Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question will sound silly to anyone except a dog lover.
We are leaving for an 11 day trip and this is the longest we will have ever been away from Brooks in his life. Our son is coming to the house to stay with him for all except 4 days when he will be boarded.
In my mind, I think it would help Brooks if he goes in the car with us when my son takes us to the airport.
Does that seem ridiculous? (I haven't suggested it yet to my husband.....)

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
I think it would only add stress...I know that Tess is always worried when I am packing bags or suitcases. She knows that someone is leaving. If I would take her to the airport, and she would see us leave and then have to drive back again...I don't know, it seems easier to say goodbye at home and leave him in his own surroundings...

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I know for my own dogs it would make it harder. My dogs are used to me leaving the house without them. They are not used to going somewhere in the car with me, watching me leave, and then going home without me.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hadn't thought of it that way. Brooks is used to us leaving the house but of course we usually come back in a few hours. Yes, he definitely knows something is up when the suitcases are being packed and usually he makes sure he is right there to get in the car with us (he usually does go on vacations with us)

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
You are so right about the suitcases. I don't know how you can hide them from Brooks; but if you can when you do leave it won't be so dramatic. I think that Brooks will be fine with your son. Has he been boarded before?

When you get back, be prepared for a very happy greeting from Brooks - have fun!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts