Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
you saw them at the local mall pet store. I am a sucker for puppies so I go to our mall's pet store to look at them. One day while I was there I saw our vet in the back doing check- ups on the puppies. For some reason that didn't sit well with me. Then I heard a staff person tell someone that their first vet visit is free. I'm wondering if this is a ploy by our vet to get more clients. Even if it isn't, I feel by her being the pet store vet she is condoning the purchase of puppies from a pet store. What do others think?

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I agree. She may look at it that she is "helping" these pups but she is also enabling puppy mills. You could ask her about it and tell her your opinion. If you change vets, I think she should know why.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
It would bother me, too. I don't know if it would bother me enough to change vets, if I were otherwise happy with her, but I have to think that it probably would. I agree with what Deb said - she's enabling puppy mills and unless she's lived under a rock for the past ten years or so, she has to know that. It would definitely make me question her ethics.

·
582 Posts
Would you rather these pups got no medical attention? Would you stop seeing your doctor because he calls on the local prison? Will you stop using your local hospital's emergency room because they patched up the murderer shot by the police?

It's not the vet's fault the dogs are being sold in the mall. He's helping puppies by providing the service he is trained for, not enabling puppy mills. Also, in this day and age, with more and more people buying their pharmaceuticals online Vets need every source of customers they can find. If they have an arrangement with the pet store, that's just marketing. I'll bet he would make the same arrangement with breeders (both responsible and BY).

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
My King, Rowdy and Casey all came from Pet Stores. So, I definitely disagree that a vet who cares for these dogs is doing any disservice or deserves your censure.

If you choose to stop going to your vet because he/she is doing what they are trained to do, and presumably love to do, that is your choice; we all must make choices about where our dollars go and who we can trust. But I cannot and will not censure a vet who is doing his/her best for puppies that might not get medical attention otherwise.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Lord no, I can't keep out of them myself and I'm raising a son who is the same way. He loves to go look at the critters. :) Now if your vet bought a dog from there I might worry a bit - definitely talk to him or her about it and figure out their logic.

Oh check ups. Well, hope he's a great vet - and no, they need vet care too. Maybe you can bring it up to your vet that you saw him there, ask him how he got into a job like that...but really, I choose my vet for how well he treats my pets....she even.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I would be thankful that even in this day (on polictical correctness) that my vet is willing to care for puppies no matter where they happen to be.

No matter where the pups originally came from the pups deserve the best possible health care that they can be given. If it is my vet they must be getting quality health care. :)

Until the consumer is willing to not put thier money down for a pup through a pet store or byb. someone has to be willing to do the best for those pups.

·
Registered
81 Posts
In my opinion it is the person who purchases a puppy from a "pet store" who supports the continuation of puppy mills, not the vet who treats those puppies. If no one buys the dogs, the puppy mills don't have a market.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Other side of the coin- if the pet store owner (or even worse puppy miller) approached your vet for services (this probably is the case), how would you feel if your vet turned them away because they were puppy mill puppies? Would the vet be ethical doing this? No one likes puppy mills, but these animals do need vet care, and it isn't their fault they were brought into the world by a puppy mill. Honestly, I would be surprised to see my vet at a pet store too, but thinking about it this way, it is about the animals, no matter where they come from.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
I have no problem what so ever with any vet provide medical care for pet store animals. The animals in there are not at fault. The breeders who place them there and the store themselves are the ones to be upset with.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I agree with some, I don't think he/she is enabling puppy mills by giving medical attention the puppies deserve.
Imagine the life of pet shop puppies, they have to spent their puppy life in "aquariums" 24/7 without (or very little) exercise and play time. If nobody buy them when they get bigger and less profitable to the point of "not worth keeping" anymore.. they will be put down. If, on top of that, they are left sick during their short life, that would be really sucks...
Just my opinion tho..

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess what bugged me also is that our vet office is extremely busy and it is difficult to get appointments. Here she is at the pet store rounding up more clients (in my opinion) when she has plenty already.
Just so everyone knows, we did end up changing vets - not for this reason. Finn had to go to the ER for eating his rope toy on a Thur. night. He ended up passing it on Fri. morning and the ER suggested he be monitored for the day. So, we called our vet and they said they wouldn't be able to do that b/c they were busy. We wanted him at the vet b/c they would know him a little better than an ER. He ended up staying at the ER for the day, but I was really disappointed with our vet. I wrote this thread just out of curiosity of what others thought. I would still love to hear other people's opinion on what they would do.

·
Shoregold
670 Posts
I agree with Gator. I was just in the pet store in my mall with my daughter. We take every pup out to socialize with them. One time I found a collar so tight on a pup. The store cut it off and told me that it was on her before it shipped and then it out grew it before it get to them. Bla, bla bla why didn't they check it when she got there. Anyway every single pup was sick. Runny eyes, runny noses, the cough made them almost thow up. When I asked if they were seen by the vet they said sure. I check the name of the vet and was shocked to see one that is well known and liked in our area. I told them they were in need of a vet (expecially one little bulldog who was in bad shape) They said he would be in the end of the following week. It was a Thursday. I don't know if he could make it or at least he would have a misserable time getting there. The crazy part is they wanted $4,400.00 for this very, very sick pup.

·
Registered
81 Posts
What I really like about this forum - agree with me or not - is that we all care about the dogs. They didn't choose to be born in a puppy mill. They didn't choose to be displayed in a glass cage. But they all deserve the best care anyone can provide - If the vet we trust our pets to chooses to treat pet store puppies (as he regularly gives free service to the rescue group that my community sponsors) then great! God bless him - I'll keep bringing my guys to him for care. I'm really impressed with the responses here - Glad to be a part of this group!

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
I'd be glad that the pet store was seeking medical care for the pups. Whether or not the pup gets care has nothing to do with whether or not the store buys more puppymill dogs to sell. If they don't get care and die, the store will buy more. If they get care and are purchased, the store will buy more.

As a trainer, I don't refuse to work with clients after I find out they got the pup from a pet store. Instead, I try and educate them on why they shouldn't do that again in the future.

·
Harleys Dad
1,052 Posts
I would hope my reaction to that scenario would be to walk over to my vet and thank her for donating her time to the welfare of the pups. She is supporting the care of animals not necessarily where they came from and how they got there.
Jerry and Harley

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Lord no, I can't keep out of them myself and I'm raising a son who is the same way.
LOL, for some reason I thought you were responding to the question about prison! You sure had me curious! :p:

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
It's hard to say. However, just because those puppies are most likely from mills doesn't mean that they don't deserve vet care too. I absolutely despise pet stores that sell puppies and kittens and I never go in them anymore, but I would at least be happy to know that they are receiving the veterinary care that they need. I can't say that I would change vets just because of that if I was otherwise happy with my vet.

·
Registered
631 Posts
If I saw my vet was checking pups at a store he would rank even higher in my books than he already is for I have not had a more compassionate, caring man than him. He is also involved in the GR rescue. I would not think twice about seeing him there caring for pups.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts