Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just so worried and confused with my foster Copper. Yesterday I posted this thread about what was going on with him.
http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/showthread.php?t=71145

Well it has been 24 hours since we have been home and he has still not eaten anything to give him any substance. No more seizures but some coughing with some white phlem (I think kennel cough) and he stopped throwing up around 6 am. I have gotten him to drink alittle water and 2 small pieces of cheese. Cooked up some hamburger and rice to give him and Pawley but he wont touch it. Tried some chicken broth with rice but no wont touch it. I can tell he has lost weight in the 24 hours because he was already skinny. He was put on antibiotics to start his heartworm treatment but we cant give it to him because it has to be given with food.

I have never had a dog not like hamburger and rice or chicken and rice but this guy is breaking that rule. What should I do or just wait till he wants to eat. I can tell he is hungry because when I put the other pups food down he looked at it like he was starving but wont eat.

Should I just let him wait till tomorrow when we go to the vet or should I just keep trying? He is sleeping in the bedroom on the dog bed and I put the water and food beside him. He hasnt been drinking as much this afternoon either.
I am really worried about him.

·
Missing Naughty Charlie
4,539 Posts
Carol when i first took Sadie on she was a bit like that and it turned out she had a blockage of her intestine's and she wanted to eat or that is what her face was telling me but she could not eat as she was sick as soon as she tried to eat.
Took her to the vets they operated and removed part of her intestine and we never looked back she was fine after that.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I used to get Apache to eat with scrambled eggs. And of course, tripe (canned) is great.

·
Premium Member
18,641 Posts
It is concerning he won't eat, he's had so much happen in a short amount of time. It wouldn't hurt to at least talk to the vet that has seen him for the seizures.

Sending good thoughts Carol. I hope he perks up soon.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
a couple of thoughts...
I hate to mention this one, but coughing up phlegm can be indicative of a blockage rather than kennel cough, especially if he's been vomiting or trying to. It can also be a symptom of advanced heartworm.
Put your hands around his neck and gently squeeze his trachea. If that makes him cough, there's a good chance it's kennel cough.
Don't worry about him not eating, for now. Don't try to get him to eat, but do try to get him to drink. Dogs can go 4-5 days without eating and it really won't hurt them at all.
But I would call the vet tomorrow and have him checked out. That's more than just stress going on with him.
Also, you might want to keep him away from your other dogs, if you aren't already.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I'm so very sorry. I don't have any advice other than take him to the vet and have him put on an IV if needed. I think he might need more medical support for a few days.:(

I'll keep you both in my prayers for a quick recovery.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
My first foster had a seizure within 20 minutes of our picking him up. He wasn't terribly interested in food either. But honestly, that was 7 years ago (and the only seizure dog I have fostered), so I don't remember all of the details.

I would definitely take him in for another check up tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
I hope and pray things work out for Copper tomorrow at the vets, and for years to come. Bless you for taking him on, you've been through a lot with him. Hope he at least drinks his share of water tonight to keep him off an IV.

·
New Mommy
6,139 Posts
I am sorry I am just reading this now. IMO this is a lot for you guys to handle, I am wondering if he shouldn't be at an emergency vet for monitering. Heartworm treatment can be very tricky, and seizures too? Even if this was a dog I knew well, Ii think I would still have him at the vet. What does the rescue say? Call me if you want. Keep us posted. Sorry I guess I haven't been much help.:no:

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wont touch a scrambled egg so that is the last thing I am going to give him tonight. I do have the food in an area if he wants it. Not fun trying to keep the other dogs away from it but I will do it.
Talked to the rescue president and she is caling them first thing in the morning and telling them I am coming in.
It is so hard seeing him in this position.

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
My thoughts and prayers are with you and Copper.

·
& Romeo's mom
732 Posts
I sure hope Copper starts feeling better and is okay. Poor baby. :(

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
Oh Carole., I am so sorry that Copper is so sick. Please let us know how it goes at the vet tomorrow. My thoughts and prayers are with Copper and you...

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have been keeping a journal of when he is getting sick, if he eats and drinks. Just a few minutes ago, he drank some and then went outside to pee. Coming in he stepped on a toy and it sqeeked. He picked it up and carried it over and laid down with it. Started coughing alittle but hasnt gotten sick or anything so hopefully he will keep the water down.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Thoughts and prayers for you and Copper at the vet tomorrow Carol. That's good that he is keeping this last drink of water down and actually picked up a toy!

·
New Mommy
6,139 Posts
Glad to hear he's doing better. The coughing is probably from the heartworms.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just have to post this since Pawley got me up to go outside. About 15 minutes ago, he climbed up onto the bed with me. Then he saw a cat and took off. He walked into the kitchen looking at the trash can and I could tell he was interested in it. So I got alittle of the hamburger and rice out and heated it up. He chowed down on it like it was a steak. Only gave him a small amount. And now he is searching all over looking for food. Which I think is a good sign. We are still going to the vet in the morning but I wanted to share this with everyone.
And he has been playing with some of the toys since then.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts