Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog has gotten so itchy over the past couple weeks. the base of his tail and his belly area..........he has no fleas, and i dont feed him corn or wheat. what could some other reasons be? is there anything simple and topical i could do?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmmm well yes the heat is on here in the apartmet. i have not seen itchy sores or bumps but if he keeps chewing at the base of his tail it may form a scab.

what do you do for dog dry skin? can't put body butter on them!

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Fish oil, high in omega 3's will help dry skin immensely as well as having many other health benefits.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
If it was just biting at the base of his tail, I would possibly have said get his anal glands checked, but on his belly as well - not so sure. When we first had Reeva she got a rash on her belly, double rinsed the dog bedding when it was washed and problem went away.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 5yr old golden (Toby) has had the same things happening to him. He is really itchy now on the base of his tail and on his tummy. He is constantly biting. This also happens to him during the summer as well. We have had the blood drawn and the thyroid panel done and it came back in the normal range. Last time the vet gave him antibiotics and a shot of steroids. That helped and I bought some prescription shampoo that really helped. The vet tells me if this keeps up we need to have him allergy tested. I did change his food to a lamb & rice formula but that didn't seem to make a difference. I wonder how much this allergy testing would cost?

·
Registered
136 Posts
My dog has gotten so itchy over the past couple weeks. the base of his tail and his belly area..........he has no fleas, and i dont feed him corn or wheat. what could some other reasons be? is there anything simple and topical i could do?
what food are you feeding?

Steve

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Micro-tek shampoo can help the itchies immediately (www.eqyss.com). Also, adding fish oil to their food has numerous health benefits... helping skin and coat is one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts