Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am afraid of what I have allowed my little girl to do. I spoke to my vet and asked about limitations of jumping running etc. The vet told me that they (the puppies) know what their limitations are and not to worry about her growth plate and hips if we are not teaching her to do anything beyond what she does naturally. I hope that made sense.

Well, here is my fear. I have been reading over and over on this forum that this is not accurate information. We have been letting her jump up and down from the bed (regular size-not a tall bed). Occasionally she will jump over a little stream we have in the yard and jumps ALOT when playing with the boys. Also, when my sons have snacks they raise their hands over their head to keep her from getting their snacks and she jumps like a crazy dog to get it from them. She is 18 weeks and I am wondering if I have caused damage as she ages.

Also, I think I need to get a new vet. This is also the same vet who told me not to worry about over feeding her at this age. She will burn through the calories.

SIgh, sometimes raising a puppy feels more frightening than raising my sons. Well, kinda....

Thanks for reading.

·
Premium Member
18,641 Posts
Basically the vet is right, normal activity that the puppy chooses to do in it's own is ok. I would, however, not let her jump on and off the bed, that's higher than I'd be comfortable with just from a fall and injure herself perspective.

You really need to teach your children not raise their hands above their heads, it encourages a very bad jumping habit that you will then have to train out of her later when she is bigger, and then it's a lot harder to stop.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I agree with Mylissyk totally. Limit the jumping off the bed, especially teh jumping high from the kids, running on concrete. But normal play is fine

·
est.1989
4,374 Posts
Here at my house my dogs have a walk out basement with stairs, my dogs do these many times per day, along with running the yard ...I don't usually put a young puppy out there much before 5-6 months as I don't want them to play too rough with the little ones...I grow my puppies lean, but don't keep them in a bubble! they don't have surfaces they jump off of, such as decks/beds or the like......I do have laminate in my house, and hate it for slip sliding, but have area rugs around ....to date I have not had one of mine "home-grown" dysplastic...knock on wood!!!!

I think common-sense is a good guide to puppy raising!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts