Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pup is 11 months old and lately seems to be panting most of the day. When we wake in the morning she is fine -- breathing normally, no panting. As the day progresses, a pant seems to be her normal breathing pattern.
I thought it was usually days when we have exercised hard but today it was far to cold for man or beast to go outdoors and she still was panting most of the time. Our house is on the cool side -- we wear sweaters -- so I doubt she is hot. I am going to ask the Vet but thought I'd see if anyone else has had this problem with their Golden.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Goldens pant, mine pant when excited, anxious, curious, hot, happy.... almost anytime. If you are concerned see your vet. I know our first golden had SAS and her cardiologist was always telling us to look for up mouth breathing, I said she is always panting and the Dr. said that is normal in bigger dogs. So if it's not excessive it's probably ok.

·
New Mommy
6,139 Posts
I was thinking heart murmur , maybe? I would have thought a vet would have picked it up by now. Goldens do pant a lot, but I don't really remember my young dogs doing it. I would have a talk with the vet. Keep us posted !

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
My dog is a big panter... unless he's sleeping he's pretty much always panting... its kinda annoying when you're trying to sleep and he's right next to you haha but I dunno... I just figure that's just what Goldens do ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks people for weighing in on this --- I hope it's normal but I will see the vet and I'll let you know what he says about it!! Thanks again.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Like a freight train

Our guy pants like a freight train. Only time he seems to stop is when he is asleep. A trainer we spoke with told us she thought he was anxious.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts