Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading the 'Christmas puppy' thread I got to wondering if any of the breeders here would sell me/us a puppy.

Here's our profile: elderly couple (he's 70, I'm almost 65). We SAY we lots of experience. We SAY we are active. We SAY we would take the puppy to obedience classes. We SAY we have a plan for the continued care of the puppy if we can't. But you don't know us. We might be over estimating our ability or just plain lying. Would you trust that WE have evaluated our situation fairly and honestly, based on our experience (stb) and that we feel quite capable of raising a puppy?

I have to think that any breeder would look at us and say "No, too old and might not really know what they are getting into. Better not."

Discussion? Oh, and don't worry, the last time my feelings got hurt was in 1979 and I'm over it now!;) So be honest!:wave:

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
I was at a Show N Go the other week and while chatting with one of my club members, I asked him if he would be getting a pup anytime soon. He said no due to his age - I think he is in his 90's at this point but still active (skiing, dog training, working out etc).

A pity, since I doubt if any breeder would hesitate selling him a dog :)

·
Owned by Buddy and Lady
86 Posts
Funny thing I came on this thread, Not about pups but rescues. My mother-in-law recently lost her 13 year old border collie mix to cancer, she wants another dog. She is almost 79 in good health other than very low vision. She dog sits my two goldens every day. She has been around horse and dogs for a long time. 85 by 40 fenced yard, financial secure, owns her home.....
We have insured that we will take care of the dog should something happen to her. She has no use for small dogs. There is always a reason why they don't feel the dog is an appropriate fit.
I have even put co-adoption, but no luck. She is looking for a Bernese Mountain Dog or other large dog mix but she has had an offer of a Bichon frise? They don't understand a small dog would more easily trip her.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But imagine it isn't anyone you know. Somebody checks a website, makes a call, an appointment to visit and what comes walking toward you is an elderly couple...the man a little wobbly appearing. First impression?

I was at a Show N Go the other week and while chatting with one of my club members, I asked him if he would be getting a pup anytime soon. He said no due to his age - I think he is in his 90's at this point but still active (skiing, dog training, working out etc).

A pity, since I doubt if any breeder would hesitate selling him a dog :)

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She sounds like me, almost, in a few years. I would hate to think I'd be denied the joy of rescuing the seniors that I'm looking forward to.

Funny thing I came on this thread, Not about pups but rescues. My mother-in-law recently lost her 13 year old border collie mix to cancer, she wants another dog. She is almost 79 in good health other than very low vision. She dog sits my two goldens every day. She has been around horse and dogs for a long time. 85 by 40 fenced yard, financial secure, owns her home.....
We have insured that we will take care of the dog should something happen to her. She has no use for small dogs. There is always a reason why they don't feel the dog is an appropriate fit.
I have even put co-adoption, but no luck. She is looking for a Bernese Mountain Dog or other large dog mix but she has had an offer of a Bichon frise? They don't understand a small dog would more easily trip her.

·
Registered
513 Posts
When a breeder sells a puppy they have to make a calculated judgement and trust as to whether that puppy will be well taken care of. Anybody (whatever their age) can lie if they have a mind to - age hasn't much to do with that. We have a 7 month old golden retriever pup and the breeder actually said that we were the ideal couple to have one of her pups and she preferred not to let them go to younger working couples or people with young children.
I am an older person and I have had gun dogs and collies most of my life. We also have a good level of fitness as well as being capable and reasonably knowledgeable about what these type of dogs need. I think that these factors and others surrounding suitability are more important than just age.
My husband and I are both now retired and have all the time in the world to spend with our dogs. They are not left alone all day, caged in an apartment while I have to go to work. I have just returned from a walk, over moors and woodland, which is something I do on a daily basis, in all weathers with my dogs off lead. (A freedom which I realise many dogs rarely have) At the moment I don't think my pup would cope with any more than an hour, but as she gets older we will go further. We have the ideal set up for keeping dogs, a good sized secure garden in a semi-rural area, which backs onto open fields and woods.
We have made provision for the care of our dog/s if anything should happen to us (my grown children would take them on). I doubt whether anyone would make the judgement that we were too old and incapable.

So Penny's Mom - if your circumstances are right, you have the energy/tolerance and you know you can give an active dog the sort of life it needs, don't let age put you off getting a golden retriever puppy - go for it. :wavey:

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Im attending classes with an older couple...one has had their chosen breed for 40 years....they have a proven track record of doing a nice job with their dogs. They got a pup...then the husband was dx with Parkinsons. They are really struggling....husband was always the primary handler, but the threesome get their butts to class ...pup is a handful and the husband can not handle him...but the threesome is okay......

Then there is my FIL - in his mid 70's.
He has had dogs his whole life....however my MIL took care of all of the details of pet care....he is active and healthy, BUT we have noticed that he doesn't have the patience he used to and he doesn't have the strength or coordination he thinks he does...there is no way in heck he should get another dog...much less a puppy.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
One of the coolest dog people I know does SAR with a Nitro golden, and she is an older person. Could not be a better dog handler or home. Some rescues do Seniors For Seniors, which is wonderful. That being said, it is hard to handle a young golden at age 85, so the breeder would need to be fully in touch and on stand by.

Reactions: LibertyME

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
But imagine it isn't anyone you know. Somebody checks a website, makes a call, an appointment to visit and what comes walking toward you is an elderly couple...the man a little wobbly appearing. First impression?
He actually appears to be in great shape - he just stopped running agility due to sciatica (sp) but still does obedience & field. But I see your point. As long as there are provisions for the care and/or return of the pup for elderly issues, I know the breeders I know would take that into consideration.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Aerolor, I'm not questioning whether we should get a pup or not. We've pretty much decided that we've got it very comfortable with just Penny and we don't want to rock the boat.

In the other thread, it was pointed out how choosey breeders are about placing pups and I am asking if any of the breeders here would be prejudiced against an elderly couple when placing their pups.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Ihave often said, that the thought of not having a golden,to share my life with, is heartbreaking,to me, i will be 60, i may only have one,or two more ,in my lifetime.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Im not sure it is prejudice....but being realistic.
A person tripping over a dog or being knocked of balance and breaking a hip can be life threatening for a person in their 80's ...
Factors are likely to increase over the life of the dog...death, nursing homes, illness are statistical realities..

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Yep...Im with you there!
I'm not yet 50 and Ive found myself doing the math as well...

Ihave often said, that the thought of not having a golden,to share my life with, is heartbreaking,to me, i will be 60, i may only have one,or two more ,in my lifetime.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
True. So would you be inclined to say no because of those reasons? Based on a visual of the person and what MIGHT happen?

Im not sure it is prejudice....but being realistic.
A person tripping over a dog or being knocked of balance and breaking a hip can be life threatening for a person in their 80's ...
Factors are likely to increase over the life of the dog...death, nursing homes, illness are statistical realities..

·
Registered
513 Posts
Aerolor, I'm not questioning whether we should get a pup or not. We've pretty much decided that we've got it very comfortable with just Penny and we don't want to rock the boat.

In the other thread, it was pointed out how choosey breeders are about placing pups and I am asking if any of the breeders here would be prejudiced against an elderly couple when placing their pups.

I see Penny's Mom - I thought you were considering a pup and were thinking of your age. :confused:

I suppose the real question is how elderly is elderly - Some folks are old and infirm in their early sixties while others are lucky to still be very active and fit. Maybe a sensible breeder would make a decison based on individuals and their circumstances, rather than just age. That's what I did when I was deciding how to place my puppies).
I must admit our age was one of the things we thought about when we decided to get another puppy, but we calculated the odds and decided that we were up to it and fortunately the breeder we chose was happy to trust that one of her puppies would be well placed with us. (As an aside - the breeder and her husband were no spring chickens either (in their late 60's) and they were still training their show horses and running a boarding kennel - ;)).

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I kept saying Rocket was my last horse...I thought he'd live forever. We would grow old together and then retire from horsin' around. That was TWO horses ago and if I wear out these two, I just might get two more!! I can't picture my life without a Golden Retreiver in my house or a Morgan Horse in my barn!

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My kind of people. I guess the breeder would have to be people like this who, themselves, are experienced with age and activity. I wonder how many are...

I see Penny's Mom - I thought you were considering a pup and were thinking of your age. :confused:

I suppose the real question is how elderly is elderly - Some folks are old and infirm in their early sixties while others are lucky to still be very active and fit. Maybe a sensible breeder would make a decison based on individuals and their circumstances, rather than just age.
I must admit our age was one of the things we thought about when we decided to get another puppy, but we calculated the odds and decided that we were up to it and fortunately the breeder we chose was happy to trust that one of her puppies would be well placed with us. (As an aside - the breeder and her husband were no spring chickens either (in their late 60's) and they were still training their show horses and running a boarding kennel - ;)).

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
Many breeders won't sell to families with young children. I don't see that as biased.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
If you had asked me the same question 10 years ago I would have said "no of course not!"

But having watched my FIL change so much over the last couple of years...as of this summer he was still riding his bike every day (well did before the snow started flying)...he still mentally sharp and working/volunteering etc..
Yet even with all that, we've seen him start to stumble a bit...sadly his body is starting to betray him....

He has an 8yo retired racing greyhound (a great dog!) she is perfect on leash and is a really good match for him....he walks her for hours on local trails everyday. I have had to make him promise me that he will always carry his cell phone with him in case he falls. It is my worst fear.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.