front end up, then rear end up rinse and repeat), I figure this will be an on-going process since her front end and rear end change day to day ...

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Class on Wed was interesting - Wren is rapidly changing at this point -- her parts don't seem to communicate in a smooth manner so she really disliked a few of the obstacles she found enjoyable a few weeks ago.

Yesterday we had a rental where she primarily learned to tug and personal play with me after very brief training sessions - this will continue through much of her training. She also learned to let me 'sneak mud monster style' away from her while leaving her on a stay and carrying a toy -- she is doing great with this.

This morning I pulled out a book and reviewed some videos to put together a training plan to teach tuck up sits -- copied from my FB

So in order to logically step through teaching Wren a tuck up sit I need to

Why you ask? I simply don't like pulling up on her collar while man handling her butt end.
And since she is growing and at the step ladder stage (front end up, then rear end up rinse and repeat), I figure this will be an on-going process since her front end and rear end change day to day ...
I have just used a narrow platform that only fit Logan's front paws. I like this more steps version you are talking about and in this post.

Training the Tucked Sit | Hannah Branigan – Wonderpups Training

·
Registered
13,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Love your response -- this is exactly the method I will be going for :) It looks like an excerpt LOL After that will be the teaching shifting her weight BACK, but shifting her weight forward is a more immediate concern I think to address those rock backs. Wren has a preferred rock back style, something I have actually never encountered before. Well perhaps in my GSD days but none of them were obedience or rally or agility dogs.

Wren is enough like her mama and especially her gramma (Towhee) that I need to 1) truly make her understand and 2) make sure she knows its her idea LOL She has Zen hand well underway, her nose target is getting really cute (she wrinkles up her nose when she will be 'punching' my hand :) ) and I do have a few straight edges platforms which will be my next step -- I mostly use aerobic steps for this but I have other platforms including agility tables etc -- Wondering if I should invest in a Cato board -- still undecided.

And since I spend time training collar grabs, I don't really want to dilute collar grab = good treat/game with collar grabs for negative things like a butt push. So overall, I am hopeful this method will result in great sits :)

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Love your response -- this is exactly the method I will be going for :) It looks like an excerpt LOL After that will be the teaching shifting her weight BACK, but shifting her weight forward is a more immediate concern I think to address those rock backs. Wren has a preferred rock back style, something I have actually never encountered before. Well perhaps in my GSD days but none of them were obedience or rally or agility dogs.

Wren is enough like her mama and especially her gramma (Towhee) that I need to 1) truly make her understand and 2) make sure she knows its her idea LOL She has Zen hand well underway, her nose target is getting really cute (she wrinkles up her nose when she will be 'punching' my hand :) ) and I do have a few straight edges platforms which will be my next step -- I mostly use aerobic steps for this but I have other platforms including agility tables etc -- Wondering if I should invest in a Cato board -- still undecided.

And since I spend time training collar grabs, I don't really want to dilute collar grab = good treat/game with collar grabs for negative things like a butt push. So overall, I am hopeful this method will result in great sits :)
I'm new to it all, so I enjoy reading posts here to learn.

·
Registered
13,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
At tonight's rental we progressed to a serious neck stretch with feet on the edge of the platform -- she did start pawing which I need to let extinguish, maybe I advanced too quickly or maybe she has just started upping her offered behaviors or who knows? maybe she thinks a paw touch is also being asked for...

We also progressed our sit/waits for recalls to about 10 feet out with my both backing to her to treat and my turning, and my turning to call with a toy tossed behind me. The shaping of the platform and stretching the neck/bracing her front end took awhile so we didn't work on much else other than playing & tugging & food chase games between sequences of platform work.

She is also learning patience while I work the & play with the other dogs -- she is paying attention to what we are doing now rather than circling/pacing and letting her displeasure at not being the chosen one known, so maybe some passive learning is occurring while she watches?

·
Registered
13,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Big, big night for Ms Wren last night.

I will preface it by saying it was unintentional but results were good! It has been hot & humid here. I was sick Tuesday, most likely a combination of the weather and a very greasy, but delicious, big cheeseburger I had on Monday...even the roll!

Anyway, yesterday I was exhausted enough that I skipped class and was asleep by 8pm. Oopsie Wren was free in my room with Finch & Aedan.
Severe thunderstorms woke us all up around 2, 2:30 and there she was to greet me bright & alert licking my hand as I massaged Aedan.

I did crate her after that but no messes, one shoe box with biking shoes slightly chewed up (no damage to the shoes) but that was all i could see that she got into...she is full on teething so she is always surrounded by a variety of chew toys, especially since Aedan always sees what she has and mama Finch will initiate tug games ...

Brady was in the living room as Aedan & Brady are kept separated as much as possible still.

·
Registered
13,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
And yesterday, at just shy of 20 weeks old, Wren weighed in at 40.3 pounds at her final puppy shot vet visit.

·
Registered
13,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 · (Edited)
This morning, as I headed out for our morning hikes, I spotted a package by the garage door.

My brand spanking new 36 inch diameter wobble board :) Newly purchased since my previous wobble board was just too small and I gave it away years ago -- hoping this helps address Wren's expected, but still disappointing (somehow I thought she might just never start reacting to shifting surfaces LOL), reluctance to have things under her feet move. Just about the right timing really, since almost all of my goldens have started preferring stable surfaces under their feet around 5 to 6 months ....

I do have other types of wobble boards but none are 360 degree wobble-able, but more like tippy planks.

I should be receiving my Cato board (yes, I bought one :) ) with a pivot thingee to work in conjunction with both my low teeter for teaching the teeter and for owning the bang! and a fronting/heeling position plank -- oh, position changes as well for her and the older dogs .

On today's hike, she held her sit stay beautifully as a couple with a dog walked by in the opposite direction!! Good girlie Wren Wren!

