Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pure-blooded Golden Retriever, whose pure-bloodedness can be traced back generations of pure-blood Golden Retrievers... chose her stuffed toy today over food.

Real food.

She came to the door with a toy when I got home from work tonight, as usual, and I opened the door to have her come out. Little did I know there was bread in the courtyard. As she walked through, she paused, sniffed at the bread, and stood there as if thinking, "Okay, I want that bread, but this toy is in my mouth. What do I do? What do I do?" As I caught up to her and saw the bread, she chose to walk on. Same on the way back in.

TWO CHANCES SHE HAD AT THAT BREAD!!

(Maybe she's not really a Golden afterall...) :(

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
So funny... I think I would have fallen over from shock if Rookie chose a toy over food!

·
My Best Friend is Golden!
168 Posts
Me too! I think Lady and Koda would choose food over everything but affection, not a toy though! WOW! If my Goldens did that I would have to look down at them and say, "Who are you and what did you do with my dog!?!" Too cute!

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
When Tess is in the garden (her most favorite place to be, anytime!) and hears me slicing bread, she comes running! No way would she have passed on that opportunity!

·
Dog Lover
42,036 Posts
Wow!!

Wow!! That is AMAZING about your girl!!

Tucker and Tonka would have taken the bread, I'm sure.

·
Registered
16,394 Posts
I have one food-crazy (Tally), and two toys crazies (Copley and Finn). For Copley, there is no contest and he'd take the toy over food any day, but Tally would have scarfed that bread.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Okay, stay calm! Call the vet immediately, get a full work up. There is something definitely wrong.

I remember the Sunday morning on our walk through the village. Penny came across a slice of pizza on the sidewalk and sniffed it. I said "leave it" AND SHE DID! Sometimes, they are like our kids and just do the right thing at the right time.

Good Girl!

·
Registered
199 Posts
My Golden would pass on the bread over a toy as well. He was never really a super foodie. Our little cocker spaniel is another story, perpetually on a diet!

·
Chester's Mommy
2,688 Posts
Wow, that's amazing.

For all of my dogs, food always comes first. If someone walks in the door right as they're eating, they have a really hard time deciding what to do. They'll start walking towards the door, but then back to the food, but then back towards the door, and then they eventually decide on finishing the food. After their food is done, then they go nuts over whoever just walked in the door. :D

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Aw! Wow! Joey is half and half I think. He was once eating his dinner and i came home with a new toy, i squeaked it once to show my brother and Joey stoped eating came over to me and wouldn't leave me alone or eat his food until i put it away. That being said, on a walk he would try to eat any form of food we incounter. :)

·
Registered
12,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, that's amazing.

For all of my dogs, food always comes first. If someone walks in the door right as they're eating, they have a really hard time deciding what to do. They'll start walking towards the door, but then back to the food, but then back towards the door, and then they eventually decide on finishing the food. After their food is done, then they go nuts over whoever just walked in the door. :D
Ha! Mine has done the exact same! And it's that frantic little dance. Eating... eating... someone's here??? Must go to the door! No! Must keeping eating! What do I do? What do I do? :):)

I actually love watching moments like that, and with the bread last night. You can see the little wheels turning in their brains. I have to say, though, I was pretty surprised last night. She will leave food on the ground if I'm there to say, "leave it!" But last night was entirely her decision. So weird!!

·
Registered
12,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay, stay calm! Call the vet immediately, get a full work up. There is something definitely wrong.
I know, right? SOOO funny!

But I'm happy to see from you guys that maybe my sweet girl really IS still a Golden, and that aliens having necessarily come and dognapped her. Who would have thunk? Goldens passing up food.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts