Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I took C to an enclosed basketball court for some off leash fun with my grand-daughter and neighbour's daughter. He adored having the two girls chase after him and his toys.

A little while into our fun I noticed that a teenaged girl and her dog where entering the enclosed basketball court directly across from the one we were in. When Cocasse saw this dog he was happy at first but that quickly changed. First the dogs just stood looking at each other through their fences and then C started barking like mad. I immediately walked toward C telling him to stop barking and looked at the other dog - he had his hackles up and was barking at C but C's bark is much louder and drowned his out. I tried to get Cocasse but he would not listen to me at all and kept running away from me and barking like mad. If C was on leash I would have made him sit/stay and no barking but he was a wild man. I wanted to catch him and take him home but I couldn't catch the bugger and I didn't want to walk by the angry dog. He only started listening again once the dog left.
Any suggestions on what to do in a situation like this? Would long leash/recall training be good? How do I get him to stop barking in situations like this?
This is the first time he has reacted this way to a dog. He is usually very good and whines if he can't at least meet a dog we see when we are out and about.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
How food or toy oriented is he?

With Kirby I will sit down and open the treat bag, I keep talking to her and keep my voice light and up beat. In a heartbeat she will come running and stick her face int he treat bag. I click on the lead, tell her "Good Come". and off we go (it's so easy when they are food junkies).

Darby I do the same - sit down and talk to him, but I use his favorite ball. He is harder and will hem & haw, but eventually the "call of the ball" is too much for him. He comes, I give him the ball (grabbing his collar at the same time - he can be tricky) and tell him "Good Come".

I practice recalls all the time, Kirby is good, Darby.... not so much. I have a 20 foot lead and we practice recalls in distracted areas. That way I can wheel them in if they aren't listening.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
He isn't normally that way with other dogs, is he? If not, I would say the other dog was putting out some signals that he didn't like one bit.

Always have super yummy treats with you. That way you can try to get his attention with the treats. Make sure you reward and praise when he does come to you. If this is the way he acts every time he sees another dog, then I would say you need to have a long lead on him so you can regain control immediately. If this is an isolated incident, then I wouldn't worry so much about it. Some dogs take an immediate dislike to other dogs for what appears to us to be no reason.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
My post disappeared...

If this is not a usual occurance, I would note my recall needs work, and then just cheat.. 'Dog doggggg!" and toss a handful of treats on my side of the fence...while my dog is eating them..I'd grab his collar, feed a few more treats, leash him up and leave. We'd practice more recalls at home and then at the location while it's quiet... before working in a slightly more distracting setting.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the advice. I think it was just this dog (?) but I'd still like him to listen to me no matter what the situation is for safety sake.
I took him back to the court this afternoon, another dog walked by, he barked once. I called him and he came right away and sat down immediately. Will load up with liver treats and practice recall tomorrow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts