Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
Brady Aedan Finch and Wren
13,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Wren had a vet visit today for an exam and shots.

The good:
She weighs 29.5 pounds
Her urine 'could not be more perfect'
Fecal test good
She was a little darling

The bad:
She went running for my living room screaming a few weeks ago. I found her on TOP of an end table. Chaos broke out as Finch charged in and Aedan dropped his toy like it burned his mouth. Blood blood blood.
Aedan went to the vet and was put on antibiotics after having wounds cleaned out.

I finally know what might have happened (I checked Wren & did not see anything)
The vet spotted a broken canine tooth with exposed pulp that needs antibiotics.
So....I think Wren tried to snag the tug from Aedan, got her tooth caught as Aedan pulled away and the reason I never found a tooth is that it lodged in the toy.

She has been eating fine, playing fine, training fine. The vet said it is not uncommon to break that tooth and usually needs no action since it is a baby tooth but in Wren's case she needs antibiotics since the gum is swollen and needs to be watched in case the antibiotics don't clear the infection...in which case if will need to be extracted since it may not be pushed out naturally for 2-3 months.

Guess I know she has 1) a high drive and 2) high pain tolerance.

Poor puppy girl.

·
Registered
13,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
The adventures in a multi-dog house. Hopefully the antibiotics take care of the issue while we wait for the adult tooth to come in.

On the plus side, she walked her cute little butt into the clinic and back out...no more needing to be carried :)

·
Registered
13,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 · (Edited)
Wren got to see stores, shopping carts, can returns, flower baskets, people, people swinging gym bags and more on this rainy Sunday May 30 2021. at 14 weeks old. A few more weeks before her next set of classes start.

One of my stops was Goodwill, so the back seat was full. I opened the hatch to put her in the crate and she attempted to JUMP IN!! I did catch her, but I was not expecting that!

She got to practice 'Leave Its' with all the normal debris on the ground and sidewalks -- and the flowers & plants outside of Stop & Shop.
Wren out and about May 30 2021.jpg

·
Registered
13,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
I have not yet decided, but Wren may be going to the big dogs rental tonight. No friends will be joining me tonight, but perhaps it is time she starts seeing the training places. Honestly not much is expected of her yet but perhaps just games?

·
Registered
13,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 · (Edited)
Today's adventure included heading into one if our local cities to an outdoor mall that includes a Petco, wide sidewalks, carriages, a lot of people & cars, fast food places with the smells etc.

I brought Wren & Brady for both distractions work and generalization. Brady did his non-equipment Utility work while Wren got to see & explore, practice loose leash walking, polite greetings, being rewarded for shifting focus to me, a variety of ethnicitities, varying ages from very young in strollers to old with canes etc.

She only barked once in the car at a black face mask being blown by the wind LOL almost everyone in my area is wearing masks although the mandate has been lifted.

Wren did not go to the rental last night as there was at least 1 seminar over the weekend so no deep cleaning occurred before my rental.

IMG_2021-05-31_11-38-57.JPG

·
Registered
13,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I just signed Wren up for her next set of classes..it is geared for 5.5 months & up, but she graduated the under 5 months classes. the 5.5+ is still geared towards puppies (without the so-called 'socialization'/playtime) so I believe she will fit in, but left a note for the instructor reminding her that Wren will be less than 4 months old when the class begins and does she think it will be a good fit, or if Wren should repeat the puppy basics class which I truly loved with all the obstacles and such.

·
Registered
13,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 · (Edited)
Wren joined Aedan & I at Panthorne Park for some noontime training. Wren had walk abouts, some short recalls and beginning focus for heeling work. She barked her head off while I was in sight working with Aedan on heeling, command discrimination and recalls LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
13,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Wren taught herself a new trick this evening.

Jut hanging around outside, letting Wren & Aedan play together and Wren got that glint in her eye .... you know the look ... puppy run up & over the (lowered to probably 4.5 feet) AFrame.... she was so delighted with herself she started doing circles which included said AFrame.

Yes I was by the side to grab the little munchkin should she look like she was going to bail from height, but it really was amazing to me.

15 weeks old , may need to start teaching her foot targets for her stop (2o2o or sit on contact?) .. I actually need to teach tuck sits as well since she has a natural rock back, so foot targets would be a two-fer.

·
Registered
13,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 · (Edited)
It is very hot here! Dogs are napping away the day while I have been doing this and that -- somewhat with a focus on Ms Wren. You see, she has a definite rock-back style of sitting and to be perfectly honest, I have never had to teach a dog a tuck-up sit.

Soooo, she will be joining us at my air conditioned rental tonight - her first time :) A friend will be joining us as well with 2 or 3 dogs, so she will get to experience big dogs around that are not house mates.

And I have a few ideas of foundation work she will begin learning for that sit...

Hand touch
Chin rest
Pocket hand

and perhaps I will bring a small platform as well.

She starts her new class on Wed, actually I start without her for the first week, then she joins next week -- it should be interesting since the class is targeted for pups 5 1/2 months and older, but the instructor & I feel she will be a good fit.

Once she has learned her positions & stays she can also start drop in rally classes on Saturdays, however that may not happen due to the heat -- the classes run with very little time between them and I already bring Brady & Aedan, adding another hour may exceed my ability to keep the car cool enough without the engine running unattended.

·
Registered
13,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
AACKKKK

Yes, she is surely a barker! When she wants out of the crate and to work -- or maybe she's just jealous of the other dogs getting attention?

We started chin rests, hand touches and she was introduced to some new recall games and even a step or 2 of 'heeling' using pocket hand -- she still does not totally get that she should watch my hand and follow it for food & toys tosses LOL

If she noticed the other dogs, she gave no indication :) She did greet my friend, not completely calmly but getting there :)

She strongly objected to the community crate I used when I first told her to kennel up -- probably the disinfectant I used since I use natural cleaners at home which generally have a light pleasant scent - the spay at the club is .. well chemically and strong even to human noses. Once in, she was fine.

61 - 80 of 96 Posts