In other news, 2 of my Towhee's kids (Towhee -> Finch -> Wren) were entered in the NOC (ETA: 1 kid was scratched due to a Utility issue that happens to all of us, the other advanced to the next level for today (Sunday).... another kid would have been in the Rally event but for her handler's knee surgery.

·
Registered
13,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
So that was just CUTE!

Nails & Tails day. Older dogs are all good, Wren I have been working with.

Today, she let me do a full foot & reached down to grab a mouthful of kibble - still using kibble as a reward with the bowl near the grooming arm.. Next paw, she again helped herself to a mouthful of kibble and around we went.

She only helped herself to 1 mouthful and then raised her head and only after all nails were done. She is not (yet) lifting her next paw for trimming but she may just yet :)

Feet were all trimmed as well, as was her tail with a combout at the end -- good girl Wren. I am, still using the battery powered dremel with her rather than the corded one

·
Registered
13,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
We had another rental tonight and were joined by a friends and her goldens in the next ring, they were working on rally & some field while we worked primarily on beginnings -- all 4 dogs :)

Well Brady, Aedan & Finch all had some heeling signals, command discrimination but Wren joined us for

In & Outs around cones
Bucket work (Still a WIP for Ms wren as she does not yet pivot)
Recalls with the fronting platform (Wren used food tosses for resets): she really did well
Retrieve on Flats with fronting platform (Wren did full length retrieves with a plain wooden dumbbel but she has a gentle hold so may move on to a more formal dumbbell if her hold shows no signs of roughness :) )
Hand touches moving to hand punches
Setup beginning
Get-It, Get-It, Get-It come games
Circles, spins
Waiting for permission to exit the crates (she is getting there ! )
Hand touches may be important to her in the future beyond the usual -- she was only momentarily distracted by the bumper throws and joy in the next ring when my hand came down for her to boink; she wrinkles her nose to punch and it is really cute.

She was vocal when her mama was being worked and played with while tugging & such; hmmm may have to start giving her mouth something to do other than barking (like holding a toy? )

·
Registered
13,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
And Wren relaxing in her crate as I get up from a work meeting...that tail & foot crack me up.

2021-07-12-11-30-05.jpg

·
Registered
13,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Well l've signed up for Connie Cleveland's Obedience Road. Not sure how it will go but if I get pointers I can use, all will be good.

I am a decided non-force trainer, but I can modify as needed.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Well l've signed up for Connie Cleveland's Obedience Road. Not sure how it will go but if I get pointers I can use, all will be good.

I am a decided non-force trainer, but I can modify as needed.
I'm learning a lot from it as someone new to all of this. I just listen to each trainer I've decided to enlist (in person and online) and some things I think "that's too much for me" and others "that's just silly" and so on. One basic manners lady kept lobbing tennis balls at Logan and a different lady pulled out a battery operated cat that moved and meowed. lol

It's nice to find a trainer you agree with almost all of the time. My agility instructor is that way for me. As far as more forceful training is concerned, I like your idea about modification.

·
Registered
13,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
LOL I actually do use battery powered and/or motion activated toys at times, but as a more advanced proofing concept once I am 80% sure my dogs are ready for it. Which is more of a draw for my dog, a tossed tennis ball or the task at hand. What needs work? Back to kindergarten or party time?

I usually agree with FDSA instructors and my in person instructors know my style enough to not even suggest things like force ... it's just really not where I want to be with my dogs. BTW with FDSA, I usually do bronze and then review the course in its entirety so I can see beginning to end of each phase of teaching before I start applying it .. that way I have an endpoint in mind and don't get hung up if my dogs progresses faster than the course. I am hooked on Petra's courses and webinars right now.

Of course I realize I may never earn a 200 (I have come close) but I will also seriously reduce the risk of ruining a dog (yes, I did ruin a promising youngster by allowing, nay actually paying, a force based trainer teach force-fetch while I was sick and my dog was at the age where he should learn retrieve) and I honor my commitment to not using force unless it is a matter of safety and force is the only option. He is the dog who introduced me to agility since he so loved training but cringed and crawled, or flat out froze, even after years of work in a positive manner when that dumbbell was tossed in a ring, he became happy in agility and I remember crying while driving home from the show at the thought my Rowdy truly came to life again in a ring.

Tennis balls, those foam rolling pins (great when proofing Go Outs!) being tossed, squeaky toys under my feet while my dog is away from me etc are all fair game once I have that 80% buffer that my dog can or should be able to work through it :)

·
Registered
13,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Mike just emailed me to ask if Finch or Wren is entered in the SBGRC fun match so I gave Barb a call to talk :)

Results: i was planning on only bringing Aedan since i get 2 runs for judging and hey, i will be judging and helping out probably all day.

Well it was decided that Mike, Barb or someone else will take Wren into 3-6 month puppy conformation and I will take her into Perkiest Puppy. Perkiest Puppy is for pups under 6 months and involves a short heeling course with cones and a retrieve. So Wren is doing great on her retrieves in a quiet environment but I have not started heeling LOL this could be interesting :) okay I have started a bit of heeling in that I start her in heel position and reward for 1 step with eyes on me but that is it really. Oh well, I have a few weeks to at least work on loose lead walking since I have other foundation work before I start heel (examples: tuck sit, body awareness as her body grows, high hand touch, an understanding of where heel position is etc) but loose lead walking is a whole other set of cues :)

·
Registered
13,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 · (Edited)
LOLOLOL
So okay, I am working from home. It is raining and muggy yet again so please excuse the attire & WFH hair and of course the bending over

I took a quick video of Ms Wren at lunchtime kind of heeling while I am holding one of her follow along toys -- not bad for a pup who has no clue what 'heel' means LOL

101 - 120 of 130 Posts