Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
Brady Aedan Finch and Wren
13,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Saturday I get to bring a new girl home.
Wren will be home by suppertime (I need to go over paperwork and questions for several other new owners at the breeders before I get to bring Wren home; the breeders are at either field trials or hunt tests)

I have everything almost ready. Puppy food, 2 crates, puppy toys, a class and 1st vet appointment lined up for next Tue. Official name TBD Steak & chicken have been prepared and are in the freezer for her class, I will also bring string cheese. I need to try things like liver and meatballs to make sure she can handle them before bringing anything that rich to a class :)

I have older dogs who, while they may not be delighted that Wren will be joining our household (Finch especially once she realizes a daughter followed her home!) they are delighted with her things so far. Then again once Wren is bigger and they are allowed to play, I am sure they will all be best buddies.

Brady loves the bedroom crate with blankie and all 3 older dogs are trying to steal her toys...one tug is currently in Finch's mouth, the figure 8 has already been tossed since the plastic was already chewed by Finch and Brady was trying to get into the dining room crate set up for Wren since that has puppy toys inside already .... there are plenty of toys left suitable for a pup so no worries there LOL

Brady, Aedan & Finch exploring the setups in the attached pics

IMG_2021-04-15_10-53-58.JPG
20210415_104851.jpg

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Do you have divider's (or a box to put in the crate) for those crates? Many pups, given that much room, will use the far end, away from where they sleep, as a place to go pee and pooh! That makes house breaking much more difficult... Our rule is give a new pup only enough room that is needed to laydown and turn around.

Good Luck

·
Registered
13,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have never had joy with dividers, but thanks.

I may pick up a small litter box to put in the crate if Wren has issues (breeder uses similar, although larger, litter boxes in the whelping & puppy areas).

·
Registered
13,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A busy day for Ms Wren - it started at 3am when I woke up and brought her outside, then she played with the dogs a bit

Among other things she has
interacted with the built in vacuum (have video)
Interacted with the floor steam clean (have video)
Played with Aedan and Finch (Brady is not interacting yet, his choice)
Taken a trip to a local park to
1) be introduced to a light leash and discovered she can walk on it
2) see sights & hear sounds she may not be used to
3) walk on a variety of surfaces including asphalt, cement, grass, sand, the wood of the pavilions
4) see a lot of people doing park things (tennis, basketball, play grounds, running, just hanging around some eating at tables
5) Run and decide when to stop & observe and when to seek the familiarity of me

She is happily going in and out of the house by the back door.
She has explored my back and one side yard and the close by woods
She has smelled woodsmoke, heard the gun ranges from afar, met a neighbor, had 2 young girls pet her, seen me interacting (socially distanced) with people, is getting used to being picked up etc.
She is already self crating when she needs time to recoup or simply to sleep
Next up I have a rental

Disappointments? When I thought it would be a great idea to take a pic of lil Wren surveying the park with all the activity, I realized I did not have my phone or camera on me .... I still need to process some video of her steam cleaner & vacuum reactions

·
Registered
13,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wren and the older dogs went to a different park today at lunch. For the older dogs it was about training. For Wren it was about getting to know the world my crew lives in :)

This park had a few people walloping big baseballs behind us, a fairly busy play area with sound effects from some of the equipment, an earth mover, ducks, dandelions, a pond, walking trails, runners, walkers, tennis courts, streams and to Finch's delight goose poop.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
1st vet visit went well..she was carried in since I really want leash events to be pleasant for the next while. The techs didn't seem to mind, in fact they only brought 1 leash out with them.

She did 'interfere' the vet said, while laughing, while he was doing his pre-surgical exam on mama Finch. Wanting to be in on whatever was going on.

She weighed in at 15.7# at 8 weeks 4 days old .. and seemed to quite enjoy this adventure too.

·
Registered
13,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wren went to her 1st class today

The instructor mentioned 'Yes, she has a streak of the stubborn and we may need a discussion' LOLOLOL She is a thinker as well ...

She went through an agility ladder and a regular sliding ladder, under stools, over a wobble board, over a board with half circle jump circles and other obstacles. She is learning come, down, collar grabs, leave its and to a lesser extent sits. Several comments on how adorable she is -- but!! she barks when frustrated -- that needs to be nipped in the bud ... but overall I think she had fun and was gleefully doing the obstacles after being shown how. Walking nicely on her lead for the most part.

This is in a facility that I feel is safe for both Wren and me; a facility that does sterilization (both cleaning and UV (?) cleaning) between classes and has a special ventilation system where I have been going with the older dogs.

·
Super Moderator Leader
51,646 Posts
"The instructor mentioned 'Yes, she has a streak of the stubborn and we may need a discussion' LOLOLOL She is a thinker as well ..."
Sounds like you may have your work cut out for you with this girl, but she sounds like so much fun!

·
Registered
13,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A few of Wren's adventures today..one of my gun clubs and a local high school (lush grass and dirt baseball field). A few shooters at the club plus the smell of cigars etc. We left the HS when a softball or similar team arrived.

We practiced acclimation, recalls, downs and leash walking. A few sits and the start of leave its. She did well. At least until she decided she'd rather watch the team (the girls and their parents were oohing & ahhhing at her) than come back to the Xterra LOL .... another dog on the field that came while we were there did not phase her at all, in the distance but trying to engage Wren's attention.

The older dogs had their classes this morning into early afternoon, so Wren was out in the harsh light for photos .. but I remembered my phone LOL A beautiful sunny day close to 70 degrees. 2 days this past week we had snow, 1 day violent thunderstorms and today beautiful :) Tomorrow it is forecast to rain heavily but I have a rental so at least the older dogs will be worked; Wren may stay at home since I doubt I'll be able to leave my gate open and the rental has a lot of people and dogs coming through so not really safe for lil Wren until she completes her shots.

out and abouts Apr 24 2021.jpg

·
Super Moderator
1,080 Posts
Welcome back Sharon! Congrats on the new baby! She’s adorable and you are going to have so much fun with her!

Reactions: AmberSunrise

·
Registered
13,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The bath went better for me than her, I think. She was less than thrilled about the whole thing . Luckily she fits easily into the kitchen sink.

Of course then I go outside with the older dogs (it was cold so she stayed inside since she was wet) without changing into dry clothes first, so it might have been a draw between us.

·
Registered
13,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
//
Welcome back Sharon! Congrats on the new baby! She’s adorable and you are going to have so much fun with her!

//

Thanks :) She is a blast - I was prepared for a Borax son, but Wren joined us instead and is just such a great little puppy!! Wren is a Finch daughter.

·
Registered
49 Posts
A busy day for Ms Wren - it started at 3am when I woke up and brought her outside, then she played with the dogs a bit

Among other things she has
interacted with the built in vacuum (have video)
Interacted with the floor steam clean (have video)
Played with Aedan and Finch (Brady is not interacting yet, his choice)
Taken a trip to a local park to
1) be introduced to a light leash and discovered she can walk on it
2) see sights & hear sounds she may not be used to
3) walk on a variety of surfaces including asphalt, cement, grass, sand, the wood of the pavilions
4) see a lot of people doing park things (tennis, basketball, play grounds, running, just hanging around some eating at tables
5) Run and decide when to stop & observe and when to seek the familiarity of me

She is happily going in and out of the house by the back door.
She has explored my back and one side yard and the close by woods
She has smelled woodsmoke, heard the gun ranges from afar, met a neighbor, had 2 young girls pet her, seen me interacting (socially distanced) with people, is getting used to being picked up etc.
She is already self crating when she needs time to recoup or simply to sleep
Next up I have a rental

Disappointments? When I thought it would be a great idea to take a pic of lil Wren surveying the park with all the activity, I realized I did not have my phone or camera on me .... I still need to process some video of her steam cleaner & vacuum reactions
Wren is adorable! Congrats on your puppy!

I wanted to ask a couple of questions as we too just brought home a puppy a couple of weekends ago. We would love to take her to a park to introduce her to sights, sounds, more people etc. but have been worried due to her only having had her first round of shots and being so young. The vet wanted us to wait until she was at least 10-12 weeks and was a bit older, and larger to fend off getting sick. Do you have any recommendation on how to manage this, or any thoughts on how vaccinated a pup needs to be to take them to places like this?

Also - any tips on giving a puppy a bath in the sink? We gave Kiki her first bath over the weekend as she'd been rolling around in her own pee on a patch of fake grass😅. I think the experience was awful for her, and awful for me - she was so unhappy with it, and I think that just stressed me out which probably stressed her out further. We did warm water in the bath with a bit of puppy shampoo, and I tried to get through it as quickly as possible but she was shaking pretty hard by the end of it, which I have honestly not seen her do since her very first night home when she had an upset tummy. She is otherwise a very adventurous girl, good with meeting new people, loud noises don't seem to phase her etc. Any suggestions you have would be awesome, thank you!

·
Registered
13,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Hi there! Congrats on your puppy :)

I concentrate on people parks where there are few dogs and I only attend one training facility where they use UV sterilization between classes...each class participant also has a 'cubicle' which is walled with ceiling high plastic and sterilized between uses. Floor work has us following 6 foot distances at a minimum (masks are mandatory as well for people). I feel this is fairly safe although potty breaks are at a distance from the building where I figure few dogs walk. Limited adventures will continue until she finishes her puppy series, if I dec in decide to bring her to say Petco or HomeDepot before her shots are complete, she will be in a carriage on a towel but I will probably wait on those places...I just don't think they are that critical for her.

The bath ... she did not enjoy it unless I was rubbing/massaging her but we got it done LOL she did enjoy the toweling dry. It was in a deep sink with a hand sprayer and puppy shampoo.

And now she's whimpering so time to take her out :)

1 - 20 of 89 Posts