Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
Brady Aedan Finch and Wren
13,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
I am just back from Sunfire Mtn and have signed the litter registration papers... looks like everyone is happy with their pups so the registrations can be sent out.

While I was there we decided on Wren's official name

Sunfire's Meadow Wren

Sunfire the kennel name

Meadow goes back in Trey & Steeler's line

Wren (daughter of Finch, granddaughter of Towhee, great grand daughter of Chickie (Chickadee) etc up the bird line

Screenshot_20210508-174950_Dropbox.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
13,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Zooming around, trashing the house up, but she figured out how much momentum was needed to jump onto the couch (yeah tugging on the throws has also been recently discovered).

11 weeks old and she figured out how to level the playing field to tug with uncle Brady.
IMG_2021-05-09_07-56-38.JPG

·
Registered
13,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
Saturdays are generally filled with dog activities and a noisy neighborhood. This weekend I have no dog centric events (trials, training etc) - just as well since my 2 boys are on the injured list.

Anyhow, I decided to introduce lil Wren to the treat n train AND agility poles -- just 2 right now since she is far too young to stress her growing body (11 weeks old) - but I can start teaching her to drive through for independent rewards and about obstacle versus handler focus.

The noisy neighborhood ,neighbors hammering metal which she reacted (but recovered from) to, traffic noise and the gun club behind my house provided noise distractions and this area of the yard provided fresh garden dirt, garden planters with vegetation within her reach behind the camera and access to woods and all those glorious sticks to the side.

Her session :

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Saturdays are generally filled with dog activities and a noisy neighborhood. This weekend I have no dog centric events (trials, training etc) - just as well since my 2 boys are on the injured list.

Anyhow, I decided to introduce lil Wren to the treat n train AND agility poles -- just 2 right now since she is far too young to stress her growing body (11 weeks old) - but I can start teaching her to drive through for independent rewards and about obstacle versus handler focus.

The noisy neighborhood ,neighbors hammering metal which she reacted (but recovered from) to, traffic noise and the gun club behind my house provided noise distractions and this area of the yard provided fresh garden dirt, garden planters with vegetation within her reach behind the camera and access to woods and all those glorious sticks to the side.

Her session :
Nice job! I have that same treat dispenser I use with weaves. Logan loves it.

·
Registered
13,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·

·
Registered
13,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
I signed up for something a little different at FDSA -- a group of Webinars (26 for ~260) and am currently watching a seminar on Puppy Socialization - my 1st one. I am finding it amazing and have already learned more things Wren and future puppies can be exposed to, how to safely expose them to and perhaps most importantly, how to allow Wren and other pups in my future to have choices in situations they find a bit overwhelming.

For instance, I did not know that the 2nd major fear period is actually not a fear period but rather a neural path 'pruning' as the brain become more efficient and honed in on the pup's/adolescent's dogs environment, this 'pruning' can result in some temporary unexpected side effects ... and occurs in all species

And one thing I loved! It is not about meeting 50 people a day and you don't need a checklist of all the things you need to do (does anyone really have time for that? I work, i have other dogs, I have a house etc) but rather teaching your pup that life is variable, everyday happenings are enough and socialization should also include NOT interacting with every dog or person they encounter. That nothing is constant but the world is safe. Be aware that every thing is a socialization opportunity and pay attention -- I really loved this lecture !!

·
Registered
13,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
And she just got her nails done -- the dremel was for 2 nails only before she started pulling away, so I switched to nail cutters - we'll work more on the dremel as time goes on. Lots of peanut butter for rewards - 1 nail, PB, 2 nails PB, change feet, PB etc and she climbed down the last 2 stairs from the grooming table on her own (halfway down and while I protected her from falling, she could either go up or go down; she has limited exposure to stairs but she decided she could navigate down on her own :) and was highly rewarded for both steps). And dried liver once her feet touched on the floor. She'll be heading out on a big dog hike (leashed still until her recall is very solid) with her mama in a bit. She rebounded quickly and started high jinx playing with mama as soon as she was able. Now she is crated again so she doesn't wear herself out before her hike, where she will again meet up with BIL and his dog - this is a true hike with rough terrain etc but she is learning rough terrain well so....

Time to actively start training with nail care since I probably gave her too long without a nail trim at 3 weeks. I normally trim weekly. Her foot fur is about due for her 1st trimming as well.

·
Super Moderator Leader
51,741 Posts
I signed up for something a little different at FDSA -- a group of Webinars (26 for ~260) and am currently watching a seminar on Puppy Socialization - my 1st one. I am finding it amazing and have already learned more things Wren and future puppies can be exposed to, how to safely expose them to and perhaps most importantly, how to allow Wren and other pups in my future to have choices in situations they find a bit overwhelming.

For instance, I did not know that the 2nd major fear period is actually not a fear period but rather a neural path 'pruning' as the brain become more efficient and honed in on the pup's/adolescent's dogs environment, this 'pruning' can result in some temporary unexpected side effects ... and occurs in all species

And one thing I loved! It is not about meeting 50 people a day and you don't need a checklist of all the things you need to do (does anyone really have time for that? I work, i have other dogs, I have a house etc) but rather teaching your pup that life is variable, everyday happenings are enough and socialization should also include NOT interacting with every dog or person they encounter. That nothing is constant but the world is safe. Be aware that every thing is a socialization opportunity and pay attention -- I really loved this lecture !!
The Webinar sounds really interesting.

·
Registered
13,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
The Webinar sounds really interesting.
It truly is -- it is in the 'Pet' area and the webinar bundles seem to be something new. But 'pet' or competition, the fundamentals tend to be the same. I am looking forward to other webinars ; it took me a few days to complete this one since, well you know puppy & life LOL but the format allows for that since it is recorded.

·
Registered
13,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Report from the hike :)

it is thundering & lightning here - no rain yet. Anyway it started when Finch & Wren were on the trails with Paul, Larry & his dog. Wren had no reaction and will hopefully associate Thunder & Lightning with having fun finding & splashing in mud puddles, climbing rocks and being in the woods having an adventure

·
Registered
13,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
And the time has come when she has to start waiting to be let outside after whining... right now it t is a mere 5 minutes but we will work up as house training continues.

Is she happy about it? Heck no! But on the other side of this, she can now be free in the house for 30-45 minutes after coming inside.

·
Registered
13,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 · (Edited)
An exciting day in Wren's world. She is being granted more time playing with the other dogs

She learned the cement stairs from the back yard to the driveway.

She rode with the big dogs (1st time in car with the other dogs) up to her breeders for a mini health clinic.

She received her rabies, her micro chip and a brief physical.

She was then put in her outdoor puppy pen where she reacquainted herself with all the fun obstacles.

And then, other people, dogs & puppies started arriving. She was delighted as other puppies almost exactly her age joined her in the pen. She showed them the obstacles and how to swim in the water bucket. They showed her the joys of digging. All the pups had a great time playing & wrestling with each other. This was actually the first time she met the other puppies as they were raised in a different house than she was (for those interested, the pups who joined her were some of the Steeler pups).

And for the first time in her young life, she saw people without masks on. That would play and laugh with her.

One friend felt bad and asked me how I would be driving home with such a dirty puppy. As customary at these get togethers, adult dogs were crated, in our vehicles or held on leash. I had Brady, Aedan & Finch in the Xterra.

Wren is the pup with the dirty nose and rolled tan collar.

My pics were more about event than her specifically and take
20210523_163207.jpg
20210523_163423.jpg
20210523_163135.jpg
20210523_163203.jpg
20210523_163425.jpg
20210523_163133.jpg
20210523_163116.jpg
20210523_163118.jpg
n on my phone.

·
Registered
13,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 · (Edited)
No swimming or lifting by the scruff for a week while the microchip spot heals. Wren was the only puppy (of 5) who did not bleed I think.

·
Registered
13,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Did I mention Wren got quite dirty ? A few pics shared by my friend in our FB group. Wren is called CT Wren on these posts since another pup was named Wren (called NY Wren so we know which pup is being referenced).
2021-05-24-00-48-47.jpg
2021-05-24-00-50-08.jpg
2021-05-24-00-46-14.jpg

41 - 60 of 96 Posts