Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting sooooo upset over this!!! I use Frontline on my dogs from spring through fall. Since I've gotten Max, it's like I'm not putting anything on him at all! He was going nuts this morning scratching and chewing!! He does it more and more and I know it's fleas because when I rub his belly, I see them - little ones, big ones, etc. etc. I've even been treating my cats with this stuff and I've been using it for years and never had a problem so I know I'm applying it right!!

What has me over the edge is last night I was wrapping presents and a flea jumped onto the white back of the paper. Why am I spending all this money and I even treated Max over a week sooner than I should have so what's up?!?!

The dogs are going to the vet on Monday. Any advice/input on this situation? After school tonight I have to go buy that flea bomb stuff for my carpets - I am going barking M A D.

Thanks for your input!!

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
When you've got an infestation like that, you have to treat house, yard and pets. Otherwise, it's a continuing cycle. We use diatomaceous earth and have good results.

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
I would suggest the DE, flea bombing, Capstar for the dog and cats before bringing them back into the house after the flea bombing and switching from Frontline to one of the newer treatments such as Advantage. You can't use Advantix or Vectra3D because of the cats.

Also, do you have a lot of rabbits around? They are terrible for carrying fleas. And you should keep your cats indoors if at all possible.

·
Premium Member
18,639 Posts
Ask your vet for Capstar, it is an oral pill that will kill the fleas present on the dog, and/or Comfortis which also kills fleas present but is also supposed to stop fleas for up to a month.

But you need to treat your entire yard and house to get rid of every flea and stop them from getting on the dog/cat again.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
Frontline doesn't work on my dogs at all. Advantage fixes the problem within a few hours, with no other steps taken.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Capstar the dogs and the cat and then sprinkle Borax on the carpets. Leave it down for a couple of days before vacuuming it up (make sure you put it down when the dogs and cat aren't right there, it's not good if it gets in their eyes). After I put it down, I go through the house with a broom and brush it into the carpets. It dehydrates the fleas, which will kill them. I found the regular Frontline doesn't really work for my dogs, so I use Frontline Plus.

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
The difference between Frontline and Frontline Plus is that the Plus has an IGR (Insect Growth Regulator) so it affects not only the adult fleas but the immature version as well, so it is very good for those who may have ongoing issues. It is also the ingredient that has been implicated in many of the adverse skin reactions, but I tend to think that it has more to do with incorrect application of the liquid.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I had an infectation last year and had to treat the house, yard, dogs and cats.

I used comfortis for a couple of months until I got it under control and then went back to frontline since it is much less expensive.

I hate those horrible little boogers!

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Oh, right, it is frontline plus!! It's working for my 2 cats and 1 dog but not Max and he has the right weight dose. None of my other animals are having issues with fleas. It's just Max. Now the one on the carpet but no one is getting bit and I was like sugar the one time we had this problem. This would make more sense if all of my animals were affected or if we were getting bit up but those things aren't happening.

I have to buy the raid in a can - it's what I can afford. The cats are on flea treatments and aren't scratching. Neither is Willow. So... if I had a bad infestation...wouldn't they be affected?

I just can't figure out the problem. Ugh. Thanks for your replies and your advice/ideas/input thus far!!

Adding: My cats are indoor cats. I treated them as well thinking, maybe the dogs gave them to the cats and the cats keep giving them to the dogs.

Capstar? I'm not sure what that is. I know I'm going to be asking my vet for a different flea treatement as this one isn't working at all. I like the pill ideas.

As for the yard, we have stray cats walking around but now it's freezing out, fleas outside should die right? I can't afford to treat my yard so that's not really an option. :(

And Borax....what is that? I need to look it up - I will for sure try that if I can afford it vrs spraying pesticides in my house in the freezing winter.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
You probably have them somewhere else if they are on Max so bad. Does he go anywhere the others don't?

You could try comfortis on max and see if that solves the problem. I believe you can use it as soon as 2 weeks after you apply frontline of advantage since it works on the body's fat cells instead of through the skin. You have to get it from the vet so they will let you know when you an apply it.

Maybe it just doesn't work as well on Max and he needs a different type of treatment. I believe the comfortis was about $30 for copper, but it sure did the trick.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Borax is a water softener that you can find in the laundry aisle at the grocery store. I think it's about $3 for a box and you can get a lot of carpet treatments out of it. Diatomaceous earth pierces the shell of the flea, I don't know all of the details, and that kills them. Both are safe to use with animals in the house. Much safer than a flea bomb.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Looking for advice which is better Advantage or Frontline Plus?? We are living in Ecuador but my husband is back home in Canada for a week so I asked him to pick up Frontline Plus.......is Advantage better? We can get Advantage in Ecuador. Thanks so much for any advice.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
www.dirtworks.net They have several different grades... I use the flour which is pure DE. There is alot of info on DE too which I highly recommend reading. Most important is to NEVER EVER use DE designed for swimming pools. It has been altered and is very toxic.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have always used Frontline on my dogs but this year it did nothing for Emma. I finally switched to Advantage and we have been flea free ever since. Capstar is awesome too. I used it over the summer when I was still using the Frontline. I keep wondering if Frontline has changed something in their formula.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Our Jack is itchy right now too. I know he picked up fleas at the beach this summer but we have treated him twice. Once with shots at the vet and then about a month ago with Capstar. This is on top of Frontline Plus so I really don't think it's fleas. My son-in-law is in pest control and says that the fleas have formed an immunity to the active ingredient in Frontline. He says Advantage works right now. They use the same active ingredient that's in Advantage to treat flea infestations. I will try the fish oil. Maybe he does just have dry skin.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Make sure if you have rugs over your carpet to vacuum under the rugs. I don't always do this and found out that was where my problem was coming from. I threw the rug away, treated the carpet (borax works great), did the frontline, after a couple of days bathed the dogs in Adams shampoo (pyrethrins) and am now giving capstar. I think it's under control now. Sophie isn't aliergic but Duncan is a mess. So now I'm working on hot spots. Good times. Did I mention how much I hate fleas?!!

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
www.dirtworks.net They have several different grades... I use the flour which is pure DE. There is alot of info on DE too which I highly recommend reading. Most important is to NEVER EVER use DE designed for swimming pools. It has been altered and is very toxic.
And do be careful with the application of it. The vet on the Tick List shared a story of a dog which was blinded by DE. Apparently his owners had applied the DE liberally to his dog bed and when he buried his head in it, the DE got into his eyes. It does work, but use it with caution. I would keep the dogs away while spreading it and until it is worked into the carpet.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
And do be careful with the application of it. The vet on the Tick List shared a story of a dog which was blinded by DE. Apparently his owners had applied the DE liberally to his dog bed and when he buried his head in it, the DE got into his eyes. It does work, but use it with caution. I would keep the dogs away while spreading it and until it is worked into the carpet.

Yes, do be very careful. I do not use it in the house ( although many do) nor on the dogs. We use ours in the yards and flower beds. And the dogs are not allowed in the area until it is down. as you don't want them (or you) inhaling it. It is not toxic per se, but microscopically sharp so could damage lungs or eyes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts