Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone! I've been searching for a reputable, trustworthy breeder for about 4 months now. I am considering these 3 breeding programs right now.

Here they are:

KP Goldens in Gig Harbor, WA
Once Upon a Dream Kennels in Idaho Falls, ID
Whiskey Creek Goldens in Scappoose, OR

They all have websites with their OFA test results and pedigrees linked. What do you guys think? Does anyone have any experiences with these breeders?

They all look good to me but I wanted to ask for some of your thoughts before I made a decision! If anyone has any opinions, I’d love to hear them!

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
2,123 Posts
Well on the KP Goldens the first dog I looked at, Epi, has grade 1 elbow dysplasia so looking at OFA they obviously failed elbows. If they are breeding a dog with failed elbows, right there would be a pass for calling them reputable. They have 1 male and 2 females. If they are Breeding their male to their 2 females, that is bad as he will likely pass on bad elbows. T there is no way to improve your breeding program using your own male as you usually look outside your lines to improve, especially when you have only 1 male and 2 females. Rarely your only male is good for your program. You might do this if you have 6 or 8 females and at least half as many males. You might use your own male VERY occasionally.

OU looks IFFY, but Lilly has mild hip dysplasia but their website has hips and elbows as results due in August 2020. They still her her listed and no update yet on the site but at least they checked the box to show failed results. That's a sign of a transparent breeder at least! THEN I looked at the boys. 2 of 4 list elbow prelims. Topbrass MK's Smokin Gold Bullet had normal prelims BUT the hips were redone at 24 months but there are no elbows. so likely failed. Starting to seem like elbows are a problem in this program. I think a DEEP dive into the pedigree's of these lines is needed to find out how bad the elbow issues are. The other Male with the prelim hips (HR MK's Rowdy Boys Rasin A Ruckus) never for final elbow clearances.

Whiskey creek has a lot of dogs so I didn't look at every one but I did look at 6 or 7 and they all looked very good with all clearances including a lot of DNA testing. definitely the best of the 3 on first look without diving deep into the past dogs in the pedigree's.

The first 2 for me would be a hard pass. To many flags for my on just glancing through. The last one, Whiskey Creek 100% deserves to keep looking into.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
For me, I would be interested to see what stud KP Goldens was planning on using with Honey.
She has full clearances.
She is a Hawk daughter, who is NCL clear.
QAA Dam that has Bart and Stanley closely behind her.
Interesting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts