Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...to force Finn to stay awake in the evenings? I work a M-F, 8-4 job and conceivably would like turn in for bed around 10 and get up to get ready for work around 6. I currently feed him at 6, 12, and 6 or as close to it as possible. Someone comes home for lunch everyday to feed, potty, and play with him.

Here's my dilemma, he's not sleeping through the night. I don't mind getting up even once (I think thats sufficient) to potty him. For example, last night it was 1:30, 4:10, 5:15 he was up. The 5:15 trip was to go downstairs and my husband informed me he fell right back to sleep on the floor but most of the time he's begging to be fed on that trip. Should I push his supper back a little later so the pup isn't starving at 5am?

I come home around 4:15 for the day, we go out to potty then play, then eat supper, but then he wants to crash around 7-9 every evening. I think this evening nap is killing our sleep routine and was wondering if it would be cruel to try to keep him awake, and if so, how? He always will wander off from us and go crash on the floor. Do I keep a leash on him and keep petting, enticing with toys, brisk trips outside?

He gets extremely cranky when he's overly tired, but at this point mom is getting extremely cranky without some sort of routine. Any input is appreciated...

·
Murphy's mom
1,084 Posts
I would push his dinner back just a bit...and yes try to keep him up in the evening time a little longer. At least that is what I did with my last puppy. Good luck. And keep reminding yourself the nighttime stuff doesn't last forever. (It just feels like it!!)

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
I personally woudn't do it. It's like keeping a human baby up. Your puppy will most definatly out grow this stage. It won't be long before they start sleeping through the night. My Bailey goes to bed around 7:30pm and I have to wake her up at 7:30 in the morning to go potty.

She use to get up in the middle of the night, but I aslo crated her during the nights until she was 5 months old and fully potty trained.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I tried to keep Josie awake longer when she was that age - it was no use. There was just nothing that would get her attention when she was ready for bed. And then she would get really cranky, as in mean. The biting was relentless. So I would give in and put her to bed, and it was like she sighed in relief.
I'm not sure if I'm a great example - I'm home all day and Josie gets lots of exercise with me - but she does sleep through the night now (she's usually up at 6 am with me, but she has gone later on weekends). It might be different being crated during the day, but you might find you are able to stretch out the nighttime potty breaks soon.
Good luck - its soooo much harder when you aren't sleeping.:no:

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I'd try pushing his dinner back an hour or so. That might help him from getting hungry so early in the AM. Hank dinner was around 7-7:30pm when he was that age. He'll outgrown this phase so enough. Trying to keep him awake when he wants to sleep would be futile.

·
Kristy
10,425 Posts
My puppy Duncan is 10 weeks old (born Nov. 9) and our issue is pretty similiar. Last night I took him to be with me around 10:30 and he was up at 3:30. He went out and peed and pooped and went back to sleep in his crate till about 5:45.

He has the same nap time approx. 7-9p.m. every night and I try to play with him when he wakes up, but he plays about 10 minutes and then tries to climb in my lap. I am a stay at home mom and have tried to spend as much time playing everyday as possible and was wondering if he would do better with more of a concrete schedule, so it is interesting for me to hear what your situation is like. I do think it is like a human child and not much you can do except try to tweak your times little by little.

Are you crating at night? Duncan is crated in our room and he seems to have adapted happily to being confined at night. Not so much in his downstairs crate during the day. We are working on it though.

Hang in there.... I keep telling myself that he will grow out of this phase pretty quickly and I will be glad for sticking with the crate and not letting him sleep in bed with me, which he would LOVE and would probably buy me more sleep time (he is a big snuggler).

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
How much are you feeding at 6 am, 12pm, 6 pm? Maybe you can divey up the food differently. More in the AM, less at lunch, more in the PM. It could help fill his belly overnight and if he isn't hungry he won't be waking up. Just a thought, it could be helpful along with a late evening walk or long play session.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
What if you gave him a kong with peanut butter around 8pm, when he's getting tired? Then he'd be busy and awake for a while longer.

Babysteps are the way to go, make it a goal to keep him up till 8 for a week, then move it to 8:30, then 9... same with the potty breaks, if he's just been an hour before he shouldn't need to go again so soon, try to get him to wait for 15 minutes or so so it's longer and longer times. A crate helps a lot with nighttimes too, as well as being rather cranky at night (doesn't take long for my dogs to learn that I'm not so nice to be around at night, so they avoid 'grumpy mom' pretty quick). If you're all happy and positive when they wake up it seems to teach them it's a great thing. I'm not actually mean, but usually put them on a leash, take them out to potty and then right back into the crate, no treats or praise...

Lana

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help, man I was draggin this morning. I am going to attempt the peanut butter kong to buy me a little more awake time in the evenings. I feel so bad about his feeding schedule though, he gets a cup at each feeding and it's like he hasn't eaten in decades every time we put his bowl down. The vet is pleased with his growth (from 10.6 lbs to 17.8 lbs) from 8 to 10.5 weeks of age. He's not even remotely fat, I swear his gaining an inch in height each week. So I will push his supper back to around 7 and see if that helps but he was already starting to jump at the counter and his bowl when I walked in the door at 4:15 today, really pulls at my heart to think he's hungry.

As far as the sleep situation goes he gets crated while we are at work and has I guess what you would call a puppy pack n play for him to sleep in at night in our bedroom. So when he fusses we can hear him as opposed to his crate downstairs. His pack n play also gives him more room to move around in. He doesn't like his crate but I can honestly say when I come home from work he isn't fussing but he doesn't go in without bribery (stuffed kong). I wish he loved his crate more and used it for his private space, but he doesn't. This morning at the 5:30 am trip, DH reported that he came right downstairs and fell back to sleep in front of the couch on the floor. Apparently he just wanted out of his pack n play.

We seem to be doing just fine in the potty arena so that isn't my concern without constant supervision, its the chewing on items around the house that bothers me more. Yes I use bitter apple and tons of toys, but he still manages to find things, so I can't see him being allowed any unsupervised/uncrated freedom just yet.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
When I got Ranger, he was used to waking up at 5:00am due to his foster mom's schedule. The first 2 weeks I had him, he'd go to bed around 7-8, then wake up around 6am. I'd call him to me to wake him up when he was asleep in the bedroom, and I'd rub him with my foot if he was asleep by the couch. If I kept him up until 10pm, he'd sleep in til about 7:30am. Yes, he was grumpy to start with but got used to it pretty quickly.

Now he still goes to bed earlier than me (usually 8-9pm) and I let him sleep besides one last potty-break at ten pm, and he'll still sleep in til 8:30 or later. If he tries to go to bed early (like 5:30 or 6pm) after a busy day, I'll keep calling him to me every 15 minutes to wake him up. I've also used a kong or a bone to keep him from dozing off when we're watching tv or eating supper. This last weekend he went to bed around 6pm after being outside all day playing, plus a 2 hour walk and he didn't want to wake up the next morning! He lounged in bed with me until 11:30am which was perfect. I love that he's now on my schedule.

*Edited to add that Ranger was 9 months when I got him - old enough to adjust to my schedule. I wouldn't have expected him to adjust like that if he'd been really young.

·
Registered
86 Posts
From 8 weeks to the age of about 5 months, we had Daisy on four meals a day, 6am breakfast when we got up, 12 noon, 4pm then between 8 and 9pm her supper.

We weren't too worried about her being a little over weight whilst she was so young, because if they have any illness's whilst so little, their puppy fat can help - which was the case with Daisy, she had to be starved twice due to an illness she had, but luckily as she had plenty of puppy fat, she didn't go too skinny. Also as they get older more excersise soon got her nice and trim.

Perhaps try 4 meals a day and a later supper around 8pm. You can also buy low fat puppy treats for nibbles in between.

·
Kristy
10,425 Posts
Cyrra, I just had to tell you about my vet's comments at Duncan's checkup today. (I LOVE my vet and respect his opinion greatly). I told him that Duncan was still waking up to go out and potty in the middle of the night. He said that in the next week or so Duncan should absolutely be capable of going all night without pottying.

Duncan sleeps in our room in his crate and next week I will be putting him to bed in our downstairs crate in the kitchen for a couple nights to break the habit. I will have my husband (who is a night owl) let him out before he goes to bed around 11:30 or 12 and then I'll set my alarm and get up around quarter to 6 in the morning. I don't think we can outlast him crying upstairs in our bedroom at 3 a.m., so I am going to try to do it this way.

I've read enough posts on here to think that if I continue this much longer, it's really just him training me... we'll see... Keep me posted on how you're doing, I'll be interested to see what you try... Good Luck!

·
RIP Sweet Skyler
9,306 Posts
I'm sorry - maybe it's on another thread - but how old is the little tornado??? Even with the interaction he gets during the day at lunch it sounds like maybe a real regimented exercise time is needed. I know if I don't give RDog at least a good 2-3 mile exercise daily he tends to get a little over anxious!!!! Depending on his age I would look at more exercise and when you deem him old enough invest in DOGGIE DOORS!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nolefan - How old is Duncan again? Finn is 11.5 weeks old.

I will post after work today and keep you updated....

Thanks everyone!

·
Kristy
10,425 Posts
Duncan was born Nov. 9th. He is 10 1/2 weeks right now. Your baby is a week older than mine. Any change? Duncan continues to wake up like clock work anytime between 3:30 and 4:30. Poops and pees and goes back to bed. I know it could be much, much worse. But we really can't go on like this forever. My patience with my 2 legged kids is running very thin with this schedule.... I'm grumpy without my 8 hours....

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
Last Monday my clock was off...I woke up at 2.30 and I heard Tess in her crate, but no whining, so I didn't go down. When I woke up again it was 6.30 on the clock, but boy, it was completely light! A quick look on my watch: 9.30....normally I go to Tess at 5.30, in weekends at 6.30 or 7. I ran downstairs, only to find her vast asleep, woke her up, raced outside and did she have to go! But her crate was dry! Tess is 14 weeks, so there is surely light at the end of your tunnel, too! She's had no accidents in the house for 3 weeks, now.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nolefan - So I decided after a really terrible evening/night on Tuesday that I was going to work is butt off when I got home from work. So yesterday we went for a mile walk (stupid me forgot long underwear or it might have been longer) and I swear that helped so much with his behavior last evening. He only threw a 10 min. temper tantrum around 8:30 and that was loads better than what I went through on Tues. (I actually contemplated returning him to the breeder for an hour Tues as I was shedding tears). Regardless we were able to have a much more relaxed evening last night, we played, we ate, we pottied without to much fan faire. After his little fit he crashed at about 8:45 and I figured I was not going to torture him or myself by forcing him to stay up any longer (he would have crashed at 8 except I bribed another 45 mins out of him with a stuffed kong). So in that regards a good hearty walk definately helped.

Now, for the part I am sure you are interested in is the overnight, well....he did get up at 2:30 and ended up doing both. Then he fussed at 4:30 and DH said he basically dribbled a little bit and that was it. So then 5:45 came and the crying, whining, barking reared its ugly head. DH was just about to get up with him and I told him "no, first off I'm getting up in 15 mins and secondly he needs to learn to follow our schedule" so we both literally put pillows over our heads and laid there while this went on for 10 mins. Then it stopped, of course my alarm went off 5 mins later and I proceeded to get up, get him up, and start the morning routine. I made up my mind this morning, that I will even conceed to one potty break, but anything else, the pillow goes up and I'm going to attempt to wait it out. Thank goodness I only have tomorrow yet for work then its the weekend, so hopefully by Sunday night were down to no more than 1 potty trip. No potty trips of course would be better but hey I'm just asking for a little right now. So I can't say the walk worked any magic in the overnight potty routine, but it definately helped in the evening hang out routine.

So we went for our walk this evening, but only ended up doing about 2/3rds of it. He started to limp on me and when I checked his food it was bleeding, so I don't know if he scraped it on something sharp (tons of hard ice right now) or what, so I cut it short so I could get him home to look at it more carefully. When we got home I cleaned up his foot but it had stopped bleeding and I can't rightly say exactly where it was coming from. So I wanted to get this off quick, its time to feed the little punky and he's already wanting to crash out on me.

PS - I stuffed his kong right after our walk with banana, yogurt, and cheerios and threw it in the freezer for later. I'll keep ya posted and I would love to continue hearing how Duncan is making out....

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
If it's any consolation... IT GETS BETTER. Flora drove me nuts because A) she hated her crate and would leave stinky, liquid presents in it for me to clean up (and clean her!) every morning. She would get me up 2, 3 times a night to go potty and then want to be up at 5am. Anyhow, long story short, she's fine now. Things just resolved themselves as she got older. She usually crashes around 8-9pm and will sleep until usually 7-7:30. Lol, sometimes when I'm really lazy I'll get up at 7, potty and feed her, and then she'll cuddle in bed with me for another 2 hours.

So it gets better. Just grin and bear it. There is a light at the end of this tunnel!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah I know, I would never truly give him up, I LOVE him way too much. It's just when your are sleep deprieved and are missing chunks of flesh things seem to be at their worst....

·
Kristy
10,425 Posts
My husband (and kids, for that matter) love to tease me about spending so much time on this forum, but I swear - I LOVE you ALL~ Thank you..... inge and kdmarsh for reminding me that 'this too shall pass' and cyrra for reminding me that I'm not alone (I had a tough day, PMS, not enough sleep last night, 3 year old daughter wet her bed TWICE last night etc. blah blah blah .... I spent most of the morning trying not to cry because I was honestly wishing I lived somewhere else, somewhere ALONE... It was nice to check in here and get a laugh from you all.

cyrra, I think we will make it.... keep me posted!

thanks for being such a great resource!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts