Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ugh! Bailey is so interested in the Christmas tree and won't leave it alone. She has chewed a string of lights(unplugged), chewed the garland, and the fake pine cones on the tree. Bailey also thinks it's fun to have the zoomies behind the tree against the wall and almost knocked it down. :doh::doh::doh:

I'm very greatful that we have a fake tree and not a real one.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I hang paper labels, the kind with string, on the lower end. If they get one it won't harm them.

I caught Noah with his head in the tree this morning pushing a glitter ball with his nose. He went around touching everything with his nose...seeing what made noise and waht did not. Scout is VERY interested in the tree...just a head fully into the branches so far.

Yesterday they decided under the tree was a fun place to play fight.

Last night they were both just looking at it.

I block it off when we are not around.

·
Super Moderator
4,403 Posts
We used to block it off when Asia was younger. Now at almost 5 she leaves it alone but we don't put presents under it until the last minute as we made the mistake of letting her open hers so now they are all fair game!

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We used to block it off when Asia was younger. Now at almost 5 she leaves it alone but we don't put presents under it until the last minute as we made the mistake of letting her open hers so now they are all fair game!
Thanks for the heads up. I was going to wrap Bailey's presents from Santa, but I think I'll leave hers unwrapped.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Hmmm, Samantha is 2 and she just looked at the tree going up and being trimmed and has not bothered it at all.

·
Boudiga
4,102 Posts
we didn't do a tree last year, won't this year either, but when we did, Faith found it the perfect place to nap under. some of the problems we had - her standing up quickly and almost knocking it over several times and thinking the bulbs were balls to play with (mostly pushing them with her nose) and once trying to take it off the tree to play with it.

then, after the first or second day, she loses interest.

·
Sophie's Mommy
197 Posts
so far we don't have ornaments on the tree, but sophie is already trying to munch on the branches (its a fake tree)...i have it blocked by chairs right now, but we're planning to put one of her play pens around it, that she doesn't use anymore...it should make for a beautiful addition to our holiday decor! haha...whenever we go away, the only souvenirs i want is christmas tree ornaments, so we've collected a lot since we've been married and they don't seem to fit on our little charlie brown christmas tree anymore...we were going to buy a bigger one this year, but now seeing her chewing on it, i'm glad we didn't!

growing up we had a male cocker spaniel..he was good about not opening the gifts, but one year he peed all over a wrapped gift for a family friend!! after that, my parents never put gifts under the tree until christmas day! hahaha

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I put up the tree in my kitchen today, Hank tried to chew off one of the fake pine cones but has pretty much left it alone. He sniffed each decoration that I set out so far but hasn't done any damage yet. Since he's gated in the laundry room when we're not home or his crate at night, I'm not too concerned.

·
Registered
55 Posts
We put our Christmas stuff up on Thanksgiving. We were going to modify the decorations for Dakota's benefit. But decided last minute to just do the usual. She has been smelling everything (the tree, snow, garland), but has not chewed on anything. I use the "leave it" command. I do let her smell it but if I feel she is getting to interested, I tell her to leave it. And so far, she has not messed with anything. Can you try to give a command? I did not put any expensive bulbs on the tree this year.

·
Sandy's mom too!
89 Posts
We put our tree up the weekend before Thanksgiving as we do every year. Karly is 6 months and I thought it would be wise to wait until closer to Christmas so that it doesn't sustain much damage this year. My husband and daughter didn't like that idea so we put it up as we always do. Karly has been great with the tree. She was very interested when it first went up. We used the command "leave it" when she would get too interested and that worked great. We didn't put any decorations near the bottom that are breakable just in case she grabs one. We let her have free reign of that floor of the house when we are not home and she hasn't messed with it. We can't put presents under the tree though because she loves to tear up paper!

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
For Max's benefit, we put up our fake tree and went out and bought plastic what's the word....tacky, yes, tacky ornaments for cheap along with a star for the top of the tree. Christmas is a HUGE deal to me and my angel and ornaments have such value (sentimental and otherwise) that I thought it best for all involved not to put them on the tree this year.

So far Max has been really good! He knocks our plastic ornaments off with his always wagging tail as he goes by but that's the worst of it. Staying safe though and keeping our not so beautiful Christmas tree just as it is. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts