Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both my husband and I work a full day and are gone from the house from 7am-5pm. We have had our 3-4 month old golden, Aspen, for about 4 weeks now. I have been coming home every day at lunch (30min drive each way!) to let Aspen out to potty and a quick walk around the block. I'm realizing this just can't go on forever, but I have too much of a guilty conscience to leave my puppy in a crate ALL day!! We have a nice big backyard, but I'm worried it is too big for him right now and also worried about him digging to escape. I'm thinking about building a fence within our yard to make a smaller area for Aspen so we can leave him outside during the day. I want him to have grass, shade, and shelter (a dog house I guess). Do y'all think it would be ok to leave him outside all day with this setup or is he better off inside in his crate at this age? And also, any suggestions on an easy cheap fence type I could build? Eventually when he is bigger and we have our permanent fence dig-proofed, he can have the whole backyard so I don't want to make this inside fence too permanent.

Thanks for your advice!! :wave:

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I would never leave any dog outside unsupervised during the day. I know mine would find ways to get into trouble.. dig holes, chew siding, eat rocks and get an obstruction. Have you considered a dog walker? My sister uses one with great success.

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
I would be uncomfortable with unsupervised time outside for the above mentioned reasons as well.

My husband and I are both working all day as well and we had our family helping us out those first few months when Koda was much smaller and couldn't hold it as long. Now we have either my mom, my mother in law, or our dog sitter come around the lunch hour for an hour - hour and a half each day and let her out, feed her, walk her. She seems okay with this. We are going to start working on letting her out of the crate little by little (she is 8 months) and eventually hope to have her out in the house so she isn't locked up all day and has the freedom to roam a bit and look outside.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I'm 1/2 hour from home as well and go home on my longer lunch hours.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Is your puppy potty train? As soon as our dog was potty trained, we secured the fence(laying bricks/rocks all around the bottom), and installed a doggy door. Problem solved :)

·
Wyatt Earp
3,595 Posts
We started letting both our dogs outside in our fenced backyard at around 8 months while we both worked. They were just fine. Cody did dig a little while Wyatt never touched a thing. Both my dogs enjoy being outside and have never had a problem.

I think some people froget they are dogs lol!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I would get a dog sitter or neighbor to let her out and play during the lunch hour. I would not leave your dog unsupervised outside all day. Someone might try and dognap that precious little thing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aspen is not quite potty trained yet, but we are working on it. He tells us he needs to potty by going to the back door when we are home and watching him, but if we take too long to open it then he will find another place to pee! We definitely can not let him have free roam of the house when we are away, even for 10 minutes.

Aspen also LOVES being outside, with or without us. When the weather is nice on the weekends, we will leave him outside on his own for most of the day - but only when we are home and have all the windows open to see and hear him. He entertains himself by playing with the soccer ball, chewing on grass (I think he learned that from the cats), and digging.... But he has only dug in the middle of the yard or next to the patio, not at the fence line... YET!

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
I think he's better off inside. If you could give him a space of his own, an x-pen or a baby-gated room of his own he'd be safer and much more comfortable when Houston heats up again.

Penny is never outside unsupervised. Other animals can come along: dogs, skunks. Meter readers, delivery people etc can leave a gate open. Kids could get in to play. It's more than just what the dog might do.

Inside is safer and better.

·
Wyatt Earp
3,595 Posts
Aspen is not quite potty trained yet, but we are working on it. He tells us he needs to potty by going to the back door when we are home and watching him, but if we take too long to open it then he will find another place to pee! We definitely can not let him have free roam of the house when we are away, even for 10 minutes.

Aspen also LOVES being outside, with or without us. When the weather is nice on the weekends, we will leave him outside on his own for most of the day - but only when we are home and have all the windows open to see and hear him. He entertains himself by playing with the soccer ball, chewing on grass (I think he learned that from the cats), and digging.... But he has only dug in the middle of the yard or next to the patio, not at the fence line... YET!

He sounds like my Wyatt. Give him a few more months and I think he will be just fine. You will be happier too because he will not have to rely on someone letting him out to potty:)

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
not helpful :no:

Sadly your puppy is at a stage where he is a veritable sponge and can readily be trained. If your only choices are to crate or be put outside, I would vote for a crate. A Midwestern Life Stages wire crate from Walmart allows you to make his sleeping area just big enough. If he is in a crate that is too big, he will poop and pea in one end and sleep in the other and undo your potty training. Since your lives are apparently too busy right now to train him, you might consider some type of day care that has training classes for your puppy Unfortunately we humans fail to realize that behavioral problems seen as a dog gets older are the result of their humans not doing their job when they are younger. It can work out but it has to do more with luck and genetics than anything else. I would ask your self if you think a child of 2-3 years of age could fend for themselves on the schedule you are currently using and still turn out to be a good child. I am not trying to be ugly rather trying to provide an analogy that most humans can better understand.

·
Wyatt Earp
3,595 Posts
Sadly your puppy is at a stage where he is a veritable sponge and can readily be trained. If your only choices are to crate or be put outside, I would vote for a crate. A Midwestern Life Stages wire crate from Walmart allows you to make his sleeping area just big enough. If he is in a crate that is too big, he will poop and pea in one end and sleep in the other and undo your potty training. Since your lives are apparently too busy right now to train him, you might consider some type of day care that has training classes for your puppy Unfortunately we humans fail to realize that behavioral problems seen as a dog gets older are the result of their humans not doing their job when they are younger. It can work out but it has to do more with luck and genetics than anything else. I would ask your self if you think a child of 2-3 years of age could fend for themselves on the schedule you are currently using and still turn out to be a good child. I am not trying to be ugly rather trying to provide an analogy that most humans can better understand.
What in the world does their working full time have to do with not being able to train a dog? And not trying to be ugly either but what does your analogy about a 3 year old child have to do with anything? Just curious do you work with a rescue organization?

down off soapbox........

·
where the tails wag
13,374 Posts
My dogs are in a secure dog yard while I am at work. The fencing is 6 feet high and partially buried so they cannot dig under it (also have cement running under the fence line) with several dog houses and a heated dog shed. Their yard is well away from neighbors & the road; and is surrounded by woods on 3 sides and a large garage (which attaches to the shed) on the remaining side.

I cannot justify leaving my dogs inside for a full day - I know many folks do this but I just cannot.

ETA: PS: My dogs are certainly not 'neglected' or maladjusted in any way shape or form LOL. I also live in a climate that is way less hot that the southern climes in the summer.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
deceitful? So every other dog on the forum with working parents is neglected and has turned out badly? I hate hijacking someone's thread for an arguement but you are just plain wrong with your attitude and condescention.

Many, many working families have quite well-trained dogs and lovely, well-behaved children. To suggest other wise is just mean.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.