Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
AACKKKK

Yes, she is surely a barker! When she wants out of the crate and to work -- or maybe she's just jealous of the other dogs getting attention?

We started chin rests, hand touches and she was introduced to some new recall games and even a step or 2 of 'heeling' using pocket hand -- she still does not totally get that she should watch my hand and follow it for food & toys tosses LOL

If she noticed the other dogs, she gave no indication :) She did greet my friend, not completely calmly but getting there :)

She strongly objected to the community crate I used when I first told her to kennel up -- probably the disinfectant I used since I use natural cleaners at home which generally have a light pleasant scent - the spay at the club is .. well chemically and strong even to human noses. Once in, she was fine.
I put Logan in a crate at the club last time we were there and it was a very well used crate (that's how I'll put it. lol) I asked if I could bring one and leave it there because I noticed they have shelves for crates. I was told I could bring one while we are taking a class for the duration of the class, so that's good since they ask we crate our dogs between turns.

Wren sounds like she is doing well. Logan loves touch!

·
Registered
Brady Aedan Finch and Wren
13,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
As I was writing in my Wren diary, I remembered that I also started her on a few cone games ... baby fly and what I call na-na-na where the hand in motion indicates left or right spins around the cone... let's just say more lessons planned :) maybe she is too young yet to understand hand motion, although her touch for coming in to me is going well to both sides (I use this in the yard a lot to play recall style games)

·
Registered
13,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 · (Edited)
I put Logan in a crate at the club last time we were there and it was a very well used crate (that's how I'll put it. lol) I asked if I could bring one and leave it there because I noticed they have shelves for crates. I was told I could bring one while we are taking a class for the duration of the class, so that's good since they ask we crate our dogs between turns.

Wren sounds like she is doing well. Logan loves touch!
Thanks! She is fun for sure.

Members at the club I was at last night often bring mats from home to line the communal crates with. It seems to work.

I have had mats chewed up though, so I just disinfect before letting my dogs go into the crates LOL

·
Registered
13,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Tonight is the first night of Wren's next set of classes, orientation night so no dogs. I am looking at possibilities for rally classes. I honestly cannot decide if I should spend the time needed to really teach the foundations (spin, touch, etc etc) or start with building chains toward what she will do as an adult.

For now, I will continue working on foundations...

Monday night was brutal, she woke me up every 2 hours for water and/or outings and/or just attention. We are in a heat wave and I use minimal A/C. She normally sleeps in the Dining Room since it has tile floors and is a quick run to the back door. Last night we tried her sleeping in my BR with 2 other dogs, she was crated while Brady and Finch were free. It worked out well. Of course it was a very quick sprint to the back door through the house this morning but we made it :) Brady & Finch were even able to get their morning snuggles in while she remained quiet in the crate before our day started with the sprint :)

Wren is starting to grab a toy when she is passing through or feels the need to mouth, which is a habit I highly encourage :) Way better than mouthing or nipping IMO. She will also come running to me offering up her toys for either toss-n-retrieve games or puppy style tug games (that is she tugs, I mostly pull and from my side it is relatively gentle yet). Outside she readily finds sticks for the same.

·
Registered
13,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
It's a tough life when your owner puts you in your crate after playing outside for almost an hour and coming in and having your fill of water... (please excuse the remnants of her digging fun yesterday, I have not yet cleaned it all up).

You just have to create your own games

·
Registered
13,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Lunchtime session was a huge 'YAY!!! You rocked it Wren' session!

Using backchaining, and while on leash so she took each individual step, she learned the front steps -- a full flight of open stairs leading to/from the deck. Up, down and turning around on the steps (will be useful if I decide to do agility)

·
Registered
13,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 · (Edited)
Wren was introduced to the pivot pot and the clicker tonight...also she is starting to follow food tosses for chasing games and resets :) I did end up luring her since she did not seem to be shaping the stepping onto the pot

·
Registered
13,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
And her introduction to the Get-It Get-It Get-It Come game -- she has had variations of this at home and in the parks using toys and bumpers, but this is her first time with food tosses.

·
Registered
13,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Ahead of schedule...but lil Wren may be attending an actual competition obedience class the next few weekends.

Mama Finch was spayed today so 14 days minimum with only gentle activity, mostly crate rest. Brady is heading to the vet next Thu (their earliest appt) for a thorough exam to see if his reluctance to do utility work is physical or some stress happening.

I DMd my instructor and asked if I should double up with Aedan or bring Wren although she is only starting some foundation games. She said it wouldn't be fair to Aedan to expect 2 back to back hour long classes and weather permitting, she thought Wren could attend the Novice class (I usually have Aedan in this class due to the emphasis on heeling, fronts & finishes plus he does get to do more advanced versions of many exercises).

So, Wren may be going to a big dog class for a few weeks :) she starts her 2nd puppy class tomorrow night.

·
Registered
13,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Wren weighed in at 36.4# at today's vet visit ... we joked she is almost as big as her mama (who was spayed there yesterday so they know Finch's size :) )

She did well, I was able to go in with her and she is a curious monkey for sure.

·
Registered
13,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
And.....ta-da..... I was able to go into the clinic with my mask on. First time in forever it feels like that I was able to walk beside one of my dogs at the vets (well except 2 euthanasia events but I could not walk beside either of them until the special room)

·
Registered
13,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Well, the vet was wrong. She mentioned I should not be concerned if Wren 'tired' or off after her shots today (final DHLPP plus a Lepto shot). Her gum has healed up so no more antibiotics are needed on that front.

After the vets, she was outside playing with Aedan, then Brady and her new Kings came in (she found a long unused Kong.. from King I think ... and played & played with it) so I ordered 2 different sizes for her. She and I played retrieve games both inside & outside. She is just in from a 2 hour hike with Paul and had plenty of energy to let me know exactly what she thought of being washed in the kitchen sink :) She is now grumbling in her crate with a few toys - I put her in there with the hope that she would rest up a bit since she has her class at 8 (currently 6:15) and well, I was concerned she might actually be tired ...

The class should be interesting since this is the class that is geared toward 5.5 months and up ... she is doing well .. all the big dogs that she cannot play with might well be a novelty for her.

She is happily running up and down the front stairs .

I am not sure she gets that mama Finch has had surgery but she does keep 'visiting' her while she wanders the house. Finch is confined to her crate except for potty, water and eating breaks when all the other dogs are either crated or behind closed doors - all I need would be for her to get it into her head to start rough & tumble games ..

·
Registered
13,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Class was a mix of fun and .... stays ....

A lot of the youngsters had barking issues, to the point where the instructor took one of the dogs for awhile during lecture where all the other dogs worked on place. Then a few dogs had to be separated and I was honestly a bit concerned about a very large dog (not a pup) who had a hard stare... Wren did fine around him but I was careful .

Then obstacles :) fun & movement.

Then sits & downs on our left side ..I need to work on this since Wren mostly knows them from the front position still. We worked up to a full leash length distance on the sit stay too :)

Overall, a mixture of motion & control. I think due to the dynamics of the teams, we left our cubicles & the building one at a time. The instructor is experienced so I have no worries really, I am just not used to those dynamics ... but this is not a competition class so maybe it is even better for Wren to learn what to focus on and what is none of her concern. There is none of that 'socialization' aspect that I so disagree with.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts