Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm more than a bit worried and confused. Greta (8 years old) started having diarrhea about 10 days ago. Took her to the vet 6 days ago and was given medication (capsules) to help with the runs, and special dry food to help. Blood work revealed no parasites or infection. Well - one week later and the runs are no better - even worse. She stopped eating three days ago, but I was able to gently offer boiled chicken and rice yesterday, and she did eat that followed by a bit of willingness to eat some of her regular dry food, but won't eat anything else. She is drinking water and appears to be urinating ok.

So, now her diarrhea isn't improving, but today she started limping (right rear leg) out of the blue. I cannot imagine there is a connection, and I suppose she may have slipped on the steps and bruised a tendon or ligament (?) I am , of course, now concerned about hip dysplasia all of a sudden too.

Our regular vet is back-logged from having been closed during the pandemic, and is now unable to see her until mid July! They run a really caring, quality vet service and have recommended taking her to the local emergency vet hospitalI. Greta's symptoms don't improve tomorrow, I will take her there.

I am asking if anyone here has seen similar symptoms in their goldens and/or what advice might you offer to help her? Thank you for any help.

Doug

·
Registered
775 Posts
The not eating is concerning. So many things it could be. Did they do labwork on her? Test her for Lyme?

·
Registered
420 Posts
My girl did have something similar happen to her. She had cancer in her back leg. However her back leg swelled up so bad the fluid could not drain back out. She also went very quickly.
BUT

Everyone's going to have different stories and outcomes. My girls cancer symptoms could be the same symptoms someone else had for arthritis.. a good and thorough vet check up is warranted . Your pup could be not feeling good and laying on their leg funny.
I hope she feels better soon.
I would take her to an emergency animal clinic

·
Premium Member
4,525 Posts
I wouldn't wait either. I'd ask for an abdominal ultrasound. Your vet should be looking at spleen liver and heart.

·
Registered
798 Posts
This sounds like a tick borne illness or cancer. I hope you took her in to the E-Vet. Tests for tick borne illnesses are notorious for having false negatives. If you live in an area with ticks, they should treat. If she's unresponsive to the antibiotics, they'll likely need to do imaging to look for cancer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm more than a bit worried and confused. Greta (8 years old) started having diarrhea about 10 days ago. Took her to the vet 6 days ago and was given medication (capsules) to help with the runs, and special dry food to help. Blood work revealed no parasites or infection. Well - one week later and the runs are no better - even worse. She stopped eating three days ago, but I was able to gently offer boiled chicken and rice yesterday, and she did eat that followed by a bit of willingness to eat some of her regular dry food, but won't eat anything else. She is drinking water and appears to be urinating ok.

So, now her diarrhea isn't improving, but today she started limping (right rear leg) out of the blue. I cannot imagine there is a connection, and I suppose she may have slipped on the steps and bruised a tendon or ligament (?) I am , of course, now concerned about hip dysplasia all of a sudden too.

Our regular vet is back-logged from having been closed during the pandemic, and is now unable to see her until mid July! They run a really caring, quality vet service and have recommended taking her to the local emergency vet hospitalI. Greta's symptoms don't improve tomorrow, I will take her there.

I am asking if anyone here has seen similar symptoms in their goldens and/or what advice might you offer to help her? Thank you for any help.

Doug
I haven’t had a older dog that had symptoms like these in a long time. From past experiences, A seizure could be in the Horizon. I am no professional though.

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
I'd worry about ingesting something, vector borne disease and hemangio first...
she doesn't need to wait til July. Radiographs and an ultrasound as well as a TBD panel would be a good start.

·
3 goldens
11,790 Posts
I hope by now there has been a diagnosis and proper meds prescribed. Having the diarrhea cloud be very bad--dehydration

Reactions: Prism Goldens

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'll echo Amcrap and errmm. I was going to say Lyme and associated tick-borne diseases. The tests are unreliable though you might try them. Or you might try a couple week trial of antibiotics. If the lameness shifts (ie changes limbs) I'd definitely get suspicious of lyme.

Treatment for some things like lups will hurt a lyme dog so keep that in mind if you or your vet are thinking about immunosuppressive drugs.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Doug
I would take her to the emergency vet. We just lost our 8 year Golden to cancer on his heart. He had no symptoms. One of our dogs had Lyme and was limping. I wouldn’t wait for your vet appointment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts