Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i guess i just really didnt believe that this breed was as smart as it is and as easy to train!...now hopefully i am not jinxing myself!

our pooch Duke is whining at the back door to go out to use the bathroom, he is in no way trained but he does whine when he needs to go number2,he is almost 7 weeks old, hopefully it wont be too much of a challenge.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I would have to agree - Goldens seem to be very easy to train. Our two little tigers are only 12 weeks and we haven't had an "accident" in the house for a week now.

10 years ago when I was helping our Woody become a good boy I praised him for doing his duties outside and scolded him for doing it elsewhere. He was 100% housebroken by 10 weeks. Now I'm sure that's not the normal time it takes but Woody was special. Now Doc on the other hand was still making a mess once in a while at 10 months. Different strokes.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Our Lila's housetrainig is going well on the poop side - she does it only outside since she was 9 weeks old - but I guess she has just gotten used to peeing inside on the newspapers. :(

Our carpet reeked so bad we had to buy a steam cleaner. It seems that she's getting better in holding it until she goes outside, but I have a feeling that whenever she needs to pee she just finds the papers. We scold her when we catch her and praise her when she pees outside. We had a set back for a couple of days because she had a urinary tract infection (got antibiotics for a week from the vet), so she HAD to go every couple of minutes. We bought the training urine pads for her but I'm not sure whether this is a good step since she should learn to go outside only...

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
414 Posts
I would be trying to phase out any pads and newspaper. It sounds like you are doing the right thing, I would just make sure to bring her out as often as you can. Even too many times just to break her of the habit.

Steam cleaning alone may not be enough. There is a product you can buy that eliminates urine smell from carpets.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Daisy was a quick learner re housetraining, Millie [normally the clever one] still having piddle accidents at 6 months. Neither would poo in the house tho'.

I guess the most important "tool" for this is constant vigilence! First sign of sniffing, restlesness, imm. after meals, before meals, when woken up every 30 mins ect ect out they went, followed by lots of praise for a "result"!

I got a spray from the pet shop that is supposed to get rid of the smell of urine so they dont keep going to the same place , thier noses are more sensitive than ours and can smell things we cant. This seemed to work.

Sarah

·
Registered
101 Posts
Rocky is doing great with number 2, he's only gone once inside, but that was on his very first night home. Ever since, he's never gone number 2 inside.

Peeing is a different story, he was doing pretty good showing us signs last week that he needed to urine. But for the past few days, he'll just go pee with no signs. We'll be playing and all of a sudden he'll go. I have to pay much much more attention to him as of now. Now that he's going inside, everytime I bring him outside, he's not going:(

I'm still unsure of how to praise him when he goes potty outside, because if i go near him, he'll just stop and stare then start playing around for a bit and then he'll start sniffing around the yard again and start going again. I want to praise him but at the same time I don't want him to feel uncomfortable when i'm too close to him when he goes potty.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have to agree with TW... I'd faze out those newspapers. Move them closer to the door one day...closer yet...until the newspapers were outside, so Lila would have to go outside to get on the newspapers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tracy,
Sounds like Rocky is doing what a lot of male dogs do. My Cooper would do the same thing, and the key to the whole thing is consistency... When you see him going in the house a very firm "NO", take him outside and you don't have to be close to him, to tell him "GOOD POTTY, GOOD POTTY"...He'll hear you.

Good Luck!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts