Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't usually like posting stuff like this, but please keep Mabel in your thoughts and prayers. She has been vomiting since Wednesday morning and has been at the emergency vet since 8 am this morning (our family vet wouldn't take her even though it was severe 馃檮).

She has kept absolutely nothing down since her dinner on Tuesday night. We have no idea what's wrong. She was totally fine all day Tuesday (she came back from overnight boarding that morning), but on Wednesday she started acting strange. More lethargic and was hesitant to eat her food. We called the emergency vet around 4 and she said she threw up again with a little bit of blood. They have an IV in her and are waiting on blood work and Xray. They don't think it's a flipped stomach.

She's only 1 year old. I don't understand why she's this sick at this young. We lost our dog last year in March due to cancer and I'm not ready to go through this again.

Pictures from Tuesday:

Registered
She's young and getting good care, try not to think the worst. I hope she will be well soon.

Reactions: SeaGlass925

Registered
Praying for Mabel and you.

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7

Kate
Because she was in boarding it's possible/probably she has gastro.... which can come on suddenly and go away pretty quick after it has run its course. She's in the best hands right now at ER vet - I'm assuming they have her on an IV and are giving her meds to calm her stomach.

With bloodwork and xray - they may be checking for blockage or ruling out pancreatitis.

I hope it's the simplest case of gastro and she turns around this evening. :(

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the kind words! They helped a lot.

UPDATE: So it looks like the "vomit" with the small amount of blood was actually diarrhea, which I suppose is a bit less scary. This means she hasn't thrown up since yesterday morning, which is great! The doctors think it's probably a bug of some sort and they don't seem worried about her recovering. She ate a bland diet at 5 am this morning and hasn't thrown up as of now, fingers crossed! We are supposed to call back again at noon for an update. The doctors think she could come home today!

Thank you again for reading and the encouragement. I'll post again once she is home.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mabel is home and acting pretty normal! She followed me down the basement and we even played a bit. She has bad diarrhea, but that is to be expected with the medication and what she's already gone through. Still no vomiting! The doctors gave her anti-nausea medication and she is going to try a prescription dog food diet later on, to help with her sensitive tummy. For now she's eating chicken and rice and a little bit of yogurt.

Mabel seems really happy to be with us again. She's been acting pretty excited all night and keeps mouthing our faces.

Thanks for listening and I'm hoping that this isn鈥檛 a normal occurrence with her gut issues.

Here she is tonight, coiled up tightly like a bagel:

Registered
I don't usually like posting stuff like this, but please keep Mabel in your thoughts and prayers. She has been vomiting since Wednesday morning and has been at the emergency vet since 8 am this morning (our family vet wouldn't take her even though it was severe 馃檮).

She has kept absolutely nothing down since her dinner on Tuesday night. We have no idea what's wrong. She was totally fine all day Tuesday (she came back from overnight boarding that morning), but on Wednesday she started acting strange. More lethargic and was hesitant to eat her food. We called the emergency vet around 4 and she said she threw up again with a little bit of blood. They have an IV in her and are waiting on blood work and Xray. They don't think it's a flipped stomach.

She's only 1 year old. I don't understand why she's this sick at this young. We lost our dog last year in March due to cancer and I'm not ready to go through this again.

Pictures from Tuesday:
View attachment 882726

View attachment 882725
Please have your vet test for Addison鈥檚 disease if they have not already done so. An addisonian crisis can be brought on by stress (e.g. being away from owners in boarding) and presents with GI issues, lethargy, and weakness. It is fatal if not caught in time or misdiagnosed. Dogs who have it typically need monthly medication injections which are pricy but they can lead normal lives and life expectancy is minimally impacted.

Registered

Pictures from Tuesday:
View attachment 882726

View attachment 882725
We went through this with our Cooper when he was only a few months old. Couldn't keep any food or water down. Ended up at the Emergency animal hospital twice in 2 days. They ran a bunch of tests I thought it may have been an intestinal issue. When the surgeon finally went in to operate, turned out he swallowed an entire toy squeaker whole. They just couldn't really see it on the ultrasound originally. So they were able to remove it and he's just fine now. Hopefully there's just a blockage that they can just go in and surgically remove. If that's the case, she'll be fine in no time.

Registered

Pictures from Tuesday:
View attachment 882726

View attachment 882725
Please have the vet test her for Addison鈥檚 disease!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts