Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tess is doing great so far, slept through the night again, loves her crate and goes there if she decides things have been enough, only has had a few accidents (mainly my fault) and even understands to sit before I put her food down. I sprayed most of the furniture and electrical cords with bitter apple, which seems to help: she backs down if she sees me coming with the bottle. She's very enthusiastic about balls and sqeeze stuffies. I'm not sure how long her duck will remain alive, maybe I should take up hunting with her. So here's my question: When she is playing, she slides on the floor a lot, because she's running like crazy to get her (also sliding) toys. I was wondering if that isn't bad for her. I know lots of people have dogs and hardwood floors, it's just that I see her sliding all over the place.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
Gosh, what a beautiful puppy! How about temporarily putting down a few inexpensive nonskid mats or even ones meant for the shower, til she gets her sea legs? I think it's unlikely she'll hurt herself, but one of our breeders taught us that trick for orthopedic safety, and now it's a routine part of "puppy protocol" around here.

·
Registered
774 Posts
We have an 11 week old and hardwood floors as well. We have a large area rug in the center of our living room. I notice when Duffy comes in from outdoors with slightly damp paws, he will sometimes slip and fall in the kitchen (linoleum floor). But doesn't have much trouble otherwise.

Maybe as she grows it will get better. You're going to keep the hardwood floors, right?!

Best of luck, she is beautiful!

Kris

·
Registered
508 Posts
Slip, Slide and Away!!!! It seems almost impossible to prevent. Wilson is loving his squeeks and chasing balls as well. I keep telling myself.... A bored puppy is a distructive puppy!

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have wood floors, and wood stairs, and Cody does slide when he's moving fast. He is 9 months now. I did put down some additional throw rugs with rubber backs when we first brought him home and still have some down. They help him get his footing and slow down. Our first golden Jake was brought up with the same floors and never had any problems.

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
I agree with putting down some nonskid rugs, until the puppy is older. Slippery floors all the time are not good for growing joints.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I agree with the rugs.. also you will find that the better you keep the fur trimmed between their paw pads, the more traction they will have. I know when my dogs start sliding around that its time to trim up their feet! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts