Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i am new to this website..but i have been reading the posts and found them helpful so decided to register.
i own a 1 year old golden retriever .his name is oscar..he is usually obedient and very happy and affectionate.today he was outside in the garden and he picked up something..my mom got worried he might swallow it tried to get him to drop it..he growled and actually bit her!she is vey shocked by the incident as she treats him like her kid and never thought he would do this..what should we do?should we be worried?could he turning aggresive and is there a possibilty of this happening again?
my mom got the shots btw so dont worry about that.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Sounds like you have a resource guarder.

There seems to be some debate here that resource guarding isn't aggression... I've learned that while it isn't, it kind of is, too.

There are a lot of exercises you can do to help. Others here can offer more advice, but here are a few:

- Hand feeding your dog's kibble.
- Begin trading (if he has something, trade it for something higher value. ex. he has a toy, you give him a treat)
- Work on getting a consistent Drop It and Leave It command.

You'll get a lot of support here. Good luck :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks a lot for the reply..we will try these methods out..its just that you do so much for them its a little heartbreaking and shocking when something like this happens.

·
Noreaster
2,081 Posts
Did you get the link to work? I'm new here and still a bit challenged by how the gizmos work!

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

You might also get a full thyroid panel done. Hypothyroidism is very common in Goldens and can cause aggressive behavior that goes away when thyroid supplements are provided at the right dosage.

Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts